First complete review of Haswell i7-4770K

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Sorry I should of been more clear.

I have an Intel i3 2120 and I do nothing CPU intensive. I hope to play BF3 and BF4 when I get a new PSU and computer case to complete my build.

Honestly, thinking about it now I do NOTHING CPU intensive other than wanting to play new and old games on the market.

Might as well wait indeed.

the best thing you can do is to test the games first... if you cannot play the game the way you would like, and you are sure it's a CPU bottleneck, it's pretty easy to upgrade to some ivy bridge i5, keeping your old MB and all....

the i3 seems to be sufficient to play BF3 most of the time, as for BF4, who knows...

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Sorry I should of been more clear.

I have an Intel i3 2120 and I do nothing CPU intensive. I hope to play BF3 and BF4 when I get a new PSU and computer case to complete my build.

Honestly, thinking about it now I do NOTHING CPU intensive other than wanting to play new and old games on the market.

Might as well wait indeed.

Wait, and buy an i7 2700 on eBay in two or three years' time.

grimpr

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2007
Wait, and buy an i7 2700 on eBay in two or three years' time.

By 2014 the 2700k Sandy Bridge would still be an awesome chip to upgrade and at an awesome price too, the Intel Israel Haifa team makes very powerful chips, Intels Skylake should be something similar to SB.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I wouldn't recommend the i3 for BF3 MP.

I wouldn't recommend buying one specifically for playing the game (i5 is clearly the best option what it costs), but he owns one, so why not test the game before deciding?

if you go by the available MP benchmarks it doesn't look bad for what it is (and it's the 200MHz lower version)

http://gamegpu.ru/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/Battlefield 3 Armored Kill/test/b3 ac proz 64 2.png

http://gamegpu.ru/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/Battlefield 3 Aftermath/b3a proz.png

http://gamegpu.ru/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/Battlefield 3 End Game/test/bf3 EG PROZ.jpg

looks playable, adequate for a lower cost system.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
I wouldn't recommend buying one specifically for playing the game (i5 is clearly the best option what it costs), but he owns one, so why not test the game before deciding?

if you go by the available MP benchmarks it doesn't look bad for what it is (and it's the 200MHz lower version)

http://gamegpu.ru/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/Battlefield 3 Armored Kill/test/b3 ac proz 64 2.png

http://gamegpu.ru/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/Battlefield 3 Aftermath/b3a proz.png

http://gamegpu.ru/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/Battlefield 3 End Game/test/bf3 EG PROZ.jpg

looks playable, adequate for a lower cost system.

What those tables doesn't show is the higher timeframes and the awful gaming experience you get with 4 threads CPUs. You will not get more fps but much lower timeframes and much smoother gameplay.
You have to play the game with 6-8 threads CPUs to really understand the difference.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
What those tables doesn't show is the higher timeframes and the awful gaming experience you get with 4 threads CPUs. You will not get more fps but much lower timeframes and much smoother gameplay.
You have to play the game with 6-8 threads CPUs to really understand the difference.

strange, I've seen complaints about 2c/2t CPUs, but not really with 4 cores... considering how popular the i5s are, I think there would be more voices against the use of quad cores with this game... the only testing I can find.

it's SP, but it supports what I've read on forums before (about the game having awful stuttering with dual cores, which can be solved by HT)

http://techreport.com/r.x/amd-fx-8350/bf3-99th.gif

again, I wouldn't recommend in his case upgrading without even testing the game.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
strange, I've seen complaints about 2c/2t CPUs, but not really with 4 cores... considering how popular the i5s are, I think there would be more voices against the use of quad cores with this game...

If you only have an i5 then you cannot understand the difference, i have the i7 3770K and when i close the HT the game is awful. Ill try to show you the difference in the weekend.

Bubba77

Apr 22, 2012
Ordered a PSU for my 4770k build before the haswell readies started dropping. Heres hoping my corsair hx850 works fine.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
If you only have an i5 then you cannot understand the difference, i have the i7 3770K and when i close the HT the game is awful. Ill try to show you the difference in the weekend.
Agreed. Turning off HT on the 3770k just about backs you to a 3570k. It would be like me turning off the turbo in our Solstice GTX 2 liter direct injection engine!:$

Dec 5, 2011
How long before games start taking advantage of 6 cores?

Maybe wait and buy a Haswell until games really take advantage of it?

I'm thinking we may be another generation in before it gets widespread support. If its not faster clock for clock I'm just slapping a 3750k in my new build im planning and calling it a day. Don't feel like paying extra for the integrated graphics I won't even use.

Glaivus

May 25, 2013
Ya know what I find interesting? the i5 and i7 haswell chips perform essentially the same on all the benchmarks. I'm thinking i5 4670K.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Ya know what I find interesting? the i5 and i7 haswell chips perform essentially the same on all the benchmarks. I'm thinking i5 4670K.
That's been the case w/ SB and IB, too. 100MHz is <3%, and HT is highly program- and situation-dependent. If you want to game and overclock, the i5 is definitely the better value (overclocking will easily make up for the cases where HT helps, except in a few HT-friendly content creation programs).

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
That's been the case w/ SB and IB, too. 100MHz is <3%, and HT is highly program- and situation-dependent. If you want to game and overclock, the i5 is definitely the better value (overclocking will easily make up for the cases where HT helps, except in a few HT-friendly content creation programs).
Crysis 3 is an exception as it uses HT really well and an i7 will perform better than an i5. by how much will depend on where you are in the game as some spots will nearly max out an i5.

Last edited:

CrazyElf

May 28, 2013

It really depends on what you use the CPU on. For raw gaming, just save some cash and get the i5.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Theres a ghost in here saying. Wait 2 months and buy a 6 core 12 thread monster which will beat a haswell 4 core which is all they will see all year. In 2014 Haswell E brings back 6 core. Its gonna be desktop 6 core for a long time.