Finding information on someone you know on an internet forum/FB

Status
Not open for further replies.

inf1nity

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2013
So i am really interested in internet spying. I keep googling names of people i know to dig up information. I have had a little success. Do you guys have any experience doing this kind of stuff..? I know there have been instances where skilled internet users have found out everything about a random person on an internet forum by digging up his other forum accounts, address, facebook, twitter; by using nothing except google.

For example here is an example of a guy whose whole life details were unraveled infront of the whole internet. This guy was responsible for trolling an internet forum for a long time. he had been banned 68 times but kept coming back.

http://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-17824.html

If you read that thread, you will see people keep digging more n more info on him, across different forums, different usernames. How do these guys do it..?

Do you guys know how to do it? :sneaky:

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Otherwise known as Doxing someone.

Generally speaking this varies from person to person, if a target reveals almost nothing about themselves online then you have very little to go on, so many businesses and websites are paranoid about personal details of their customers they leak very little making it hard.

The real gold mine is getting their social media contacts and getting them to friend you which may take some social engineering, once you have their facebook or whatever, you'll have almost all the info you'll need.

I wont go into more specifics as I don't want to teach anyone here how to do this but it's mostly an art form there are not really any good automated tools to do this.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
So i am really interested in internet spying. I keep googling names of people i know to dig up information.
Yes we know how to do this. No we aren't going to teach you. Something just isn't quite right here...

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
One reason why I never use the same user name and don't use my full last name on Facebook. Good Luck! And John Connor is too common. HEHE :twisted:

inf1nity

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2013
Otherwise known as Doxing someone.

Generally speaking this varies from person to person, if a target reveals almost nothing about themselves online then you have very little to go on, so many businesses and websites are paranoid about personal details of their customers they leak very little making it hard.

The real gold mine is getting their social media contacts and getting them to friend you which may take some social engineering, once you have their facebook or whatever, you'll have almost all the info you'll need.

I wont go into more specifics as I don't want to teach anyone here how to do this but it's mostly an art form there are not really any good automated tools to do this.

I'm not looking for automated tools either, i just want to know how people dig up information on another internet user using either their Facebook name or their forum account. I have searched the usernames of some people on this forum and i have found their accounts on other forums; but what if they use different names on other forums like the example in the thread above..?

Yes we know how to do this. No we aren't going to teach you. Something just isn't quite right here...
Rest assured, i'm not doing anything illegal.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Just alot of leg work reading up on their postings on the social/work subforums and putting 2 and 2 together.

Savatar

Apr 21, 2009
Just alot of leg work reading up on their postings on the social/work subforums and putting 2 and 2 together.

+1. Once you've established a person's pseudonym, real name and location you can usually get a pretty good amount of information if they use social media - but it is mostly up to them to make that information public. Check for FaceBook, Google Plus, Twitter, Instagram, MySpace, Blogs, etc... check white page listings, news articles, etc.

Going beyond what is publicly available gets a little more shady... you could friend one of their friends to [try to] get access to more profile information - but generally this isn't needed or recommended (as it could be creepy).

With just a forum name, unless they use the same name elsewhere it could be difficult to figure out who it is. The forum operators will have access to IP information which can be used to determine that information, but that involves clever social engineering or engaging their ISP (usually you need a court order to do that).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.