Fireplace: Gas or Wood?

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
I'm building a home and have the choice of no fireplace, a gas fireplace or a wood fireplace. The wood fireplace costs about 60% more than a gas fireplace, but I really like the idea of a wood burning fireplace.

If I end up going with a fireplace (so that's it's covered under the 10-year structure warranty from the builder), should I go with gas or wood and why?

Last edited by a moderator:

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I'm building a home and have the choice of no fireplace, a gas fireplace or a wood fireplace. The wood fireplace costs about 60% more than a gas fireplace, but I really like the idea of a wood burning fireplace.

If I end up going with a fireplace (so that's it's covered under the 10-year structure warranty from the builder), should I go with gas or wood and why?

wood. Gas gets expensive pretty fast.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Well, I'm in Florida and have a wood one actually that I rarely use.

My uncle used to have a gas one in his basement, never really cared for it.

As far as practicality, I'd say none. A lot of your heat can get funneled out of one in Michigan.

But I've always liked having one, even when I lived in Indiana we would start a wood burning one now and then and even sleep in the living room watching a movie on sleeping bags, just because a nice wood fire is just soothing.

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
but I really like the idea of a wood burning fireplace.
No you don't. Wood, get it, split it, kindling, stoke the fire, daily PITA, ashes, repeat plus something I forgot. Unless you have access to free wood like a guy I know up your way or gas is too expensive.

Gas...turn the knob, push the button...walla :)D)...flames and heat. And the wife is happy, fire every night for 30 min, turn it off. Gas is cheap.

Aside, understand the difference between vented and un-vented logs. They both need venting.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Ventless means no heat escaping via your chimney :)thumbsup:) but you MUST have enough sqft to account for the carbon monoxide.

We have a 1937 chimney that has the dampener closed and the gas logs. I could go back to wood later.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Gas. A new, well insulated home doesn't need nor should have a wood burning fireplace. Wood is dirty, polluting and a general p.i.t.a. (I grew up in a home in the Sierra Nevada with a wood stove - taught me to hate them).

krose

Aug 1, 2004
Gas. I've had wood, coal and gas. Gas fireplaces have a thermostat. Our Mendota has a remote with which you can turn the temp up or down, control the blower fan, adjust the flame size, and shut off one of the burners as needed. Wood and coal are a pita. They're dirty, and it's either full heat or none. Gas only comes on when you need it.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
I would skip the fireplace all together. It frees up wall/floor space for other things and the money saved will pay for a few winters worth heat for the house.

IMO they just don't make sense anymore unless your in an off-grid cabin or something.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I would skip the fireplace all together. It frees up wall/floor space for other things and the money saved will pay for a few winters worth heat for the house.

IMO they just don't make sense anymore unless your in an off-grid cabin or something.

Let me guess, you prefer a modernist style, open concept and, a white kitchen.

I like fireplaces but prefer gas inside. The wood fire goes in the fire pit outside.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Gas. You will actually USE a gas fireplace, whereas wood will get used once a year at most.

Either will up your insurance, of course.

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
Have you considered a wood stove????
first.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Drolet-High-Efficiency-Wood-Stove-HT2000/dp/B000A6D196?tag=finest-fires-20

41TngRShHjL.jpg
large_osburn-1804e5e482829e41.jpg

vader-log-burner.jpg

Last edited:

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
Let me guess, you prefer a modernist style, open concept and, a white kitchen.

I like fireplaces but prefer gas inside. The wood fire goes in the fire pit outside.

:) I like some modern/minimal architecture but it's easily overdone.

I'm more of a functionalist. Many houses need a source of heat. What is the best way to fulfill that need? To me a gas fired boiler feeding a concrete floor as a radiator does that really well.

Fireplaces are mostly meant to appease women.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I would go with wood, but make sure it's one that works like a wood stove, ex: closed combustion. A traditional wood fireplace actually sucks so much air outside that it makes the house colder.

Also consider whether or not you can afford to use up that wall. My house has an old wood fireplace that I've been debating on converting to a wood stove insert, but problem is, it's literally in the way. The TV is on the opposite wall, so I need to put the couch sideways, and I can't put the TV anywhere else because one side is the window and other side is dining room. So I'm actually debating on ripping out the fireplace so I can put the couch there.

But since this is a new house you can make it work. Personally I'd try to fit in a wood stove. Depending on fossil fuel is bad, it's not sustainable, so it's nice to be able to burn wood for heat.

I'd love to put in a wood stove, I might put one in my basement at some point. It would act as supplementary or backup heat. Price of electricity and gas keep going up, but wood, you can just go cut down some dead trees, it's practically free.

If I had a big property I'd actually look into some kind of steam turbine system to generate power from wood too. As oil prices keep going up, it actually starts to make sense to go back to "old fashioned" ways, but with a higher tech approach. Newer wood burning appliances are much more efficient than they were before.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
until you get your gas bill in.

My house has a gas stove and a gas furnace, and the highest my bills ever get are maybe $80/month in the winter. Mind you, the house is small and I keep that thermostat low, but natural gas is quite cheap.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I grew up with a wood fireplace. It always reminds me a family, warmth, relaxation, etc...

even my cat liked the fireplace.

nowadays you can get a reburner or high efficiency insert and have 90% efficiency, can heat a 2600sqft house and your exhaust is water vapour. 2 logs can last nearly 30 hours depending on model.

you would also consume less wood.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I would go with wood, but make sure it's one that works like a wood stove, ex: closed combustion. A traditional wood fireplace actually sucks so much air outside that it makes the house colder.

Also consider whether or not you can afford to use up that wall. My house has an old wood fireplace that I've been debating on converting to a wood stove insert, but problem is, it's literally in the way. The TV is on the opposite wall, so I need to put the couch sideways, and I can't put the TV anywhere else because one side is the window and other side is dining room. So I'm actually debating on ripping out the fireplace so I can put the couch there.

But since this is a new house you can make it work. Personally I'd try to fit in a wood stove. Depending on fossil fuel is bad, it's not sustainable, so it's nice to be able to burn wood for heat.

I'd love to put in a wood stove, I might put one in my basement at some point. It would act as supplementary or backup heat. Price of electricity and gas keep going up, but wood, you can just go cut down some dead trees, it's practically free.

If I had a big property I'd actually look into some kind of steam turbine system to generate power from wood too. As oil prices keep going up, it actually starts to make sense to go back to "old fashioned" ways, but with a higher tech approach. Newer wood burning appliances are much more efficient than they were before.
check out Regency Fireplace:

http://www.regency-fire.com/Products/Wood/Wood-Inserts.aspx

tortillasoup

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2011

Go with an electric fireplace. You don't need an actual fireplace, just for the ambiance. Real fireplaces are just places for heat to escape from the house (a bad thing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSv7VHNRrzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcaKYfqw1oA

http://www.amazon.com/Dimplex/b/ref...588448011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Dimplex

These look more realistic than a cheap log with a gas flame behind it IMO.

These fireplaces allow you to select for heat on or pure ambiance mode so that you don't have to waste energy just for the visual effect.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I would go with wood if offered the opportunity. Why? Because I know gas will cost a fortune. My sister and her fiance were using their gas fireplace and the bill was outrages.

If I did have wood I'd make it a Ben Franklin type. That way the heat goes in all directions and not straight up the chimney.