Firefox shortcut?? Open new window that's at the current site

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I used to be able to do this, maybe it was with IE.

I'm on a tab in a multi-tabbed window in Firefox. Control + N gets me a new Window. But what if I want to open a new Window with the URL of the current tab? Currently, I'm having to copy the current URL to my clipboard, Control + N to open a new window and then paste my clipboard contents in and hit Enter. Isn't there an easier way? :confused:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You could middle click the reload button. That'll copy the tab of the current page. You can then pull it off to create a new window.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The closest that I can see if to hold down the the CTRL key and drag your current tab to a new tab and then drag that tab to the desktop. I don't see a single action method.

Edit: This method preserves the "back" and "forward" history for EACH tab (and window when dragged to the desktop). In other words, I can drag this window to a new tab (CTRL and drag to new tab) and then drag to the desktop, hit the back button and it will take me back to the main software forum from either window.

Edit #2: You can get the addon "Clone Window" and it will open the current URL and history in the new window when hitting CTRL N but you don't have the option of just opening a default (or blank) new window.

http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/?addon=clone-window

Last edited:

gitano

Aug 4, 2008
Right mouse click on the tab, then pick the option: Move to new window

You lose the tab in the origin firefox window tough, but dont need any extension or plugin, just plain firefox.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The closest that I can see if to hold down the the CTRL key and drag your current tab to a new tab and then drag that tab to the desktop. I don't see a single action method.

Edit: This method preserves the "back" and "forward" history for EACH tab (and window when dragged to the desktop). In other words, I can drag this window to a new tab (CTRL and drag to new tab) and then drag to the desktop, hit the back button and it will take me back to the main software forum from either window.

Edit #2: You can get the addon "Clone Window" and it will open the current URL and history in the new window when hitting CTRL N but you don't have the option of just opening a default (or blank) new window.

http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/?addon=clone-window
Yeah, I think I probably had that functionality before by virtue of an addon. I'll try that one. Thanks.

Dragging anything to the Desktop isn't something I want to do. I almost always have my Firefox windows maximized. Dragging to the Desktop would force me to un-maximize first.

Right mouse click on the tab, then pick the option: Move to new window

You lose the tab in the origin firefox window tough, but dont need any extension or plugin, just plain firefox.

I'm not seeing that option when I right click a tab, say this one here for this thread. No option to "Move to new window" or similar. :confused: I'm running Firefox 22.0 on WinXP.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
A search I just did brought up this site which appears to have the trick:

howtogeek.com/howto/internet/firefox/quick-tip-duplicate-current-tab-in-new-window-in-firefox/

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/internet/firefox/quick-tip-duplicate-current-tab-in-new-window-in-firefox/

I already use Tab-Mix-Plus so I guess I just have to configure it to do this when I request it.

Edit: Yeah, that's it. In Tab-Mix-Plus Options, you go to Menu/Tab Context Menu and enable (check) the Duplicate to New Window checkbox, click Apply or OK and that becomes available in the context menu when you right click a tab. I tried it and it works.

I especially like to do this when I do a Google search and realize that I want to open a bunch of new tabs. I want the results of my search in a new window instead. It's much better organization to open those tabs in the new window rather than with a slew of other unrelated tabs in the original window.

Last edited:

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
I already use Tab-Mix-Plus so I guess I just have to configure it to do this when I request it.

Edit: Yeah, that's it. In Tab-Mix-Plus Options, you go to Menu/Tab Context Menu and enable (check) the Duplicate to New Window checkbox, click Apply or OK and that becomes available in the context menu when you right click a tab. I tried it and it works.

This. Tab Mix Plus is, IMO, and absolutely essential FF add-in. That and Xmarks, LastPass, and Toolbar Buttons make up my typical FF setup.