Finally got my new heatsink installed

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Was using the stock cooler on my used i5 2500 but the noise was just unbelievable. The cpu would get up to 70c under load when it spun at over 3000rpm. :eek: The chip could probably handle it even at 90c though, so I would try to fiddle with the fan speed in the bios to make it quieter. The options were limited however because my board was a low cost unit snagged for under $60 shipped that lacked overclocking capabilities among many other utilities. (My budget always kept me in locked multiplier range so I didn't see the point in something high end)

But now that I got the Evo 212 installed I'm just amazed at how I went from 70c at 3000rpm to now 35-40c at 1300rpm. :awe: I didn't really need my locked cpu cooler, but the difference in noise is just pure bliss. It was a major pain having to uninstall my entire machine to put on the back plate, but I see now the extra effort is worth it. (I think next time I get a case it better have a removable back plate cover and a spot for the power supply on the bottom! You live and learn) In hindsight it's probably better this way having hot air exhaust out the back fan than having the stock cooler blowing 70c temps into the side of my case. (my antec sonata has no side or top vents) Not really a question to ask here, I just felt the need to brag at how much of a difference a cheap $25 cooler makes. :)

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I think people under estimate the need for good airflow through the case. It helps the CPU cooler a lot.

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
I found the EVO 212 a little hard to install. The first time I tried it got stuck on the little pin that helps line up the top bracket with the heat pipe block.I had to remove it and redo the AS5.

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
Pretty decent performance, I also just cleaned out my case and installed a new build with the EVO 212.

Intel i7 6700K
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming mobo
Corsair DDR4 3000
EVGA GTX 970

Nice little cooler, idling at 38C 650RPM (I have bottom and top vents on Lian Li case). Ran into a few snags here and there - the heatsink protrudes just a tad and barely fits my case, it is touching the side panel but I can close it. Also when I was installing the bracket, I was careful not to use too much force. I saw some white stuff come off what I thought was the mobo, thinking uh oh too tight. Luckily I read turns out it was wax or something off the standoffs of the EVO *whew*.

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
Hah yeah, that thing is massive. Did you guys use the stock thermal paste? Since you guys have slightly better temps. I used some old AS5 I had lying around and think I did a pretty good job of putting on a thin, even layer with a credit card.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Is that a 8 core 16 threads CPU Calyco ? You must be flying high with that CPU ,,,, you need a Titan X with a CPU like that or a SLI of them...

Last edited:

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
I just used a small bead in the center, pressed down the heatsink once, a little wiggle back and forth and then started to tighten down the screws.