Finally picked up Far Cry... Mouse problem - Damn

Damn Dirty Ape

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 1999
Finally picked up Far Cry and installed.. Odd thing is the mouse (Msoft entertainment keyboard 7000) mouse (bluetooth), works fine in the game menus, but in the actual game it is MIA. Game even suggests "use your mouse to look around" but nothing.

The options are such things as mouse accel, smoothing, sensitivity, all of which I've changed to all kinds of options. Vista Ultimate x64, sp1 applied. Latest kboard/mouse software installed too.

any thoughts?

Ephemeral

Dec 4, 2004
I remember having this issue a while ago when I played through it again, I think patch 1.4 on vista has joystick set as the default control scheme. Either do select default in control options, and exit the game and restart, or just manually bind the mouse in your config.

Rike

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Ephemeral
I remember having this issue a while ago when I played through it again, I think patch 1.4 on vista has joystick set as the default control scheme. Either do select default in control options, and exit the game and restart, or just manually bind the mouse in your config.

This is an old problem that I believe has something to do with the 1.4 patch. The standard fix is click the reset to defaults button in the menu, as suggested above.

Damn Dirty Ape

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 1999
Interesting. I will give this a try this afternoon. That's probably the only button I did NOT use as I just manually set each setting back.

hmm, I HOPE that is it. Wanted to pick it up and play through in anticipation of FC2 coming relatively soon. Please don't suck.

thanks

Ganeedi

Jul 7, 2008
Originally posted by: Rike
Originally posted by: Ephemeral

This is an old problem that I believe has something to do with the 1.4 patch. The standard fix is click the reset to defaults button in the menu, as suggested above.

Yep thats definately the fix - had the same problem recently.

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
If you your running 64-bit, pick up the patches. it ups some of the textures and draw distance.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
If you have patch 1.4 installed, I'd suggest uninstalling, reinstalling and patching only to 1.3x. 1.4 is extremely buggy, with mercs often able to shoot you through walls and other oddities. On the other hand, it enables HDR for ATi cards (which I think 1.3x does for nVidia). Regardless, HDR in Far Cry is rather primitive and looks bad 95% of the time, and absolutely garish in night-time environments. Although it's pretty f'n badass in the Ruins level :p

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Yes, the 1.3 patch is better. Both of the 1.4 patches have various glitches. You can use HDR (or HDR+AA) in 1.3 on either companies' cards, although a few slight workarounds are needed.

You need to play around with the three HDR parameters to get it to look right. The default settings are way too high, but it looks fantastic when those are turned down somewhat.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Damn Dirty Ape
Interesting. I will give this a try this afternoon. That's probably the only button I did NOT use as I just manually set each setting back.

hmm, I HOPE that is it. Wanted to pick it up and play through in anticipation of FC2 coming relatively soon. Please don't suck.

thanks

It's a great game. I still think about playing through it again. Especially now that I can play it maxxed out, 1600x1050, full AA, patched, etc.

I liked Crysis too... try that one out.. or wait for Crysis:Warhead since its supposed to be 10x's better.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
farcry is an awesome, difficult game.
i made the mistake of giving up on it only to play it thru 2.5 years after release.
stick with it.

Damn Dirty Ape

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 1999
Originally posted by: sticks435
If you your running 64-bit, pick up the patches. it ups some of the textures and draw distance.

Grabbed those but thank you for the tip, at first I thought they were only for the amd chips but I figured that one out.

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
Originally posted by: Damn Dirty Ape
Originally posted by: sticks435

Grabbed those but thank you for the tip, at first I thought they were only for the amd chips but I figured that one out.

NP. I'd hit up www.tweakguides.com, they have a section on FarCry. I used it to figure out the max settings I could set everything to, so I could make the most of the current gen hardware.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Just some patch clarification....1.33 is the best one to have. Enjoy! It's one of my all time favorite games for sure.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
1.33 is better than 1.4 because 1.4 has a bug that makes enemies see you through cloth -- tents. Its ok that bullets pass through but vision -- not so much ;)