Finally found a Wii!

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
Well, actually the Wii is my bro's; but the point is, I found one. Here's the story, I went to EBX and asked. They said they had them but it wasn't in the system. I had to wait ten minutes for the supervisor to come. The supervisor said it wasn't their shipment, it was Funcoland's. So I followed him over to Funcoland and finally purchased a Wii. It was only one box with three Wii's in it. Insane. I've heard that people only get a Wii just as the delivery arrives, but I didn't know how true it was. There was already someone on the phone who also knew that the packages had come in. So at least two were gone.

For all that said there was... there is NO calibration setting on the Wii. I don't know wtf you guys were talking about. Sensitivity, screen position and all that jazz is not calibration.

So I played 2 games, Wii Sports, Boxing & Twilight Princess. The Boxing game wasn't very responsive to my movements. The reason is that you can't do anything but punch forward. You can't uppercut, you can crouch. All you can do is dodge left, dodge right, punch low and punch high. This is really disappointing. I expected something much better, than non-responsive simple controls like this. The game could've been so much more satisfying.

The graphics for Zelda TP look pretty good. They don't try to be realistic, but it's one of the most detailed Zelda game ever. Wind Waker is a little fuzzy in my head though, so I can't really say; but at least the 2nd most detailed Zelda. This game has no problem communicating what it wants and at times can even be impressive. If only my bro had a good TV, it would have been better. I still think the Wii should have gone for 720p. At least they put out progressive.

I got stuck in Zelda. I can't believe it was on the first mission too. And I mean the very first. I looked at an guide and I still can't figure out what I did wrong. Getting the bulls to go into the barn. Hard. I tried to round them up one by one - do you know how many times they ran across or turned away from the front of the doorway of the barn? Many. One even looked like it went in, only to be spit out again. This is tough. I didn't know rounding cattle would be this hard. Anyway, I gave up due to frustration. I didn't know how to get them in. Fado just said round them in. What was I doing wrong?

Update:
To comment on the noise of the Wii. Remember that guy that tested the noises and said the Wii was the loudest of the bunch. What a crack smoking liar! The Wii, while playing a game with the CD spinning is a little lower than the 360 when you first turn it on without a DVD inside. The loudest noise that the Wii makes is when it's spitting or swallowing the CD, which is irrelevant.

mad0maxx

Feb 3, 2006
Originally posted by: VIAN
So I played 2 games, Wii Sports, Boxing & Twilight Princess. The Boxing game wasn't very responsive to my movements. The reason is that you can't do anything but punch forward. You can't uppercut, you can crouch. All you can do is dodge left, dodge right, punch low and punch high. This is really disappointing. I expected something much better, than non-responsive simple controls like this. The game could've been so much more satisfying.

Well Wii Sports came with the system so you can not expect a grade A game there because now adays all systems (generally) do not even come with a game so even though the game does not have rapid responses, it came with the system at no extra charge so be happy with that.

I got stuck in Zelda. I can't believe it was on the first mission too. And I mean the very first. I looked at an guide and I still can't figure out what I did wrong. Getting the bulls to go into the barn. Hard. I tried to round them up one by one - do you know how many times they ran across or turned away from the front of the doorway of the barn? Many. One even looked like it went in, only to be spit out again. This is tough. I didn't know rounding cattle would be this hard. Anyway, I gave up due to frustration. I didn't know how to get them in. Fado just said round them in. What was I doing wrong?

I would take it that you are on your horse Epona and you are running around gathering the goats... not bulls ^_^ The way I did it was to start at one side of the area and do a half circle turn around and do another half circle going back to the area I came from initially while at the same time making that half circle smaller and smaller and that is how it worked for me. Hope this helps...

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
Originally posted by: mad0maxx
Well Wii Sports came with the system so you can not expect a grade A game there because now adays all systems (generally) do not even come with a game so even though the game does not have rapid responses, it came with the system at no extra charge so be happy with that.
Yeah... Well it doesn't come with the system in Japan. People have to buy it. I was speaking for the Japanese people. :)

Still, it's a disappointing show. Although it didn't fail to attract newcomers, the last thing you want to do is buy something and then have to worry that it's not what you thought.

mad0maxx

Feb 3, 2006
Originally posted by: mad0maxx
Yeah... Well it doesn't come with the system in Japan. People have to buy it. I was speaking for the Japanese people. :)

Still, it's a disappointing show. Although it didn't fail to attract newcomers, the last thing you want to do is buy something and then have to worry that it's not what you thought.

Yeah, I hate that... especially with new computer hardware ;) (ex D-Link Securespot DSD-150; speculation AWESOME!; reality pure crap!)

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
You just suck at Boxing. Although I admit the controls have frustrated me in the past. You can jab high and low, throw hooks from both sides AND uppercut. Not to mention dodge, block and chain hits together for speedy "combos" (sort of). Once I figured out how to play Boxing I started to enjoy it a lot more. Bowling is still my favorite though. I pick it up occasionally, but I have a bunch of better games (Zelda, and 5 GC games I picked up for my Wii).

As for the GOAT HERDING task... you have to follow them pretty close to the barn for them to go all the way in. If you turn away too soon they will slow down and eventually turn around. If you go too fast though you'll overshoot them and make them turn away from you to the side. I never bothered trying to get as many in as possible... just rounded the small groups up and drove them in.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
make sure to hollar while your rounding them up.

If you hollar too much at the same goat they will turn red and charge you and knock you off Epona.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
wait, weren't you the guy that had a wii, said it sucked, and sold it ?
no

then you're PS3 fanboy who kept bashing the Wii

LOL.

I used to be a Wii owner; beat Zelda. Sold it though for profit after. Bought a PS3 with Amazon 25% coupon :eek:

I never bashed the Wii though.

Kromis

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
wait, weren't you the guy that had a wii, said it sucked, and sold it ?
no

then you're PS3 fanboy who kept bashing the Wii

Actually, he wasn't really against any of the systems. He was just bashing at their weaknesses

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
Stupid me. I'm a dumbass. The reason why I couldn't get the goats into the barn was because I "technically" never started the challenge. I overlooked a final statement when I talked to Fado, unmounted. After I said "Yes" to Fado, it was easy as cake.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Wii Sports Boxing is the worst Wii Sports game in terms of accuracy of the controls. You definitely can throw upper cuts and hooks and whatnot. There's actually instructions somewhere online that tell you how to throw the punches in a way that allows the Wii to more easily recognize what punch you're throwing. What you have to realize is that the quality of the controls depends heavily on how well it's programmed, not necessarily on the system itself. The system provides the data, the game decides what to do with it. So with the Wii more than any system in history I think you'll see a lot of variability in the quality of controls. The programmers have to find a balance between overly sensitive and not sensitive enough. If you want to see an example of much better programming, check out Wii Sports Baseball. Wave the bat around and you'll see how well it matches your motions. So clearly the system is capable of accurate controls.

As for the lack of calibration - it really wouldn't have been difficult for them to have accuracy down to the pixel - they did it with the Super Scope. But what would be the point? You don't look down your Wii Remote like a gun sight. And more importantly, calibrating it like that wouldn't really allow you to move around. You'd have to sit in the same spot and not move too far. Each time you sit in a different spot, you'd have to recalibrate the remote. That's kind of inconvenient. Moving based on the pointer's position on the screen works fine for me. I can do pretty well in the Wii Play shooting game that way.