Info Firefox 94 Released

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks Chiefcrowe! The following is directed at Firefox and not you. I appreciate the notification of updates.

I hope that update thing is optional. If not I'll be wasting bandwidth since I run Firefox in a sandbox.

"Colorways"? Really? Their users want themes and they temporarily give us a handful of seasonal colors to choose from.

More on Colorways: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/personalize-firefox-colorways

How long are the new colorways available?

These colorway selections will be available in Firefox 94 and 95. From Firefox 96 onwards, users won't be able to opt in to Colorways but they will be able to maintain access to the colorway that is actively enabled whenever they update to Firefox 96. Your favorite will stay with you in Add-on and themes along with all of your other previously enabled custom add-ons and system themes.

Why waste their dev time and ours if this is only temporary? Firefox giveth and Firefox taketh away. That should be their motto since this is just another Firefox feature that's going to go the way of the dodo.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
No problem.

I believe you can disable updates by going to Settings > General and selecting this:

Check for updates but let you choose to install them

I agree with you about the Colorways. WHY would you do this and then make it temporary after spending the time and effort to create it?!? "oooh a shiny new thing!"

It certainly won't get people to switch to FF, IMO....

• Love
Reactions: balloonshark

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Colorways: Mozilla are forever finding ways to re-arrange deckchairs, as opposed to coming up with something innovative/useful. I say this as a long-time Firefox user.

Reactions: Chiefcrowe

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
FWIW after you update and the Colorways one time pop-up/tutorial comes up there is a pre-ticked box about changing your new tab or home page if I remember correctly. I unticked it just to be safe.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Last edited: