First computer build need advice

hazyeyed

Aug 11, 2018
Used for browsing / low-mid end gaming

Price range 275-350$

usa

I made this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/L38QcY however the only parts I still need in this list is memory, motherboard, processor, and case but I wanted to link all my parts so incase they wouldn't work together or anything was wrong and you guys could advise me the best

Not stuck on this build or any brand by any means, I just want the best quality build I can make on the cheap but decent quality I heard AMD was good and I think it's able to be OC i'm not sure I also saw this board from what I understand does not support my nvidia gpu and OCing
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vs2rxr/asrock-a320m-hdv-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-a320m-hdv

I'm interested in overclocking but i've never done it before I also am thinking this build would bottleneck my GTX 750 Ti which would mean theres no point to overclock more or less if I understand correct and i'm okay with not doing it if it's not neccessary

1600 x 900 resolution

would like to buy the rest within a month to three months max as quickly as I can afford it

hazyeyed

Aug 11, 2018
How about using Ryzen 2400G? Pair it with dual-channel 2933 / 3200 RAM and you'll have just below GT1030 performance (although AMD's APU driver is a bit lacking in recent months, but I think it's still fine for most MOBA games).
For motherboard, I'm leaning towards ASRock B450 Pro4. Plethora of features for the price.
AMD Ryzen 2400G
GSkill Ripjaws V 2*4 GB DDR4-3200MHz
ASRock B450 Pro4
10$ more is it worth it? I have a really hard time understanding CPU's and especially AMD seems more confusing this seems to have 2 less cores but runs at .7GHz faster
GT1030 meaning GPU so it would definitely be keeping my GPU working at 100% meaning no need to OC?
the motherboard says 3200+OC so doesn't that mean if you OC your ram so no point in buying 3200MHz ram ? or it will take advantage of 3200 MHz even if not OC'd?
Can you explain how this mobo has more features / better

it's do-able but i'd prefer a little cheaper if it's possible

hazyeyed

Aug 11, 2018
Pardon me, I though you didn't have any gpu yet. If you already had one, you probably better off with Ryzen 2600 even though it should be cost just a bit higher than the older 1600 counterpart.

You don't need any OC'ing because this CPU is more than capable to handle your gpu.

This is complete comparison of B450 boards features from AT. Maybe it can help.
Oh... I don't understand your logic no offense

That's good though, it will leave room for improvement if I want to upgrade in the future and i'll be able to overclock correct?

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Oh... I don't understand your logic no offense

That's good though, it will leave room for improvement if I want to upgrade in the future and i'll be able to overclock correct?
Plenty of upgrade, like going up to 8C/16T Ryzen 2700(X). And if AMD decides next year's model (Ryzen 3000), which will utilise Zen2 uarch also can be run on older motherboard, that will be awesome.
Personally, I don't recommend to overclock 95/105W-class CPU on B350/450 board, but I guess 65W-class CPU should be fine to OC on this board. Just watch for power delivery componentry on the board (VRM heatsink/ cooling, amount of power delivery phase, etc)

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Your build is fine, but like ao_ika_red says you might want to go with the Ryzen 5 2600 and a B450 motherboard instead as that is current. Your video card is also good for now, but I would upgrade that later on.

EDIT:
You will want to change that case since it doesn't have front USB 3 ports.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I checked your build again and i can't believed I missed a few things.

1. Change your memory to 2x4GB or 2x8GB ddr4-3000/3200 otherwise with single channel ddr4-2133 will cripple your performance by a huge margin.

2. You want a better brand and larger SSD such as Crucial's MX500 500GB drive.

hazyeyed

Aug 11, 2018
the CPU's we are looking at all appear to be 65W and under why do you not recommend to OC on this board with 95W+?

I'm not going to overclock it if it doesn't need to be, I get that, but I just wanted to make sure this board was capable of OCing if in the future I wanted to

I was wondering that too, if it mattered if I split the memory up into two sticks or one made a difference
Also you're saying 3000,3200 MHz memory like ao_ika_red linked too, but it says on the board next to the memory (OC) next to 3000 & 3200 speeds does this not mean I have to OC to use such a speed? which is why I linked 2667 MHz speed memory in the updated build.

I updated the build too, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kwQfnH

I only have 275-350$ to spend on this, but it's a bit tight i'd rather stay closer to the cheaper side if I can, the SSD I already own as well as the gpu, and psu. What is the difference between this one and a crucial or other it works pretty good from what I can tell.

currently I have an LGA775 HP prebuilt machine with an Intel core 2 duo E7600 OC'd to 3.9GHz 1333 FSB running in it with 4GB ram napa-GL8E motherboard and 4gb ram plus all the parts that I am using in this build

Also do you say long term as in being relevant or long term as in how good the parts are haha

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
the CPU's we are looking at all appear to be 65W and under why do you not recommend to OC on this board with 95W+?

