Firefox 50 Released

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
Reactions: pyonir

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
The following add-ons are not compatible with multiprocess on my machine:

• Remove in-video Youtube adverts (script for Greasemonkey)
  • Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon
  • Click to Play per-element
  • Disable Anti-Adblock
  • MAFIAAFire Redirector
  • Windscribe (VPN)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Chief, thx for the reply, wierd thing is it happens on both my PCs with FF.

I've two options either stick with stable Vivaldi which has been great or go back to FF50 which is still on my PCs, I've tried clean install of FF. Guess I've to decide on which browser or do more troubleshooting with FF.

:)

I use Waterfox, which hasn't yet updated to 50.0, so I'm not sure what you're seeing, but I wonder, do both PCs have the same graphic chip? Are they both using an iGPU or chipset IGP? Which one(s)?

I know that GMA3100 or 950 or whatever caused issues with IE8 and maybe IE11 on Windows 7.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I use Waterfox, which hasn't yet updated to 50.0, so I'm not sure what you're seeing, but I wonder, do both PCs have the same graphic chip? Are they both using an iGPU or chipset IGP? Which one(s)?

I know that GMA3100 or 950 or whatever caused issues with IE8 and maybe IE11 on Windows 7.

Different hardware, one is a laptop with Intel IGP 3000 and Nvidia 650m, the other is AMD 280x Radeon desktop PC, hardware acceleration is disabled via browser to improve stability on FF.

I'm not too bothered since I really like Vivaldi, ie fast,very stable and customisation is good. Curiosity on the cause with FF keeps me trying to find the solution.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks for the compatibility add-on link pyonir.

Multi-process is broken here because of NoScript, an older version of Ghostery and Random Agent Spoofer which I keep disabled most of the time.

penguin32

Feb 10, 2011
Yesterday afternoon the two win7 PCs we have in the house both updated to FF50 and at that point firefox stopped working.
The program opens, but clicking on bookmarks or typing addresses in in the address bar has no effect. Also FF does not close with the x button top right.
I tried disabling add ons, running FF in safe mode, no play. I turned off bit defender and comodo firewall, no play.

I reinstalled the last image of my PC with clonzilla and the previous version of FF worked perfectly, it updated to FF50 and locked up agai.

help?

sonoma1993

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
Blah I cant get multi process to work. When I check about:support it says 0/1 (Disabled by accessibility tools). Far as I know of I don't have any accessibility tools enable on my computer.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I am glad I went with 16 GB of ram Firefox is a memory hog like Chrome with multiprocess enabled.

Rayb

Dec 31, 2008
For me FFx64 and uBlock Origin has been a lot better than with noscript, now I don't have to guess (tired of it) what to allow for a web page to function correctly. I've seen websites with more than 30 elements blocked, once on a crappy news site it blocked 57 elements.

After many years of using FF + noscript, it boggles my mind why would I want to now.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Does a slow loading page basically lock up your browser until it finishes loading? Slickdeals.net has been busy the last few days and I can't do anything with my other open tabs while the site is loading. I didn't notice this behavior prior to upgrading to this latest version of firefox. Multi-process is not functional because of add-ons.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
For me FFx64 and uBlock Origin has been a lot better than with noscript, now I don't have to guess (tired of it) what to allow for a web page to function correctly. I've seen websites with more than 30 elements blocked, once on a crappy news site it blocked 57 elements.

After many years of using FF + noscript, it boggles my mind why would I want to now.

For clickjacking protection and similar web exploits.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Does a slow loading page basically lock up your browser until it finishes loading? Slickdeals.net has been busy the last few days and I can't do anything with my other open tabs while the site is loading. I didn't notice this behavior prior to upgrading to this latest version of firefox. Multi-process is not functional because of add-ons.
Yes, I switched to Chromium browsers because of this problem.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007

No problems here.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Next year Firefox will only allow addons that are specific like Chrome. So good bye to most of what you use now.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Next year Firefox will only allow addons that are specific like Chrome. So good bye to most of what you use now.

It all depends most of my addons are e10 compatible.

Also I am all for making Firefox faster but if you still want old Firefox Addons to work next year there is always Firefox ESR to buy some time and find alternative addons.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
The biggest factor for me with a browser is its addons. If they don't work I switch. Such was the case with Pale Moon. I used it for years, then Moonchild decided to get rid of SDK or whatever they're called addons and I was like, NOPE! Went to Cyberfox and use the Classic Theme Restorer addon. PM v27 is a mess!

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
The biggest factor for me with a browser is its addons. If they don't work I switch. Such was the case with Pale Moon. I used it for years, then Moonchild decided to get rid of SDK or whatever they're called addons and I was like, NOPE! Went to Cyberfox and use the Classic Theme Restorer addon. PM v27 is a mess!

Yep.

There is still Cyberfox like you said and it may not be effected next year no one knows what will happen to those. Waterfox as well but as well I prefer Cyberfox because it is updated quicker.

Rayb

Dec 31, 2008
For clickjacking protection and similar web exploits.

It manages those just fine just not as stringent and it makes web browsing a lot easier.
With noscript u have more fine grained control but it becomes a pain after a while, it still is one of the most powerful add-ons if that's what u want.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
It manages those just fine just not as stringent and it makes web browsing a lot easier.
With noscript u have more fine grained control but it becomes a pain after a while, it still is one of the most powerful add-ons if that's what u want.
Are you saying that FF has some built in protection against clickjacking??