Info Firefox 100 Released

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
These items stuck out at me:

Beginning in this release, the Firefox installer for Windows is signed with a SHA-256 digest, rather than SHA-1. Update KB4474419 is required for successful installation on a computer running Microsoft Windows 7. For more details about this update, visit the Microsoft Technical Support website.

Some websites might not work correctly in Firefox version 100 due to Firefox's new three-digit number. You can read about it in our blog post here!

See the Mozilla Support article Difficulties opening or using a website in Firefox 100 for possible workarounds you can use. There, you will also find instructions for reporting a broken website so that Mozilla can help fix the problem.

Reactions: balloonshark

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Hardware accelerated AV1 video decoding is enabled on Windows with supported GPUs (Intel Gen 11+, AMD RDNA 2 Excluding Navi 24, GeForce 30). Installing the AV1 Video Extension from the Microsoft Store may also be required.
Is this something that is commonly used and should we install the AV1 extension?

Scrollbars on Linux and Windows 11 won't take space by default. On Linux, users can change this in Settings. On Windows, Firefox follows the system setting (System Settings > Accessibility > Visual Effects > Always show scrollbars).
This sounds pretty cool if you're using Windows 11.

Firefox now ignores less restricted referrer policies—including unsafe-url, no-referrer-when-downgrade, and origin-when-cross-origin—for cross-site subresource/iframe requests to prevent privacy leaks from the referrer.
What do they mean by ignore? I often see referrers using slickdeals and I also see non-https site warnings.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
Why is it even necessary to install a Microsoft extension (AV1, HEVC etc..)? Shouldn't that be something at the software driver level only? I guess this a greater systemic question.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Got it. That makes more sense. I think I have a bad taste in my mouth from when Microsoft tried to charge for the HEVC codec (maybe I'm remembering something else).
You're not wrong - they still do! $0.99 USD from the Microsoft Store.

Or sometimes "free", installed during setup, if you buy an OEM system, and they tag it for pre-installation. (I've seen this on a few of my rigs. * )

(*) Laptops.

Last edited:

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
You're not wrong - they still do! $0.99 USD from the Microsoft Store.

Or sometimes "free", installed during setup, if you buy an OEM system, and they tag it for pre-installation. (I've seen this on a few of my rigs. * )

(*) Laptops.
there is a royalty/license fee. many operating systems charge for it. I think I paid for a codec license when I bought a raspberry pi a while ago for codec playback on kodi/xbmc.(*the codec I bought wasn't HEVC I think it was MPEG)