Question Firefox 78.0.1 Released

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Is anyone having problems with ublock origin? I'm in advanced mode and when I try to allow a site I see a gray or red option. I don't see the green allow options which is normal where the gray is.

ublockorigin.jpg

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Is anyone having problems with ublock origin? I'm in advanced mode and when I try to allow a site I see a gray or red option. I don't see the green allow options which is normal where the gray is.

ublockorigin.jpg
I am having no issues. I also use it in combination with a script blocker as well.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I am having no issues. I also use it in combination with a script blocker as well.
Thanks for the confirmation. I don't know what is going on. I can't get the page reloads to allow anything. I tried clearing the rules cache and did a refresh. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Right now ublock origin is disabled and I'm using adblock plus once again but I prefer UO.

Edit: Firefox 79.0 is out. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/79.0/releasenotes/

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks for the confirmation. I don't know what is going on. I can't get the page reloads to allow anything. I tried clearing the rules cache and did a refresh. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Right now ublock origin is disabled and I'm using adblock plus once again but I prefer UO.

Edit: Firefox 79.0 is out. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/79.0/releasenotes/
I updated about 2 mins ago

AdBlocker Ultimate works good too.

Reactions: balloonshark

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008

ublockorigin.jpg
I think I figured out the problem. A recent update must have changed the filterauthormode to false. Once I changed it to true everything is back to normal.

Allow rules

We covered the block and noop dynamic filtering rules. What about the allow rule?

The dynamic filtering allow (green) rule is most useful to un-break sites broken by some static filters: allow rules will override all block filters from static filter lists, and because of this, allow rules are to be used only for exceptional cases and are rarely needed in the real world.

The only way to enable the ability to point-and-click to create allow rules is to either:

• Tap twice on the Ctrl key while in the popup panel
  • Set filterAuthorMode to true in advanced settings

Doing so will enable the allow rule creation widget in the popup panel:

figure 10

This small obstacle to easily create allow rule through point-and-click is by design, as it has been found over the years that too many users are misusing dynamic filtering by creating allow rules where noop rules should have been used.

To reiterate, creating allow rules will completely override related block filters from static filter lists, which may easily cause you to be less protected than if not using dynamic filtering at all -- allow rules are to be used exceptionally, and most of the time, temporarily -- they are typically most useful to filter list maintainers in order to quickly narrow down filter issues.

Furthermore, when an allow rule is set for the 1st-party domain, this will completely disable scriptlet injection and HTML filtering, again a behavior which is most useful to filter list maintainers. Scriptlet injection and HTML filtering are often used to deal with anti-blocker mechanisms.

Important: Typically, use only narrow allow dynamic filtering rules to un-break sites. As these allow rules override any static filtering, this means if you use a too broad allow dynamic filtering rule you could start to allow in ads/trackers/annoyances.

Reactions: Iron Woode

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008