Find me some music!

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I need more music because I have entirely too much rock.

Here's what I'm looking for: Something downtempo / trip-hop / chillout

These are bands and albums I already have in my collection:

Morcheeba
Thievery Corporation
Moloko
Ministry of Sound: Chillout Sessions 3
Cafe Del Mar Vols. 7 & 8
Cafe Ibiza
Hooverphonic

I like more instrumentals and songs with a good beat. I don't like sporadic beats or anything remotely resembling house or trance.

cjsketchy

Jan 23, 2002
massive attack
leftfield

edit - and ulrich schnauss if you can get your hands on any of his music. someone here recommended it a while ago, and I'm lovin' it.

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Portishead gets lumped into that category but is pretty different than the artists you mentioned -- brilliant though!

Well just some notables you didn't list:

Royksopp - Melody A.M.
Craig Armstrong - As if to Nothing
Chicane - Behind the Sun
dZihan & Kamien - Freaks and Icons
Flunk - For Sleepyheads Only (thanks Fausto ;)
Groove Armada - Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub)
Jazzanova - In Between
Kruder & Dorfmeister - G Stoned (Great cover art parodying 'Bookends')
Lamb - Lamb
Mandalay - Solace
Nightmares on Wax - Smoker's Delight
St Germain - Tourist
Schpongle (love the name!) - Are you Schpongled?
Télépopmusik - Genetic World
Tosca - Suzuki
Zero 7 - Simple Things

and of course, my favorite.... (drumroll) Air - Moon Safari

That should keep you busy for a while. Enjoy!

l2c

Radiohead

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2001
Originally posted by: luv2chill
Portishead gets lumped into that category but is pretty different than the artists you mentioned -- brilliant though!

Well just some notables you didn't list:

Royksopp - Melody A.M.
Craig Armstrong - As if to Nothing
Chicane - Behind the Sun
dZihan & Kamien - Freaks and Icons
Flunk - For Sleepyheads Only (thanks Fausto ;)
Groove Armada - Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub)
Jazzanova - In Between
Kruder & Dorfmeister - G Stoned (Great cover parodying Bookends)
Lamb - Lamb
Mandalay - Solace
Nightmares on Wax - Smoker's Delight
St Germain - Tourist
Schpongle (love the name!) - Are you Schpongled?
Télépopmusik - Genetic World
Tosca - Suzuki
Zero 7 - Simple Things

and of course, my favorite.... (drumroll) Air - Moon Safari

That should keep you busy for a while. Enjoy!

l2c

Nice list, got to check some of those out myself

cjsketchy

Jan 23, 2002
and I agree with Mogwai :D Just got happy songs for happy people, been listening to it all day... I love it

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: UglyCassanova
I agree with Massive Attack

You must get Mogwai (had to say it :p)
Ugly Cassanova
Rarae Avis
Emery Reel

hmmm...

Grandaddy?

Grandaddy? I wouldn't call them "downtempo / trip-hop / chillout" at all. They're good, but don't remotely fit those genres.

Mogwai is one of my very favorite bands, but they're more slowcore/post-rock stuff. I find that many people don't have the patience for Mogwai. Too bad, because their music is very rewarding. Have you picked up "Happy Songs..." yet? Fantastic.

l2c

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
nice. Thanks doods.

Completely forgot about Tricky & Portishead.

I already have Air's Moon Safari album. Sweet stuff.

KeyserSoze

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2000
I reccomend Chicane. In the "Trance" genre, but very relaxing, nice steady beats....good stuff.

KeyserSoze

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: luv2chill
I agree with Massive Attack

You must get Mogwai (had to say it :p)
Ugly Cassanova
Rarae Avis
Emery Reel

hmmm...

Grandaddy?

Grandaddy? I wouldn't call them "downtempo / trip-hop / chillout" at all. They're good, but don't remotely fit those genres.

Mogwai is one of my very favorite bands, but they're more slowcore/post-rock stuff. I find that many people don't have the patience for Mogwai. Too bad, because their music is very rewarding. Have you picked up "Happy Songs..." yet? Fantastic.

l2c

Yup, and I think it's their best since Young Team (if you don't coun't EP). It's one of the few albulms I've heard in a long time that I can sit and listen to straight through and love every one of the songs. I lumped Mogwai in because even though it's post-rock, alot of their stuff is excellent chill music too.

I put Grandaddy in because I think it's trippy. Not sure what trip-hop consists of, not Grandaddy of course, but damnit everyone needs to hear them. Even though it's more upbeat, I could definately chill to some of their songs (He's Simple, He's Dumb, He's the Pilot). Yeah they don't fit, but oh well.

If you love Mogwai though, definately check out HSFHP. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's still a great albulm (a more fleshed out Rock Action minus the vocals and experimental electronic stuff like Sine Wave).

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I find that many people don't have the patience for Mogwai.

You would be suprised. When I was living in the dorms last year I would always have some Mogwai playing at full blast and quite a few people have asked me to copy it for them. I think the problem with most people is they are afraid to listen to new music. If it's not on MTV or the radio, most people don't give a sh!t and automatically disregard it, which is a shame. Mogwai seems to be the most accessible out of the post-rock genre though. I'll have Godspeed playing as well but no one seems to like it.

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Amen to that. I think that right there is the difference between people who really "feel" music and people who just like to listen to it. I put zero constraints on the music I listen to. I love it when I end up liking something I thought I wouldn't, and I find that there is usually something to like in any music.

But I do find post-rock to be incredibly moving music. Like a real life score/soundtrack. Some people find it depressing... whereas actually I see it as overwhelmingly uplifting. Mogwai, Sigur Ros, GSYBE (and spinoff projects)--it's all just brilliant music IMHO.

I'm glad you've opened some peoples' eyes with Mogwai. I haven't been as fortunate so far, but I'll keep trying :)

l2c

P.S. I see now what you were getting at with Grandaddy... yeah they are trippy... in a Flaming Lips sort of way. Great band... their new album's somewhat different but still good.

KeyserSoze

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2000
I find that many people don't have the patience for Mogwai.

You would be suprised. When I was living in the dorms last year I would always have some Mogwai playing at full blast and quite a few people have asked me to copy it for them. I think the problem with most people is they are afraid to listen to new music. If it's not on MTV or the radio, most people don't give a sh!t and automatically disregard it, which is a shame. Mogwai seems to be the most accessible out of the post-rock genre though. I'll have Godspeed playing as well but no one seems to like it.

I totally agree with you on your above point. It's such a shame, because there is such good music out there. People don't understand that just because it's not on MTV, doesn't automatically mean it's NOT good. Do they truly believe that out of all the music in the world, only the "good" stuff makes it into the mainstream? It truly is a shame.

I'll be sure to check out some of the names you all listed. I need to find out what all this Trip-Hop stuff is all about! :p

KeyserSoze

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Very well put.

I used to only listen to music that immediately kept my interest, then I began delving deeper into how music made me feel while I listened to it.

I came across Morcheeba's "Slow Down" completely by accident, and from there I was hooked. Morcheeba is my all time favorite "all-purpose" music - from passing time to winding down to getting my groove on.

I hear so many good things about Mogwai that it's at the top of my list to check out.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
And if anyone cares, they put up the Hunted By a Freak video here. (10.1Mb) The audio is not the best and it's pretty fvcking weird, but I like it.

Also if you like skateboarding vids they got one here (11.8Mb) using 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong.

I need to find out what all this Trip-Hop stuff is all about!

I want to know, too. If it's anything like Tricky which was mentioned above I need some recomendations. I had Evolution Revolution Love on repeat for about a month a while back. :)

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
You might like Red Snapper, although some of their songs arn't really down-tempo/chill-out. Check out the songs "4 Dead Monks" and "Spitalfields". The Amon Tobin album Out From Where is an incredible chill dark drum and bass album. DJ Krush is also some really good trip-hop, any of his albums would be good.

If you are looking for something with more traditional instruments but just as chill you really owe it to yourself to check out American Analog Set, I started out on the album Promise of Love, but having listened to all of their work I don't think you could go wrong with any of their stuff.

For something more on the jazz tip check out Charlie Hunter - Songs from the Analog Playground, The Philadelphia Experiment - The Philadelphia Experiment and Beastie Boys - The In Sound From Way Out.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: OREOSpeedwagon
How about some Radiohead, can I recommend the album Amnesiac? ;)

I just got that, lol. I think this blister on the top of my mouth is messing with my head.

**Let your pizza cool for a minute or two after you take it out of the oven!**