Firefox 4 GPU Acceleration - Does it work on AMD 3xxx/4xxx cards?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
I believe gpu's 3xxx and older (The igp 4xxx is based on 3xxx but got uvd updates from the 4xxx series) gets some use. Like with flash, amd said just 4xxx and up have flash support. But my 3870 was still being used to some extent. It would use 2%-8% of the gpu while 4xxx and higher would be used more. The 5750 I have gets used much more than the 3870 did. But the 3870 still helped out some.

Just do what I said about Afterburner. Set the interval to 500ms/1000ms or something. Then go to a site with lots of images (like a post about free icons on my vbforfree.com site :\) and scroll up and down to see if the gpu usage goes up or just stays at 0%.

Anyways, thats just my take on it :)

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
This is funny, I figured it out. The "GPU Accelerated Windows 1/1" or 2/2 or 3/3 whatever means exactly what it says, in the literal sense.

I restarted Firefox and it says 1/1. I open another window and it's 2/2. I'm sure if you open 10 windows you will see it say 10/10. So it's nothing to be concerned or worried about.

This seems to be the case, BTW, it counts windows, not tabs. So 20 tabs in one windows = 1/1. 20 tabs in two windows = 2/2

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Just try it and see for yourself. If your just being sarcastic then why bother!

Well, IE works fine and don't like to play with things that work but if this FF4 will give me better performance I'll give it a try.

Before I go installing anything that might change the way my system performs, I like to know if I'm actually gonna see an improvement. I don't like to be the ginnepig. :)

Is there a chart that tells you what gpu's are supported?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Well, IE works fine and don't like to play with things that work but if this FF4 will give me better performance I'll give it a try.

Before I go installing anything that might change the way my system performs, I like to know if I'm actually gonna see an improvement. I don't like to be the ginnepig. :)

Is there a chart that tells you what gpu's are supported?

I looked at the firefox site for a little bit but couldn't find anything that said what was and wasn't supported. Guess you'd have to wait and see if anybody has tried it or try it for yourself.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I looked at the firefox site for a little bit but couldn't find anything that said what was and wasn't supported. Guess you'd have to wait and see if anybody has tried it or try it for yourself.

ok i tried it ,its says 1/1 direct x 10 D3d, that means the acceleration is working correct?

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
i have AMD and i can't tell any difference in 4.0 from 3.6 other than looks.