Discussion First contact with Ryzen 5600G... Wow!

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I don't normally get so enthusiastic, but by Jupiter's beard, this CPU is an amazing piece of technology!

Yesterday I finished building the smallest possible ITX machine in an InWin Chopin case, using this CPU. So, no graphics card. Just this Ryzen, with a low-profile Noctua cooler on it. Windows boots within seconds, and it can chew through every home-office task imaginable, like a champion.

And then, out of curiosity, I tried loading up a few games from my collection.

Started with a few classics: Serious Sam and Quake III.
Went through Doom III, Bioshock and Far Cry.
All the way to Doom Eternal and Wolfenstein Youngblood.

Holy crap, this thing will play anything - no freezing, stuttering, or "slideshows". We're talking respectable framerates and general fluency. It feels like having a GTX950 in that little box.

To put things into perspective: some time ago I tried loading up Doom 2016 on a Radeon HD6670 from 2010, and it could barely load the menu; the actual gameplay FPS value was negative :)

Now, I've heard people before saying they don't need a dedicated GPU and I always dismissed that as mere wishful thinking.
But this time it's true. You no longer need a GPU to play games comfortably.

All I can say is "wow". It's been a while since I've been so impressed by a product.

Editing a Mod's comments/warning is a serious breach of behaviour.
There will be consequences for that.
Don't ever do it again.

Iron Woode

Super Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Said everyone at work too when we went from Core 2 PCs to low power "T" Coffee Lakes this year - literally a 10yr jump from 2 cores to 6 cores with 4 times the RAM and Win 10. Even the manager was surprised that Windows doesn't suck when you actually give it resources.

Straight currency conversion makes that 5600G here at roughly $260 USD, how much was your 5600G OP?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Said everyone at work too when we went from Core 2 PCs to low power "T" Coffee Lakes this year - literally a 10yr jump from 2 cores to 6 cores with 4 times the RAM and Win 10. Even the manager was surprised that Windows doesn't suck when you actually give it resources.

Straight currency conversion makes that 5600G here at roughly $260 USD, how much was your 5600G OP?
$239 at newegg

• Wow
Reactions: AnitaPeterson

ahimsa42

Jul 16, 2016
you ain't seen nothing yet-rembrandt (hopefully to be announced in January at CES 2022) with RDNA2 and DDR5 instead of VEGA & DDR4 should offer at least 50-100% better igpu performance than a 5600g.

good times ahead for those who don't want to spend $ for an outrageously priced dgpu but still want to play modern games at 1080p.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001

CA$270. Plus tax, of course. About $220 in U.S. currency...

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I don't really think that it compares that well against a GTX 950 tbh; specially not in older games where the difference in memory bandwidth alone will have a huge effect in performance,
in more modern DX12 games with high vram requirements where the 950 will stumble with 2GB I can see it being a lot closer.

but yes, it's a pretty sweet CPU with a decent IGP, a nice thing to have these days for sure; and it can run most games very decently;
and as mentioned as soon as they move to RDNA and DDR5 there is probably a huge gain, because the basic IGP on the current APUs is a lot like what the 2200G years ago (but the higher clocks do help a lot)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Our crowd can be very pedantic aka tough crowd. But when you step back and consider you are holding in your fingers a chip that looks no different, than say, a 3600, but can play a brand new game like Forza Horizon 5 at 1440p; I think that is amazing.

Then there is how far the Radeon software has come. One click overclocking works great. My 5600G boosts to 4.65GHz, the 5700G boosts to 4.8GHz+. All in a 88W package power. The Vega7&8 do 2300MHz just by changing one setting in the UEFI. It doesn't get any easier than that. It combines for a nice performance boost. Using cheap 3600 cl18 and $100 and under boards, really drives home how much bang for buck you get. Before this, AMD APUs meant getting cheesed on CPU performance, making them a poor choice once a dGPU is added. But these are faster than Zen 2, and bring the extra threads.

My 5600G build is a sleeper. The HTPC ITX case it is in, is so old, the front I/O has USB 1.1 and there is a laptop DVD drive.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
I'm very happy with my new 5700G too. Zen3 just rocks. The IGP is a nice bonus.

I've had that happen a lot with SSD upgrades. People are blown away.

You can say that again. At our organization, we had a unit that was using Dell precision laptops that had decent 6th gen quad cores, but still had 8GB ram and regular HDDs. They we're as slow as molasses and bogged badly with AV scans and software audits. They were considering retiring all of them for new laptops at great expense. We did a demonstration where we upgraded 4 of them to 16GB ram and decent SSDs and the difference was night and day. they decided to upgrade them all.. Saved them tens of thousands of dollars by extending the life of those laptops by several years for a modest upgrade.

Vegasus

Jul 27, 2016
If the 5600G is good enough for gamers, is it also good enough for miners? It would be frustrating for gamers to have a system-on-chip they're satisfied with only for miners to buy them all.

Is the InWin Chopin case capable of S3 sleep? The Asrock DeskMini X300 is another small form factor PC that can take the 5600G but its specs say it can't do S3 sleep, which I would find somewhat annoying.