Finally, it seems M$ "did it right" . . .

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I built this system -- a Skylake 6700K -- in late 2016 and early 2017. It HAD to be a win7/win10 dual-boot system. And it HAD to have PrimoCache L1 and L2 caching of selected drives. I later updated the memory to 32GB filling four slots.

Thereafter, the feature updates for Windows 10 caused me and others misery. I could check the PrimoCache forums, and I found similar indications. And luckily, I'd implemented daily backup with Macrium Reflect, so I could restore drives until I fixed the damn problems the updates caused.

The system since then has been mostly tip-top perfect. But I tweaked the MS Update settings to defer the next feature update.

Finally, this morning, I got that "do it tonight" and "restart now" dialog, announcing the feature update. Perhaps I should've waited and made preparations, but I didn't.

This time, the only thing that understandably occurred with the feature update: The two caching tasks of PrimoCache were borked and deleted. But dual-boot still works; everything else works fine, and Primocache allowed me to recreated the tasks with a "previous configuration" option. I only had to reinitialize the L2 NVME caching volume for my big SATA drive.

Finally -- they got it right! Finally!

Well, haven't been in these forums for a long time. I've been flaming and snorting at the Politics and News forum. I'm rebuilding two 24-year-old vehicles ("Garage" forum), and I want to strangle my TV set daily. This Feature Update installation has really raised my spirits.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Maybe you should go buy a lottery ticket.:p
I do that all the time. When the Mega Million and Power-Ball pots exceed $100 million, I buy one or two of each, depending on the pot. Odds being one out of a zillion, I regard this as buying three-days' to a weeks' worth of hope. At my age, hope is something you'd have to purchase, anyway.

I just thank my lucky stars that the feature update didn't mean a couple weeks' worth of troubleshooting and "re-update".