Fire Resistant Trunk Safe

Dunmaghlas

Jan 25, 2019
I am in need of a safe for my trunk, please don't ask why but it is important. Whatever ask if you want lol. I would like it to be as near to the following dimensions as possible: 30 inches long (side to side), 20 inches wide (front to back), 14 inches deep (top to bottom). Those would be exterior dimensions, not interior. I NEED the top to open like a chest and it HAS to have a key, not a combination, preferably a full size key hole. I want it to be matte black as well. If anyone knows of any good fire resistant safes/chests like this, please let me know as soon as possible.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
Thank goodness you came to the internet's premier website specializing in trunk safes. Help will be with you momentarily.

Dunmaghlas

Jan 25, 2019
Thank goodness you came to the internet's premier website specializing in trunk safes. Help will be with you momentarily.
Well, I've seen other threads here asking about other safes and they got answers. Why shouldn't I? And if you're gonna comment just for the heck of it, don't.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
We never comment just for the heck of it; we do it for the nef of it.

Does the safe need to be leak proof?

Reactions: FirNaTine

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Fire safe doesn't generally mean fire proof. Any reasonable fire safe will be extremely heavy as they are designed to sweat as the external surface gets hot, maintaining some of the items inside. Putting a fire safe in your trunk, right above a gas tank is pretty much worthless unless you can get the fire put out in 5 minutes or less. In addition, if the fire gets to your trunk (fires generally start in the engine bay I'd assume), you're probably fucked anyways.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Fire safe doesn't generally mean fire proof. Any reasonable fire safe will be extremely heavy as they are designed to sweat as the external surface gets hot, maintaining some of the items inside. Putting a fire safe in your trunk, right above a gas tank is pretty much worthless unless you can get the fire put out in 5 minutes or less. In addition, if the fire gets to your trunk (fires generally start in the engine bay I'd assume), you're probably fucked anyways.
Fail. I thought he needed a safe for his trunk, luggage type. :oops:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Is it safe?

Is it safe?

Is it safe?

Is it safe?

Is it safe?

Is it safe?

Is it safe?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I know you said don't ask, but, Are you a fireworks smuggler? you need a fire resistant trunk safe to transport them safely?

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Are safes rated to withstand gasoline fires? Trunk's right over the gas tank.

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005

They usually do start in the engine compartment, but there's cars out there with a battery mounted aft (regular 12V for gas cars, as well as hybrid) for weight distribution, that I have seen involved in fires. And there's also the fuel tank to the rear, but for the many years, they have been designed to be pretty well protected from rear impact, to the point where it's an issue, there would be a lot of physical damage before the fire, and wrecking any safe light enough to be in a vehicle.

And before anyone else gets ideas, I have dibs on the DHS tip money for this thread....

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Are safes rated to withstand gasoline fires? Trunk's right over the gas tank.

Sounds like he should get a car with a front trunk or a "frunk" so he can put the trunk safe in the fronk.
Many mid engine, rear engine, or battery powered cars have somewhat usable to useable fronks.
I recommend Porsche 911.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Sounds like he should get a car with a front trunk or a "frunk" so he can put the trunk safe in the fronk.
Many mid engine, rear engine, or battery powered cars have somewhat usable to useable fronks.
I recommend Porsche 911.

Imagine putting that kind of weight in the front of a mid-rear engine RWD car. lol.

Reactions: FirNaTine