I'm not going to overclock it if it doesn't need to be, I get that, but I just wanted to make sure this board was capable of OCing if in the future I wanted to

I was wondering that too, if it mattered if I split the memory up into two sticks or one made a difference
Also you're saying 3000,3200 MHz memory like ao_ika_red linked too, but it says on the board next to the memory (OC) next to 3000 & 3200 speeds does this not mean I have to OC to use such a speed? which is why I linked 2667 MHz speed memory in the updated build.

I updated the build too, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kwQfnH

I only have 275-350$ to spend on this, but it's a bit tight i'd rather stay closer to the cheaper side if I can, the SSD I already own as well as the gpu, and psu. What is the difference between this one and a crucial or other it works pretty good from what I can tell.

currently I have an LGA775 HP prebuilt machine with an Intel core 2 duo E7600 OC'd to 3.9GHz 1333 FSB running in it with 4GB ram napa-GL8E motherboard and 4gb ram plus all the parts that I am using in this build

Also do you say long term as in being relevant or long term as in how good the parts are haha
OK keep the SSD and GPU that you have now, but what brand and wattage PSU do you have? Are you planning on reusing the PSU from your current system?

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
It's just about power delivery capability from B450 boards that usually lack of oomph when they're pushed over 3.9 GHz all cores. I believe people out there are capable pushing this system over 4+ GHz, but stability-wise, I don't think so.
AMD's Ryzen has something called "Infinity Fabric (IF)" which connects between their 4 core complex (CCX) and this IF is very dependent on memory speed. 1st gen Ryzen (after all AGESA updates came through BIOS update) gained major performance after using 2933+ MHz memory. And I heard that 2nd gen Ryzen IMC is capable of utilising 3466+ MHz memory.

My previous experience with Gigabyte and ASRock mb told me that you only need to change DIMM freq. value on BIOS/UEFI to desired speed and you're done.

hazyeyed

Aug 11, 2018
OK keep the SSD and GPU that you have now, but what brand and wattage PSU do you have? Are you planning on reusing the PSU from your current system?
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Q7...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020120-na
this psu it's linked in first post

It's just about power delivery capability from B450 boards that usually lack of oomph when they're pushed over 3.9 GHz all cores. I believe people out there are capable pushing this system over 4+ GHz, but stability-wise, I don't think so.

AMD's Ryzen has something called "Infinity Fabric (IF)" which connects between their 4 core complex (CCX) and this IF is very dependent on memory speed. 1st gen Ryzen (after all AGESA updates came through BIOS update) gained major performance after using 2933+ MHz memory. And I heard that 2nd gen Ryzen IMC is capable of utilising 3466+ MHz memory.

My previous experience with Gigabyte and ASRock mb told me that you only need to change DIMM freq. value on BIOS/UEFI to desired speed and you're done.

You don't think its possible for anyone to make it stable on this board?

You're speaking another language to me, so this board is capable of utilizing DDR4 3200 MHz speed memory by changing a setting in the BIOS? Why does it say OC next to the top speed?

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
You don't think its possible for anyone to make it stable on this board?
I just don't think you'll reach same results with those who have X370/X470 boards (it's probably just 100Mhz-200MHz difference, but still).

You're speaking another language to me, so this board is capable of utilizing DDR4 3200 MHz speed memory by changing a setting in the BIOS?
Yes. And if you have plenty of time, try reading this thread.
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/amd-ryzen-2000-builders-thread.2543269/
Why does it say OC next to the top speed?
Because official maximum supported memory speed of Ryzen 2000 CPUs is 2933MHz. That's why board vendors only say O.C. for memory over 2933 MHz. But as I said before, you'll easily hit 3200MHz with appropriate memory modules.

hazyeyed

Aug 11, 2018
I'm not expert in SSD world, but I don't really comfortable with your choice. Look something from SanDisk, WD, AData, Toshiba-OCZ, Kingston, and HP.

As for PSU, SeaSonic currently has promo with their S12II 520W PSU on NewEgg.
It will be much better than Corsair's CX offering.
What's the worst that can happen with my SSD, it dies or doesn't run at the advertised speeds? As of right now I think it's up to par.

This PSU is not good enough for this build? I don't really want to purchase another PSU if I don't absolutely need to

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
What's the worst that can happen with my SSD, it dies or doesn't run at the advertised speeds? As of right now I think it's up to par.
As I said, I don't want to talk much about SSD because I also don't have enough experience to justify, it's just matter of brand.
This PSU is not good enough for this build? I don't really want to purchase another PSU if I don't absolutely need to
It's up to task. I just want to give more (presumably better) option for your price range.

hazyeyed

Aug 11, 2018
As I said, I don't want to talk much about SSD because I also don't have enough experience to justify, it's just matter of brand.

It's up to task. I just want to give more (presumably better) option for your price range.
That's ok

Yes it's good choice...... unfortunately I already bought PSU so unless it's just not compatible or won't be capable of dealing with this build then I'll just stick with it... I did lots of research to purchase this PSU I was told it was cheapest best quality one to buy was not recommended the one you linked