Question Firefox stopped loading any webpages

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This is on my work PC running Windows 7, I have two versions of Firefox since Citrix will only work in a really old one. I'm trying to migrate everything to the newer one (89.0 - won't let me update it further) so I can use the old one only for Citrix and nothing else. Everything was going well until suddenly it just decided to stop loading anything. If I click on a bookmark, or type a url, it just does nothing. Anyone ever see this before? How would I get this working?

Existing stuff that's already open seems to work but can't open anything new.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That didn't do anything. If I go into the dev tools and load "network" I can see it actually make the query to the site, but it does not show anything in the tab. It also does not load anything else like site images etc. It's like if it just queries the url then does nothing with the response.

I'm trying to stick to regular FF and trying to align my setup with the corporate standard. We have so much java and activeX crap that it's hard to make everything work in one browser but lot of the stuff does work in this newer one... at least until now.

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
Think I had a similar problem with FF back in March - just quit working after I upgraded to ver. 85.0(?). So I downgraded back to 79.0, which seemed to work - webpages would actually load again. So I started futzing with saved user data to import it into the new version. But then discovered it had auto-updated itself to the current version 85.0 without my consent. So I was using the latest version with no problem, even though it hadn't worked originally and prompted my downgrade. Bizarre. Not sure I'm explaining it well.
I'm just glad when things fix themselves.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Does edge or iexplorer work fine? If not you have other issues.

Does firefox work fine when it's in safemode/troubleshoot mode? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/diagnose-firefox-issues-using-troubleshoot-mode

You can try a new profile or refresh firefox. Just be sure to backup bookmarks, add-on rules like noscript whitelists, etc.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Tried private mode, no go, tried new profile, and that works. So guess I will just do that then and create a new one.

it's also confusing since there's one called "default" and another called "default-release". It says the 2nd one is currently in use but then it also says the other one is in use by other applications. Some weird stuff is going on here. so yeah at some point when I can I will have to just create a brand new profile then reimport my bookmarks.

I also want to find a way to get rid of the other Firefox but it seems to be the only thing Citrix will work in. It won't work in IE or Chrome. I had another application that would only work in that old browser but it suddenly stopped working and now only works in IE in admin mode. So many messed up web pages at this company... I wish they would stop using java and crap like that since it's too system/browser specific and it does not take much to break.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I've never messed with the profiles. My default-release profile has today's date while default has a date in march which may have been when I built this PC.

When I had a firefox issue a refresh fixed the problem. That's about the only troubleshooting I've had to do and it was because loading my daily tab group was taking too long to load.