First Dodgeball. Now...

Jun 27, 2005
Why not... :roll:

Rock, Paper, Scissors, the Sport
Monday, March 20, 2006
By Michael Y. Park

Once again, a simple childhood game has become a worldwide sensation among adults with a sense of humor and penchant for gag T-shirts.

Rock, paper, scissors has gone professional. In an age when organized dodgeball tournaments have become commonplace and curling is an Olympic sport, it shouldn?t come as a surprise that a game known nearly universally in schoolyards around the world has caught on.

"Not many people have the opportunities to compete at the highest levels in a sport," said Graham Walker, leader of the World RPS Society and co-author of "The Official Rock, Paper, Scissors Strategy Guide."

"You have to work all your life to get in the Olmypics or on a football team. What we offer is the chance for anyone who wants to declare themselves a professional athlete to compete at the highest levels and be able to walk away a world champion. That?s why we have people flying in from Norway, Australia, the Czech Republic, 20 U.S. states."

Just barely more complicated than, say, a game of tag, rock, paper, scissors ? or RPS, as pro players like to call it ? doesn?t exactly take a lifetime to pick up.

Players stand about an arm?s length apart, facing each other. On the referee?s count, the players "prime" ? or pump ? a closed hand three times, then simultaneously let loose with one of the three possible throws. Scissors cut paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes scissors.

While some remember the game with an additional throw, such as "match" or "dynamite," the pros stick to rock, paper, scissors.

And by "pros" we mean people who take this game seriously. Last year there were 512 competitors in the 2005 RPS world championship in Toronto.

The number of players, and the enthusiastic media scrutiny that surrounded it, were signs that professional RPS had come a long way since 1995.

That's when Graham ? a Canadian who now lives in Prague ? his brother Douglas and a handful of others sparked the phenomenon with the creation of the Web site www.worldrps.com.

Of course they did so not just with RPS throws at the ready, but also with tongues firmly in cheek: The society's "official" history claims its founding in Great Britain in 1842, as well as a great and bitter rivalry with the Coin-Tossing Confederation, and "archaelogical evidence" that traces RPS's roots to 50,000 B.C., when it was played only using the throw rock (preferably against an opponent's face or stomach).

By 2002, the "secret" society was ready for the big time, and held its first open tournament.

Amused journalists relayed news of the event around the world, and the RPS renaissance was well under way, with the society growing and even some spin-off groups forming.

"It?s the ultimate excuse for a road trip for a lot of people," Walker said. "You get your friends together, and the world championships are happening a couple feet away, and it?s a very electric event for that reason. All these people have four things in common: rock, paper, scissors and a sense of humor about what?s going to happen."

Tournament play is best two out of three, leading longtime players to give monikers to certain popular combinations, like "The Avalanche" (rock, rock, rock), "The Crescendo" (paper, scissors, rock), "The Denouement" (rock, scissors, paper), "The Bureaucrat" (paper, paper, paper) or "The Toolbox" (scissors, scissors, scissors).

It actually gets more complicated from there, with popular strategies including shouting out what move you?ll use just before the throw, creating false tells or just generally acting insane to psych out an opponent.

"If you only have one strategy, you won't get very far," said Shawn Ring, known in RPS circles as Urbanus and considered one of the top eight strategists in the world.

"You need to be able to read your opponent and be able to make decisions based on the style of the particular person you are facing. I am well known for a technique referred to as the Urbanus Defense (which I popularized at the 2002 World Championships), which involves losing the first point of a match on purpose to lull the other player into a false sense of security."

Some common wisdom has developed, including defining players by their preferred throws ? rock players are overly aggressive, scissors players are devious and paper players are passive-aggressive.

"It?s the mentality of inexperienced players to overemphasize the use of rock," Walker said.

All kidding aside, 29-year-old Ring, who lives in Philadelphia, said RPS is a game that contenders do take seriously, when rock comes to paper.

"Of course, you get the comment ?It's all luck? from many that first hear of competitive RPS. I would challenge them to attend any World RPS event and see how they hold up against the competition. Most people who attend these events want to get more involved in the sport, and for good reason."

"It?s no fun if you don?t take it seriously," Walker said. "The more seriously you take it, the more fun you have with it. The people who come out like the idea of being able for one night of the year and, for one night, to take it seriously, and that?s where the fun is."

And Walker sees no end to the number of people who could learn to fall in love with rock, paper, scissors all over again.

"It?s all got the same basic structure, same basic rules in almost every country in the world, and it?s a fascinating cultural game that stayed intact as the game was passed along. When you ask, ?Why rock, paper, scissors,? the easiest answer is: ?Why not??"

Reminds me of the Canadian Olympic "Hide & Seek" spoof. Except it's apparently not a spoof.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
I can't wait to see the first "Rock, Paper, Scissors" related injury.

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
lol wtf?

at first i thought the thread was going to be about rps being banned from some school like dodgeball was.

Cooler

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2005
Great now we get people playing this game for millions$.

I need to creat sport then make money off of it.

Hmm how about Ice ball you goal is nock the other team out using ice one the ground winner is last one standing.

Jun 27, 2005
Tournament play is best two out of three, leading longtime players to give monikers to certain popular combinations, like "The Avalanche" (rock, rock, rock), "The Crescendo" (paper, scissors, rock), "The Denouement" (rock, scissors, paper), "The Bureaucrat" (paper, paper, paper) or "The Toolbox" (scissors, scissors, scissors).

It actually gets more complicated from there, with popular strategies including shouting out what move you?ll use just before the throw, creating false tells or just generally acting insane to psych out an opponent.

"If you only have one strategy, you won't get very far," said Shawn Ring, known in RPS circles as Urbanus and considered one of the top eight strategists in the world.

I think the insane part goes without saying. :p

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
That's all well and good, but if it's not on The Ocho, I'm not interested. :D

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Anyone else think it was going to be an article about schools banning rock, paper, scissors?

Cooler

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2005
Originally posted by: CPA
Anyone else think it was going to be an article about schools banning rock, paper, scissors?

I can see that happing.

Lets just ban all Sports now in PE to stop the drain on legal system.

MrBlahh

Sep 15, 2004
I just met some guy that won the Miller Rock paper scissors thingy they have and is going to Vegas for the championship.

Then a friend of mine challenged him and proceeded to beat him 4 out of 5....

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
A couple of guys were talking about this one morning a week or so ago on a local radio station here. One of them was reading the sports news, with this included, and got as far as saying the winner was going to the championship in vegas before he stopped, and refused to read further.

Apparently the dummy that wrote the release thought it was a good idea to say the guy beat off thiry other contestants to win :eek:.

Then he proceeded to read something about a football player and pronounced some the guy's last name as "F**k You" :p

I was laughing so hard I couldn't see straight.

Nate

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Rock, paper scissors is an excellent game for deciding things.

Against an amateur triple rock is always the strategy to use. Wins almost all the time.