Financing a laptop

GermyBoy

Banned
Jun 5, 2001
I am looking to get a laptop, but want to pay it off over many months without any finance charges. Anyone know of a company with any introductory offers of 0.00% apr for the first x-number of months?

Thanks.

EDIT: Looks like right now BB has 2 year no interest financing, so I'm signing up for my card.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Got a best buy card?

I bought my laptop on the BB card with 18 months no interest financing.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
uh no.

you can try dell but you are going to have finance charge. i dont think any place will let you with % interest.

GermyBoy

Banned
Jun 5, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo
Got a best buy card? I bought my laptop on the BB card with 18 months no interest financing.

Nope, I don't. That's a pretty nice deal. 18 months is pretty nice with no financing. Is this an all the time offer with them?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: GermyBoy
Got a best buy card? I bought my laptop on the BB card with 18 months no interest financing.

Nope, I don't. That's a pretty nice deal. 18 months is pretty nice with no financing. Is this an all the time offer with them?

The offers change each week. Usually you get at least 6 months no interest financing, but the offers have been up to 24 months at times. Laptops usually get 1 year no interest financing.

Just check their fliers weekly.

SpazzyChicken

Feb 8, 2002
Originally posted by: GermyBoy

It goes on at least every other week. Sometimes is is 12-month, sometimes 18-month. I've even seen it as high as 24-month. Just check the ad or the website on sunday.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
actually dell has uh 90 days same as cash! but that sony offer looks way better.

Bekker

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2000
Be careful if you go the no interest route because most will contain a proviso that if any payments are late, interest accrues on the entire amount and the rate charged is steep. Just check the fine print and don't be late on any payments. You might or might not get it because many places only offer it to those with good credit scores

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
Just hope you never need an updated driver or support for a different OS.

rolleye.gif

Lvis

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I am typing this on my bb interest free laptop. I got 18 months, with about a year to go. Its worked out fine, although if you wait for the bill to come in the mail, you better get the check out quick... they don't give you much time before it's due.

No doubt this is intentional, as they want us to make a late payment, so they can start charging interest.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Get a quality laptop such as the Compaq X1000 series or equivelant HP.

Cerebus451

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: L vis
I am typing this on my bb interest free laptop. I got 18 months, with about a year to go. Its worked out fine, although if you wait for the bill to come in the mail, you better get the check out quick... they don't give you much time before it's due.

No doubt this is intentional, as they want us to make a late payment, so they can start charging interest.
Actually, Best Buy won't start charging interest until you are at least 60 (maybe 90?) days past due. However, even if you send your payment 10 days before it is due (2 days before the send by date they put on the bills), they will still claim it arrived late and hit you with a $35 late charge. One of these days I need to get off my lazy ass and send a bill return receipt so I can prove to them it arrived on time and their late charge is bogus.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001

Just make online payments. They are free and easy to do.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Make damned sure you pay it off in the interest free period and don't make any late payments or you'll end up paying way more than you should for it.

Lvis

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999

Just make online payments. They are free and easy to do.

I do the online banking thing. I have it set up to send it in at the same time every month.