Question Firefox 98 Released

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks! I need to do some testing on this download prompt removal "feature". Being nagged about random file downloads is a important security feature for a browser IMHO. I like to be a barrier to any file that wants to download from the internet. It now sounds like we need to opt in for that prompt. At the very least I should get a prompt from Sandboxie asking if I want to move the file from the sandbox to my download folder which is also sandboxed hehe.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Ok, they did indeed remove the download notification/popup. All I get is a split second flash about the download below my download icon in the toolbar. I customize my toolbar icons so no idea if it's normal to have the download icon.

Not sure how to get the notification back. A brief glance here seems to point to setting up the option for each file type. If that's true I want to kick the person who thought this was a swell idea.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Ok, they did indeed remove the download notification/popup. All I get is a split second flash about the download below my download icon in the toolbar. I customize my toolbar icons so no idea if it's normal to have the download icon.

Not sure how to get the notification back. A brief glance here seems to point to setting up the option for each file type. If that's true I want to kick the person who thought this was a swell idea.
I'm through upgrading FF since the last version where they brought on black pages on search results and home pages. F*** them.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I'm through upgrading FF since the last version where they brought on black pages on search results and home pages. F*** them.
I don't understand some of their decisions. They need to hire someone who has common sense and give them veto power over removing or adding features.

I did find a solution to getting the download prompt back. No idea how long the option will remain though.

Restore download prompt in Firefox 98
  1. Visit about: config in the address bar
  2. Click “Accept the risk and continue”
  3. Type panel in the search bar, wait for the results to be displayed.
  4. Find highlighted browser.download.improvements_to_download_panel
  5. Toggle its value to false.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
That is good that you can restore the download prompt.

However, I also noticed that google is no longer an option on the search engine.
I wonder what that means and if the google search contract is done? If so how are they going to keep up that revenue???

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
That is good that you can restore the download prompt.

However, I also noticed that google is no longer an option on the search engine.
I wonder what that means and if the google search contract is done? If so how are they going to keep up that revenue???
I see google as an option.

search.jpg

As far as making money goes I got an add for their vpn when I upgraded to 97.0.2 or 98. I dug through my history to find the page.

Also in settings there are a couple of options about sponsors that help them make money.