Question Firestick total waste of money

DDD1953

Dec 9, 2021
Bought a Firestick for a TV not near a cable connection in my house. What a crock of crap. I can't even get the remote control to work (tried 3 different sets of batteries). So, I can't even set it up. So tried an app for my phone which is a "remote control" and it won't even connect for a signal. Total waste of money!!!!
Don't even bother. There must be something other I can use, but I can't even get my money back because I bought if from Office Max instead of Amazon.
Totally disgusted!!!

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Bought a Firestick for a TV not near a cable connection in my house. What a crock of crap. I can't even get the remote control to work (tried 3 different sets of batteries). So, I can't even set it up. So tried an app for my phone which is a "remote control" and it won't even connect for a signal. Total waste of money!!!!
Don't even bother. There must be something other I can use, but I can't even get my money back because I bought if from Office Max instead of Amazon.
Totally disgusted!!!
office max takes returns, didnt know the firestick required power?

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000

Yes, Officemax/Depot accept returns just like anyone else. Return it and get a Roku Stick instead. IMO they are easier to use and more compatible in general. I switched my parents from a Fire Stick to a Roku Stick and they like it a lot more.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I've used firesticks in two different locations for several years now and they have worked flawlessly. I imagine Amazon sells millions (probably tens of millions) of them a year. I strongly suspect "operator" error. Is the firestick plugged into an electric outlet and plugged into a HDMI port on your TV? Is it showing up in your wireless network?

Reactions: dank69

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I've given quite a few of them as gifts the last three years and as far as I know none of the owners have had any problems with them.

I suspect that OP just got a bad device. If he doesn't want to return it to the store, I'm sure Amazon will swap it under warranty if it is defective.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've used firesticks in two different locations for several years now and they have worked flawlessly. I imagine Amazon sells millions (probably tens of millions) of them a year. I strongly suspect "operator" error. Is the firestick plugged into an electric outlet and plugged into a HDMI port on your TV? Is it showing up in your wireless network?
Did he change the input source for the TV?

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have used 2 of them and they both work as intended. I suspect you simply got a defective one (not unheard of for electronics, hence the "DOA" (Dead On Arrival) acronym). Return and replace.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Yes, Officemax/Depot accept returns just like anyone else. Return it and get a Roku Stick instead. IMO they are easier to use and more compatible in general. I switched my parents from a Fire Stick to a Roku Stick and they like it a lot more.

The advertising is less obnoxious on a Roku as well. Forget Amazon and their giant home screen ads that take up half of the screen.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
My sister's remote died on an old firestick I gave her. She has two kids and I suspect they got it wedged between the cushions or they fell asleep on it or they laid something on top of it ruining it. They used an app to navigate the firestick for the longest time before I found another firestick on sale. Also, buying just the remote is not feasible when they cost almost as much as a 4k firestick when they are on sale for $25.

You want to be ticked. Buy one of the older 2017 Nvidia shield tvs for $150 and deal with their crappy remote that takes watch batteries. I had to buy another device just to connect all my devices to my tv and use that remote to navigate the shield's interface.

Feb 4, 2009

pretty much this. Fire stick is fine (my old one ran sort of hot but that was years ago), roku is as easy set up and works with more stuff in general.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Another vote for user error, even if the error was not trying it within the return period then returning for a refund or exchange when it didn't work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steltek