Firefox Adblock plus disabling problem

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
No matter what I do, every time I whitelist a site and disable it for that site in Adblock Plus, the site still thinks I'm using AdBlock.
Can anyone tell me what it is I'm doing wrong here? I've even tried clearing out cookies and cache.

Thanks for any help.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's probably checking via js, but I don't know the exact mechanism. There's adblock warning killer lists. You might want to try some of them.

Two recommendations... Use ublock origin as an adblocker just cause it's better, and consider going to different sites. If a site wants to be a real pita, I'll go elsewhere. There isn't a single site I can't live without, and in fact, I've spent the vast majority of my life without it. Another few years is no big deal.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Yeah, I had code on my site that detected ADblockers. It was an experiment for when the day comes I do the unthinkable and add ADs. It was a coded in PHP and did a JS check.

I second uBlock. I can tell you it is indeed waaaaay faster. I have a netbook in the kitchen that's connected to an external monitor/keyboard/mouse. I call it the kitchen kiosk. It's on 24/7. Anyway, if you ever used a netbook before you will know that they can be a dog. But once the browser loads everything is fairly quick. Well, I had what you had; ADblock and launching the browser took forever. Probably a good 10 seconds before everything loaded. Well, I installed uBlock and my load up time shot up like you wouldn't believe. I'm talking 4 to 5 seconds.

With uBlock you might be able to get the websites to work with uBlock and their special anti-ADblock lists.

Last edited:

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Thanks guys. Ublock origin, I read, is the original program before disputes with one of the developers caused issues between them and people say to go with origin.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Have you tried the site with "disabled everywhere" checked? Have you tried the site with ABP disabled in add-ons? Those would be my next two troubleshooting steps.

I tried Ublock Origin and I want to like it but I'm having an awful time getting sites to work. I'm not sure if it is Firefox, NoScript or Ublock Origin but I couldn't take it anymore when trying to shop or watch video content. I also had to break down and install Chrome for some sites to work :(.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I tried Ublock Origin and I want to like it but I'm having an awful time getting sites to work. I'm not sure if it is Firefox, NoScript or Ublock Origin but I couldn't take it anymore when trying to shop or watch video content. I also had to break down and install Chrome for some sites to work :(.
ABP and ublock should work identically when using the same lists. Sounds like you had some extra stuff in ublock, or perhaps it was noscript. Noscript's good for breaking stuff.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
ABP and ublock should work identically when using the same lists. Sounds like you had some extra stuff in ublock, or perhaps it was noscript. Noscript's good for breaking stuff.
It could be noscript but I've also run into sites that need 3rd party cookies and pop-ups on to function properly. Microsoft/Xbox needed 3rd party cookies and XSS disabled in noscript for the longest time. I still can't get walgreens to work with firefox. What makes matters worse is I'm also using a sandbox which means I need to add a rule to allow add-on settings to pass through and save. It's a constant battle that is wearing me down.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I still can't get walgreens to work with firefox.
Just their basic site/weekly ad, or do you mean after logging in, or trying to anyway? It's true I don't have AdBlock tweaked to lock down as absolutely tight as it'll go, but I use Firefox with NoScript and AdBlock and have no trouble with the weekly ad, anyway, after "temporarily allowing" everything but google-analytics with NoScript... I can't remember the last time I tried to log in there, but don't recall ever having trouble doing that either.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Just their basic site/weekly ad, or do you mean after logging in, or trying to anyway? It's true I don't have AdBlock tweaked to lock down as absolutely tight as it'll go, but I use Firefox with NoScript and AdBlock and have no trouble with the weekly ad, anyway, after "temporarily allowing" everything but google-analytics with NoScript... I can't remember the last time I tried to log in there, but don't recall ever having trouble doing that either.
I can't log in. The sign in button does nothing. I tried allowing 3rd party cookies, allowing pop-ups, disabling abp within itself and allowing scripts globally within noscript. The only other things I can try is disabling both add-ons or perhaps a cookie is being set when the first attempt fails that is keeping me from logging in.

The weekly ad seems to work fine with just the two walgreens settings that I have whitelisted.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Same with WG. Their site just needs some mork. Have to use IE if I want to refill a script online, and even then that part of the site might be down, so I wouldn't say this site really fits into adblock functionality/ issues.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Have you tried the site with "disabled everywhere" checked? Have you tried the site with ABP disabled in add-ons? Those would be my next two troubleshooting steps.
Yes, disabled everywhere doesn't help. It seems like just running abp causes problems with tons of sites. And sure, nothing is crucial, but I do have sites that run on ads that do have rather important info that I can't be without. Stuff you can't find in books.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I have no idea what noscript means. All I know is that with ABP none of my ad supported sites work when I disable it on them. And with ublock origin they all work fine even on default settings.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I have no idea what noscript means. All I know is that with ABP none of my ad supported sites work when I disable it on them. And with ublock origin they all work fine even on default settings.
Sorry, I got confused with the different posts I guess. Senility isn't a pretty thing :^P

NoScript is a script blocker that selectively blocks javascript. It's both a huge increase in privacy/security, and a huge hassle, especially the way I run it. I recommend it for people willing to put some work into their browsing, but it isn't a set/forget kind of addon.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I think some sites actually check to see if you have the extension installed. I've even tried completely disabling the extension and some sites like Forbes still think I have an ad blocker. I don't go to those sites anymore. Sadly more and more sites are going to start doing this though. If I absolutely need to get on a site that won't work I use Chromium (any other browser would work too) which I installed but never touched further so it's bare bones with no extensions or anything.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I have seen this before. If disabling the ad-on and reloading the page doesn't do it (which should be more than enough) I go to a different site.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
ABP and ghostery break a lot of sites on firefox. Just yesterday I tried to pay a bill and it just sat there forever after clicking Submit. I had to use Edge just to pay the bill.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I hate sites that are so terribly designed that they break because of security extensions or non Windows/IE setups. I see it a lot myself.

For example my bank uses embedded Acrobat PDF for internal messaging. WHY?!?! Just use html FFS. So of course I can't read any of the messages because I'm on Linux, and it specifically wants the Acrobat plugin and not just a PDF plugin. I thankfully don't really get anything important in there and if I have a question about something I can just call and talk to someone local.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Yes, disabled everywhere doesn't help. It seems like just running abp causes problems with tons of sites. And sure, nothing is crucial, but I do have sites that run on ads that do have rather important info that I can't be without. Stuff you can't find in books.
I've had to whitelist some abp rules to click on redirect links in the deal forum here and slickdeals. I simply asked what needed to be added for their links to work properly.

I would try disabling the add-on/s, clear your cookies and see if that works. You could also clear your cookies and restart your browser with add-ons disabled. That will definitely let you know if it is firefox or an add-on causing the problem.

Same with WG. Their site just needs some mork. Have to use IE if I want to refill a script online, and even then that part of the site might be down, so I wouldn't say this site really fits into adblock functionality/ issues.
Thanks for the confirmation. At least I now know that it isn't my setup causing the problem.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
Red -- for AdBlock plus ... add this filter: AakList(Anti-Adblock Killer) ... it disables the adblocker check from here:
https://github.com/reek/anti-adblock-killer/ ... seems to work with Forbes as well
Thanks for posting that. I've never had a serious enough need to circumvent adblocker-blocking to research solutions myself, so I hadn't come across a utility like that, and it's nice to have on general principle. So far all I've done is test it out on Forbes, too (which isn't a site I ever felt a great loss over), where it works just fine for me as well. Not to mention that the underlying Greasemonkey add-on is pretty cool itself...

Last edited: