First Car for 10k or Less?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kitatech

Jan 7, 2013
Tell ya why I like a stick...
The engine "braking" keeps me from speeding over the limit...if I want to stay under 40, I just stay in 3rd...croozin easy in 4th @ 40-50.

I can drive around town in 3rd most of the time....as long as I'm moving even a bit I can avoid 1st, and as long as I'm @ 10mph I can stay in 3rd...

arnoc

Feb 16, 2012
I'm really going to have to consider stepping up my purchase sooner than I wanted. I used the Durango's thing today to see what the average MPG I was getting on my ride home from work. Anyone want to take a guess at how bad it was?

The Answer :
9 MPG. Not Even Double Digits.

The best I got roughly going through the only portion of town at 50 MPH? 18.

Woosta

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2008

Is this a joke? A BMW that's 162,000 miles?

Honda Element? A box on wheels??

The mazda 3 has 129,000 miles..

Do not agree with *anything*.

Also, OP I think I have a vastly different taste in cars but maybe I can make you change your mind:

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/3608532527.html Scion tC - Toyota reliability but with a sportier look
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3656789631.html Accord Coupe EX V6 - but you should probably get non-V6 for better mpg, it'll be cheaper too
http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/3637732418.html Acura RSX - coupe version of the TSX that looks better than tC and Civic, and better build quality overall
http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/3574139633.html Civic Coupe - great mpg, honda reliability, lightweight, better interior than RSX

You do realize that Honda and Toyota are the most reliable cars on earth, right? There's a reason everyone buys them.

Woosta

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2008
Actually the Mazda3 is a good pick but would not get 129k even if its highwaymiles, there are conflicting arguments on whether its better to get 129k higihway vs 50k city.

tweakmonkey

Mar 11, 2013
tweak3d.net
UPDATE:
Due to suggestions from the topic, I've been focusing in on a few models.

1)2005 Toyota Camry LE: 4 Cylinder Automatic with 127,679 miles for $8,900. Hoping to talk dealer lower, as found a similar model for 6,500 out a dealer (within range of me, but much farther than I'd prefer to go, and I like the color less). Color is listed as: MINER GREEN. Wish I could find on in bright red or a dark color.

BORING. You're not 60 and this isn't your first car right? (no offense to anyone :))

2)2007 Ford Fusion S: 4 Cylinder Manual with 87,687 miles for $8,378. Red. My grandpa really enjoys his, only drawback is I don't know how to drive manual (I understand the concept, and when I was really young used to drive a manual riding lawnmower, but it's been ages since I've done it).

I think a Focus would be a lot more fun. One of those newer ones but maybe they're way too expensive.

3) A 2003 Mazda Protege5 with 93,081 miles for $7,000 from a dealer. 4 Speed Automatic. Low on my interest since it's so far away to grab, but still slightly interests me.
That's better but I think the Mazda 3 with a manual would be way better.

I'd look at the best mileage-getting Acuras (since that was your first requirement I believe ^) because they'll be reliable, nice and fun. Mazda seems like less quality for a similar car (IMO). Toyotas are just too boring.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
That's what a manual is good for. It makes driving around in the city much more fun. You get to pretend you're in a heist movie

Jason-Statham-Car2-480x415.jpg

In your 10K car.... haha nice

OP: See if you can find any decent 2004-2006 Mazda6 with the 2.3 engy. Good handling, decent power but didn't have the rust issues the Mazda3 suffers from. However, having owned the Mazda3, I can say if you can find a decent one, buy it. Fun cars. But you will need to likely spend some cash - motor mounts, suspension and steering are weak points. And Rust. Watch out for that shit. GL

kitatech

Jan 7, 2013
Oh yeah, Camry dude abides.....he got his 05 5-speed LE with 97k miles and new clutch, (+ master/slave cylinders, acculumator), new front tires, new windshield....

....for $7k from the dealer out-the-door...the trade-in value...don't settle and pay any more for such a car....

ps. a camry stick is a safer bet than a honda stick, given that a lot of honda sticks are owned by kids on the run for fun, and it may really be that most camry owners ARE 60+ years old...I am...who (unlike me) lollygag thru the gears on their way to early bird dinners

...though ironically my camry needed a clutch because I guess the prior owner, of the under 60 set, didn't know how to run a clutch...

Last edited: