First Clone baby birth claimed; It's a girl

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: McPhreak
Originally posted by: vtqanh
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
If cloning becomes too popular would it not have an adverse affect on the gene pool? Genetic diversity is central to disease free, healthy evolution.

I think that cloning is just an important step in science; there will come time when they can manipulate DNAs to eliminate disease; but cloning lies before that event in the timeline...

And Tominator, you can call me ignorant, too. Because i support cloning. It will help science greatly. If anything is wrong with it, it's just some religion stuff, which i could care less.

I have a feeling the clones will begin to develop cancer and other age-related problems very early on in their life.

If you don't care about not cloning for the sake of society, don't clone for the sake of the clone itself. :confused:

edit: oh BTW, I call BS on the whole "we have a live clone" ordeal. The woman who gave birth was probably fvcking around with one of the orderlies in the cult.

Cancer is not an age-related problem. It's an environment and lifestyle related problem.

Cancer is very much an age-related problem.

Although DNA polymerase is very efficient, it is most certainly not error-free. Even with the numerous proof-reading and error-correcting mechanisms available to the cell, point mutations will still naturally occur as cells replicate. Hence, the longer you live, the more likely you can expect to get cancer some time in your life despite any sort of precautions you may take.

In other words, cancer is very much an age-related problem and is very much influenced by environment and lifestyle.

vtqanh

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
With current knowledge regarding this matter, conservative scientists would argue that there would be no advantages of cloning
However, history has proven many times that there have been a lot of great things that were not welcomed when they were discovered or invented yet later on proved to be useful.
About the aging process. Pretty much everything in a human body is controlled by chemical substances. Why do you get angry?, because there's been some "angry" substances that interact with your brain. Why do you feel pain? Because prostaglandin was created in your , touching your nerve ending system... (Aspirin disables the enzyme that helps making prostaglandin, that's why aspirin is called pain killer). Back to the aging, if the substances that "age" the cells can be discovered and controlled, we will have some kind of age-pi-rin ;) to disable it (or at least slow it down).
I know it sounds like science fiction, but a lot of science fiction things have become reality.

WoofyJr

Jul 31, 2002

Believe me, those are hoax..... They even don't have any proof to prove that her baby is cloned.... Wait and see...

WoofyJr

Jul 31, 2002

If it's true, i feel sorry for that baby cuz when she gets older, she will be treated differently... I m against human clone because it's not right...

vtqanh

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: WoofyJr
If it's true, i feel sorry for that baby cuz when she gets older, she will be treated differently... I m against human clone because it's not right...

I totally respect your personal opinion. It's not right by your definition of "right". Other people definition of right and wrong may be different.

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I used to respect you grasshopper but lately I'm starting to think in your case somebody cloned a friggin turnip to make you. I'm not even going to bother listing all of the things wrong with your line of thinking. I'm not even sure I can believe you really think that way. I'm hoping you were either being sarcastic or just spouting off nonsense to get your post count up.

And to the couple of people spouting off that cancer is age related, explain how young children sometimes get cancer.

Rakkis

Apr 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Tominator

There are NO SUCCESSFUL INSTANCES OF SUCCESSFUL ANIMAL CLONEING!!!!!
Cloned animals DIE EARLY! From DISEASE that we cannot explain! They have ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMS yet to be explained!
Would you pollute an already strained gene pool?

What's your point? New fields in science don't start off with laws, rules, and working models. They acquire these through stumbling through their beginnings.

Originally posted by: The_good_guy
It turns out that because we men have only 1 gene coding for us (and a 1/2 a Y gene) the default clone would always be a female. Us men are born because of that Y gene otherwise default is an X gene and it means its a woman.

If they ahve to clone a man its goign to be harder because the Y gene is a lot more complicated than an X gene.

That would be the Y and X *chromosomes, both the repositories of hundreds of genes each. And the X chromosome is larger, thus more complicated than the Y chr.
Females have two X chromosomes, while males have one of each. One of the Y chromosome's genes codes for androgens (testosterone family). Which is used a a signaling molecule to "turn on" male-related proteins.

Males would be more complicated just because there are more proteins involved, thus more things to worry about while keeping the developing fetus alive.

