Firefox 2.0.0.12 Issues

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
I previously had version 2.0.0.11 running flawlessly on my systems.

However, on my main machine (desktop), I've had several issues with the new version, 2.0.0.12 and I am wondering if anyone else has had the same experience. I'm on my laptop now and haven't noticed any issues here.

I've had Firefox totally lock up, run slow, crash to desktop & crash to reboot.

It is even so bad that I have since then fallen victim to 3 viruses which are driving me crazy. I don't know if this was caused by a security flaw in Firefox or what but AVG detected all 3 and I quarantined and then wiped all 3.

They however, come back once I reboot, and the cycle continues. I've now decided to do a full format and reload. I'm not going to bother dual booting, just straight Vista this time.

The other wierd thing is that, when I right-click my Hard Disk Drives in My Computer, the Open and Explore options are replaced by gibberish.

Also, I can in no way access my Task Manager.

I'm loading Vista Ultimate x64 right now on my desktop and will be installing Firefox 2.0.0.11 as soon as I'm done.

Enough rambling already....I apologize....

Let me know your thoughts, comments, suggestions....

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
What are the 3 viruses exactly? The AVG logs/reports should say.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Originally posted by: mechBgon

Well, I don't recall (I just reformatted when things started to go haywire).

I do remember an exe file in the C: root directory called a.exe.

I don't know what you can make of that...:(

Originally posted by: AnnonUSA
Sounds like the Viruses are the issue, not Firefox.

I hope that was the case but I'm not sure so I'll probably run 2.0.0.11 for a while.

Any of you had any issues?

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: Cheex
Originally posted by: mechBgon

Well, I don't recall (I just reformatted when things started to go haywire).

I do remember an exe file in the C: root directory called a.exe.

I don't know what you can make of that...:(

Not much, except that you seem to be letting stuff run with Administrator privileges or something, if malware is getting placed in the root of C:\. If you use Vista, use a Standard account and don't disable UAC. And don't take risks with possible Trojans, of course. Also check your rig with Secunia's PSI to eliminate vulnerable stuff that the bad guys could use to pwn your system.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
i'm back to safari because firefox has been randomly locking up on my computer and my daughter's as well. mine runs leopard, hers runs tiger. no viruses (obviously) but i think it has to do with flash and the latest release of firefox. safari works fine tho, so we are both using that.

QuixoticOne

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
I don't know... though there was a post-2.0.0.12 security problem with firefox (directory traversal and remots file access, I think) identified the other day.

It didn't sound like it was HORRIBLE in the default install but still bad enough that I assumed they'd be coming out with a patch for it ASAP.

So basically I'd think about holding off on 2.0.0.12 and see if they have a better build in a couple of days, and just run a nerfed (security settings = MAX) IE7 + all updates for Vista/IE for a few days.

On the other hand if you ghost your new install so you can recover quickly and are feeling brave, you could try 3.0beta3 of FireFox... I'd hope it'd play a little nicer with Vista and overall stability in at least a few ways than 2.X did... but maybe that's too optimistic of me.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Well...I'm not having any more issues since I've reloaded the OS. Seems to have been some other problems that just happen to coincide with the time of my 2.0.0.12 update.