Question Finding the right modem/router

3dcadman

Aug 1, 2020
I recently discovered that Comcast has raised the rental price of their modem/routers to $14 per month which is another one of their rip off tactics so I decided to
find my own router/modem combination to replace the rented one. I have scoured the reviews on most of the modems out there and it seems like everyone of them has
hidden flaws and issues, IE overheating, lost connections, poor wifi. I want to find something that is not going to be outdated in 6 months so I thought the buying
a product that has docsis3.1 might be good since we appear to be headed that way. Everyone of the reviews has posts that say that the product is junk or it doesn't work the way
they advertises. One person says it is great and the other says it is junk and not to buy it. The consensus is that Net Gear has horrible support if you have something not working right.
I am totally confused on what to buy. I want something that is better that what Comcast offers but realize that technology is changing fast and I don't want to buy
some $400 modem/router combo that is going to be obsolete in a year or so.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Okay, so here's your answer and it's cheap--Arris/Motorola SB6190.

Yes, the one that everyone says to stay away from. It's BS. I have 2x of these that have a latency sensitive link between them across the country, one on WOW 500/50 and one on Comcast/Xfinity at 600/15 and both are flawless. The WOW one is even working in 100F+ temps right now as I type. I can't recommend them more. I've been using both of them since about 2016/2017 and there's no sign of support dropping anytime soon. These will support up to 1Gbps on most isps, so that's more than plenty for most.

And because everyone hates them, you can find them as cheap as $20 shipped like this one recently sold on reddit:

Even new they're well under $100 (they were under $60--not sure what happened recently):

If you don't expect to ever get speeds over 600Mbps, the sb6183 is a solid choice and even cheaper.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and I only recommended a modem so you can just use your existing router and won't have to mess with changing any of that. :)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
Don't buy a combination device. IIRC, Comcast has a list of compatible modems - I'd pick something from that list to purchase, then pick up a separate router, if you don't already own one. The router can be pretty much anything - you shouldn't have to worry about Comcast compatibility with that piece.

For what it's worth, I have a Motorola MB7621 and have been using with RCN for almost 2 years with zero issues. It's a 24x8/DOCSIS 3.0 modem paired with a 250 Mbps down connection. Paid for itself in only a few months

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I agree with Brainonska511. You need to look on Comcast's list of compatible modems, or you risk getting one that won't work. As for router, get one that has good wifi. I'm going to guess that's important to you.;)