Finally have FIOS

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
They teased me by lighting up my neighboring towns over 2 years ago. I finally got mine running right now. The install guy said every LI town had to get approval (some in court) and thus the delays. Places like NJ only had to get 1 approval for the entire state.

Well I'm running at 20/5 @ $52/mo. + taxes (company pays $50) and the wait is water under the bridge.

Wheeeee

BTW, I'm not jumping on the FIOS TV wagon yet because they don't offer sports packages like NHL Center Ice yet.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
wow.... too bad FIOS will never arrive in podunk South Dakota.

Until then I'll have to stomach my pitiful 512Kb upload.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
question: how important is upload in determining internet speed? i never really understood what it was for.

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Kazaam
question: how important is upload in determining internet speed? i never really understood what it was for.

Upload has a lot to do with what kind of speeds you can achieve on the downstream. But a lot of people upload stuff to servers quite often, as well as play games and do P2P stuff as well.

Upload speed is very important to me, because the whole internet experience is better with a bigger upload.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Phokus
Dear OP: I'm holding up one finger at you... guess which one? ;)

Yeah, I got tired of doing that after 2 years myself.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Don't complain. It's not even close to the midwest =/ Even the non-podunk places, such as a good portion of Minnesota.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

In a strict sense, it's not.

Downloading at 2-3mbps will only use maybe 5kb of upload.

It will only affect download speeds if your upload bandwidth is maxed.

People want more upload speed so they can upload things faster. ;) lol

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Eli

it's not like it used to be tho, people don't use the internet strictly for browsing anymore.

uploading fotos, sending email attachments have gotten significantly more important to people than they used to be. and that's just the legal stuff.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

it's not like it used to be tho, people don't use the internet strictly for browsing anymore.

uploading fotos, sending email attachments have gotten significantly more important to people than they used to be. and that's just the legal stuff.
I made a 7min video file capture and shared it, it used to take DSL upload 25 minutes and I couldn't do a damn thing else. Today it took me 1.5 mins. I can do a whole collection in less than an hour instead of dreading doing it over months. Upload means a lot imo.

I haven't even loaded up torrents yet. It's supposed to go by a ratio of how fast you uploaded too.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

Gotta keep that ratio up for bittorrent... err not that i would know or anything.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have Fios available in my apartment complex. After comparing all options, it's not really that much cheaper, and I don't need the small spped increase, when I consider the 2 year contract that's required.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: SuperSix
I have Fios available in my apartment complex. After comparing all options, it's not really that much cheaper, and I don't need the small spped increase, when I consider the 2 year contract that's required.

Really? Mine was about $30/mo cheaper than Cox. Plus I've yet to have an outage (at least once every few weeks w/ Cox) and my HD picture seems a bit better. I've been very happy w/ the switch

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: slsmnaz
Originally posted by: SuperSix

Really? Mine was about $30/mo cheaper than Cox. Plus I've yet to have an outage (at least once every few weeks w/ Cox) and my HD picture seems a bit better. I've been very happy w/ the switch

Yes - not a huge savings here - and my Brighthouse uptime is amazing. It's really the contract that turns me off.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

I made a 7min video file capture and shared it, it used to take DSL upload 25 minutes and I couldn't do a damn thing else. Today it took me 1.5 mins. I can do a whole collection in less than an hour instead of dreading doing it over months. Upload means a lot imo.

I haven't even loaded up torrents yet. It's supposed to go by a ratio of how fast you uploaded too.

i wish i had your upload, i make kill videos for my wow guild, the 450 one i made yesterday took many hours to upload, i have to start it and then go to bed because it takes so damn long

GregGreen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000
This is random, but I think it is really funny when people who don't have Verizon as their phone provider ask when FiOS is coming to them...