Originally posted by: element®

And to the couple of people spouting off that cancer is age related, explain how young children sometimes get cancer.

Cancer is a tricky thing, so let's define it first. - "uncontrolled loss of cellular division controls leading to greater than normal cell division (tumors) that can metastesize(sp?) and spread to other tissues in the body." i think that's a fair definition.

Anyway, throughout your life, your cells die, some tissues more than others. To compensate, cells divide. There are many mechanisms by which this division is kept under control.

Cancer develops when these mechanisms break down. This could happen by the following reasons:
1 - congenital (at time of development) mutation of organism. (REASON WHY MOST YOUNG CHILDREN GET CANCER)
- from parents' sperm or egg cell
- cell division error at time of fetus formation

2 - mutation acquired at a later point in life.
- chemical carcinogens (ANOTHER REASON FOR YOUNG CHILDREN, THOUGH NOT AS MANY AS THE OTHER ONE)
- mutation due to virus
- old age

all of these reasons pretty much work the same way. dna is changed and proteins that control cell division stop doing their job.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I'm no bio expert, but banning cloning altogether seems harsh. Where would we be without Galileo?

Woman A breaks her neck in a freak accident. She is still fertile, so a doctor extracts an egg cell and the DNA from one of her other cells. The doctor initiates a clone embryo by zapping the cell (or whatever they do). The next few cells to be produced are, IIRC, called stem cells. They have the unique property that they can turn into bone cells, muscle cells, blood cells, or, important to this scenario, nerve cells. Somehow, the doctor grows nerve cells from the embryo, and uses them to fix the woman's neck. She walks again.

Electricity can be used in an electric chair, or in a heater. Nuclear technology can be used for bombs, or for radiation treatment. Rockets can carry neutron bombs, or put a man on the moon.

Personally, I'd take my electricity, nuclear tech, and rockets, despite the fact that they may be misused.

To blindly advocate the banning of some new technology is premature at best. It doesn't matter how much you think you know because no one really knows much at all about cloning. How can anyone claim to know that no good can come of something that has never been done before?

And to those who say: "We won't ever be able to fix someone's broken neck from cloning." Just remember that the world was once flat, the moon was made of cheese, and everything revolved around us.

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by: silverpig
I'm no bio expert, but banning cloning altogether seems harsh. Where would we be without Galileo?

Woman A breaks her neck in a freak accident. She is still fertile, so a doctor extracts an egg cell and the DNA from one of her other cells. The doctor initiates a clone embryo by zapping the cell (or whatever they do). The next few cells to be produced are, IIRC, called stem cells. They have the unique property that they can turn into bone cells, muscle cells, blood cells, or, important to this scenario, nerve cells. Somehow, the doctor grows nerve cells from the embryo, and uses them to fix the woman's neck. She walks again.

Electricity can be used in an electric chair, or in a heater. Nuclear technology can be used for bombs, or for radiation treatment. Rockets can carry neutron bombs, or put a man on the moon.

Personally, I'd take my electricity, nuclear tech, and rockets, despite the fact that they may be misused.

To blindly advocate the banning of some new technology is premature at best. It doesn't matter how much you think you know because no one really knows much at all about cloning. How can anyone claim to know that no good can come of something that has never been done before?

And to those who say: "We won't ever be able to fix someone's broken neck from cloning." Just remember that the world was once flat, the moon was made of cheese, and everything revolved around us.

Wow. Very well said sir.

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
No one is advocating banning cloning altogether. Just human cloning. Or would you not mind if a human were to be tortured? Because that is what it is at this stage.

edit: And Rakkis, would you care to explain now how cancer is age related? It is still the same disease regardless of what the cause was.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: element®
No one is advocating banning cloning altogether. Just human cloning. Or would you not mind if a human were to be tortured? Because that is what it is at this stage.

edit: And Rakkis, would you care to explain now how cancer is age related? It is still the same disease regardless of what the cause was.

I can edit my post to say banning human cloning then...

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I'm not saying that we should allow people to clone themselves to have kids right now at all. But to put a complete ban on any human cloning, including stem cell research and a myriad of other applications is overkill.