Question Firefox spellcheck language in windows 10

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
In Firefox in Windows 10 if I try to change the language it just opens the Windows language settings dialog box, instead of just letting me pick the spell check language that is active for this particular textbox. I don't actually want to change the language for the entire operating system. Is there a way to get this functionality back where I can quickly select a spell check language without messing with the OS settings? I sometimes need to switch between French or English.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Are you talking about the reply box on anantech forums? If so when I right click in the area I'm typing in I see the spell check and below it is the languages selection. In language if I click add dictionaries it takes me to this link. English is the only option I have installed.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Reply box here or any other box on any site really. At work when I need to send a network flash sometimes I have to do it in French and sometimes in English so I just want to be able to quickly select the language. On Linux it works fine, the language is just an option in a right click menu, but in windows 10 it opens the OS language settings instead.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Reply box here or any other box on any site really. At work when I need to send a network flash sometimes I have to do it in French and sometimes in English so I just want to be able to quickly select the language. On Linux it works fine, the language is just an option in a right click menu, but in windows 10 it opens the OS language settings instead.
I was able to add the French language and spelling packs from the link I posted. I was also able to select it in this box by using the right clicking menu but it only seems to affect spell check though. I don't speak French so don't quote me on that one. I believe you may need to change the language in Settings - General - Languages which may require a Firefox restart. I'm still using Firefox 99.0.1 in Windows 10.

Surely someone here uses multiple languages and can provide a better answer.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Hmm wonder if it's specific to my work then, maybe it's some weird GPO. I don't have another windows 10 machine (ex: non work related) to test. But the way you describe it is how it should be working.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
In Firefox in Windows 10 if I try to change the language it just opens the Windows language settings dialog box, instead of just letting me pick the spell check language that is active for this particular textbox. I don't actually want to change the language for the entire operating system. Is there a way to get this functionality back where I can quickly select a spell check language without messing with the OS settings? I sometimes need to switch between French or English.
Hey. I was looking at the latest Firefox release notes and the latest Firefox 102.0.1 fixes a spelling/language bug that could be the problem.