Info Firefox 89 Released

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah it could be bad. So far I've gotten used to it and haven't found any big annoyances though...

They should work on fixing other stuff and prioritizing that instead of UI changes which seem more frequent than I would expect.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I'm also not a fan of the UI changes over the years, at least not in a general way. Like, what is up with the two different hamburger menus? I mostly hate modern UIs.

But as long as tree style tabs keep working I'm not going anywhere.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I do like the new Firefox color color schemes and the new themes are pretty good.

If anyone missed it, here is how you can customize your color scheme now:

Also, I've noticed it feels faster using the new version today which is always good!

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
I also do not see the UI changes as "improvements". I'm guessing that some of this is intended to provide a consistent look for firefox on mobile devices, but the icons look like caveman drawing on my 4k monitor.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'm not a big fan of UI changes either, but they have managed to give the UI a mostly cleaner, more professional look. Except for the tabs, which aren't tabs any more but 'floating thingies'.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I do not have and do not want a dark theme but when I open a context menu the background is black with white text. Can I change that back to white with black text ?

Last edited:

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
I've been on beta channel so I am already used to it. But when they remove "Compact (not supported)" mode I will be annoyed. Wasting space for no reason is user hostile. But I suppose Firefox has long since given up any belief that "the users know what they want" in its futile pursuit of Chrome.

Chrome is generally faster. Chrome generally works on more sites (not necessarily Firefox's fault, as Chrome sometimes makes their own standards). So Mozilla should remember why people still use it: customization and better privacy options.

Last edited:

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
I've been on beta channel so I am already used to it. But when they remove "Compact (not supported)" mode I will be annoyed. Wasting space for no reason is user hostile. But I suppose Firefox has long since given up any belief that "the users know what they want" in its futile pursuit of Chrome.
I agree. I disabled proton in about:config, I think I'm gonna be more than annoyed and looking for a fork or a different browser if compact mode is removed. Or stay for a few years on the last good release security be damned...
It looks stupid on desktop 4K monitor, I have multiple lists (bookmarks in folders, tab list) that comfortably fit on one screen which would now require scrolling.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It looks stupid on desktop 4K monitor, I have multiple lists (bookmarks in folders, tab list) that comfortably fit on one screen which would now require scrolling.

I run 1080p, those things are just as terrible as you described.

This update just hit me, and it is a complete waste of space on my screen. New fonts, bigger padding. Bookmarks are just harder to read now.

Makes me want to jump ship.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I made my approximation to the old colors that firefox used
Code:
https://color.firefox.com/?theme=XQAAAAIlAQAAAAAAAABBqYhm849SCia2CaaEGccwS-xMDPsqvMQuvAF6DfP6SnIO2RlYPn7K3NudQigfPHpuEcUhPh41FL3cOhkOJzqtD_Ul-3RxUUJN93wS2B85kUtls6kqCyu6lmyMmelQtZLYkTByd4qxi5LzlPxzuKvqChI0Zl5y7XxQAvIOLKJs9x6cdJxIu14Eez4lv5nXTNTkCWPfX38XeKgzpaGLS7xNk-dGrR9c9LL_aOenDxQpcliEuX3DePr_9sKq-g

You will have to use the addon that Cheifcrowe mentioned above at
Firefox Color

The only thing is I cannot seem to find the option for the color of the folders in the bookmark menu, so currently they show dark
1622817823217.png

Last edited:

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
FF 89.0.1

I do not have clue what Mozilla is doing with Firefox but it's SHIT for PC - Seems to me they are catering to Android Cell Phones. Granted it's FASTER but it's interface is becoming CRAP ;o(

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
FF 89.0.1

I do not have clue what Mozilla is doing with Firefox but it's SHIT for PC - Seems to me they are catering to Android Cell Phones. Granted it's FASTER but it's interface is becoming CRAP ;o(

I'm guessing you've never used Firefox on Android :) Its performance is like Firefox on PC before they enabled decent multi-threading.