Finally left AMD.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Unless AMD pulls a conroe with BD, I'll likely be with intel for several more years too, even though I prefer AMD. I remember my badass A64 4000+ San Diego

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
A cursory tour of overclocking tonight, guided by Gillbot (I'm generally a leave it at stock kind of guy) took me to 3.48GHz at 1.28v right off the bat. Pretty nice. Still trying to determine whether my HSF needs tweaking though.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
A cursory tour of overclocking tonight, guided by Gillbot (I'm generally a leave it at stock kind of guy) took me to 3.48GHz at 1.28v right off the bat. Pretty nice. Still trying to determine whether my HSF needs tweaking though.

just wondering what temps you getting with your core contact cooler? I wonder if it's sufficient to cool the i7 at high clocks.

LagunaX

Jan 7, 2010
I don't feel bad.
I left AMD cpu's when Core2Duo Conroes arrived. It wasn't even close with overclocking. Running a 4.5ghz e8600 now on air 1.3v.
However, AMD has come a long way AND I fully support ATI (owned by AMD) with 2 HD 5870's...but a sweet spot still remains for those DFI Lanparty Opteron 170 @ 2.9ghz days...

Last edited:

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001

I think you got more there, you just need some more tweaking. ;)

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
just wondering what temps you getting with your core contact cooler? I wonder if it's sufficient to cool the i7 at high clocks.

75c @ 3.48GHz under linpack (OCCT, IBT both) with HT on. 72 under Prime95. Idles in the mid 40's. I was hoping for a bit lower, mind you this is in an Antec P180b, so it's not the best airflow situation either.

I do have a 5c swing between hottest and coolest cores too, so we questioned whether or not I have a good spread of AS5 on there. I noticed that the gaps between the heatpipes and the aluminum block are rather wide, looks like the block may have warped a bit while on my AMD setup for the last year. I'm betting I may have a couple small TIM voids as a lot of the AS5 probably ended up filling the gaps instead of spreading over the heatpipes. Either that or it's the LGA1366 adapter for the CCF.

I think you got more there, you just need some more tweaking. ;)

I'm sure I do. Just need some tweaking, balls, patience and probably some water. :)

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2005
At stock clocks (2.8Ghz turbo) on an EK Lite, 1/2" id, 3x120 Swiftech QP rad and that top mounted res over the 355 pump, gaming UT3, I can reach up to 48*c in 70*F ambients.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
75c @ 3.48GHz under linpack (OCCT, IBT both) with HT on. 72 under Prime95. Idles in the mid 40's. I was hoping for a bit lower, mind you this is in an Antec P180b, so it's not the best airflow situation either.

I do have a 5c swing between hottest and coolest cores too, so we questioned whether or not I have a good spread of AS5 on there. I noticed that the gaps between the heatpipes and the aluminum block are rather wide, looks like the block may have warped a bit while on my AMD setup for the last year. I'm betting I may have a couple small TIM voids as a lot of the AS5 probably ended up filling the gaps instead of spreading over the heatpipes. Either that or it's the LGA1366 adapter for the CCF.

I'm sure I do. Just need some tweaking, balls, patience and probably some water. :)

i've seen that kind of spread on all my quads with a bunch of different coolers... even the i750 i just did with a corsair hc50... it just seems to be the way it is...

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
i've seen that kind of spread on all my quads with a bunch of different coolers... even the i750 i just did with a corsair hc50... it just seems to be the way it is...

I strive to keep the spread on my chips at 3c or less, though sometimes it's just not possible. I use water with thumbscrews on the blocks so I can tweak the balance by tightening certain nuts to even the temps.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
I don't quite understand the idea of being locked in with the AMD setup. You can get a current AM3 chip and stick it in almost any AM2 or AM2+ board because of the dual memory controllers. (Obviously works best with the AM3 boards of course.)

With intel, they have a different socket for each CPU series. Talk about a way to get you locked into one platform.

Just me. <shrug>
I'm running an 955BE in an MSI 790FX-GD70 that I got for $80 off (newegg "open box" woot!) for my main rig and two s775 rigs. i7 is nice, but far too expensive.

Last edited:

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Well, at least you sold the X4 940 and hopefully for enough to defray the cost of this a good bit. The prudent thing to do would be to wait to see if your current setup couldn't handle the planned VM well and then upgrade (being it wasn't some hoary old setup to begin with). If you said your main use was gaming I would really question the move from a cost perspective. Just wouldn't make much sense (but again, good job on selling the old chip).

Last edited:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Well, at least you sold the X4 940 and hopefully for enough to defray the cost of this a good bit. The prudent thing to do would be to wait to see if your current setup couldn't handle the planned VM well and then upgrade (being it wasn't some hoary old setup to begin with). If you said your main use was gaming I wouldn't really question the move from a cost perspective. Just wouldn't make much sense (but again, good job on selling the old chip).

Well, my primary use is gaming. Just happens that I've decided I'm going to do some development at home among other projects, and figured having the horsepower to run a couple VM's while not impacting gaming was appealing.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005

that's decent, although I'd get better cooling setup before going further on the oc. I have a P182 case and the biggest complaint for me is also the air flow, although if you open the front 5.25 bay cover and add a mesh or some type, seems to help cooling the cpu a great deal. also you as5 needs more time to cure, your temp might see a few degrees of drop in another 10-20hrs.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
3.33GHz @ 1.056v, that seems to have brought the temps down a good bit! :D

920d01.05v.jpg