Finally finished Bioshock Infinite

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I just finished Bioshock infinite today and I had to walk away for a while to collect my thoughts about it.
The ending definately ranks right up there for quality finishes in a video game, regardless of platform.
It left me just going Wow!... I didn't see that coming. Call me naive lol but its true I was expecting something different.

All in all I would say easily falls into top % of games I have played in the FPS single player genre. I cannot wait for another game from this developer.
( I played Bioshock 1 and 2 though preferred the first of those games)

Big :thumbsup: from me if any of you haven't played it yet.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
I died like 10 times on that stupid ship by being reckless and not realizing that it was the end of the game, so the game ended abruptly for me, though the entire experience only lasted maybe 5 hours? Was very short anyway.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I died like 10 times on that stupid ship by being reckless and not realizing that it was the end of the game, so the game ended abruptly for me, though the entire experience only lasted maybe 5 hours? Was very short anyway.

My first playthrough was on hard. That ship definately was a doozy... I died a couple times at least. Ended up fighting... spam looting for health and ammo from dead bodies then finding cover, rinse repeat.
At one point I was like... man is this ever going to end. Lots of fun though. :awe:

As for game length, I didnt rush through and I looted everything I could possibly find, in fact I would search rooms carefully for stuff to loot.
On a side note... the Vigor I used to beat the ship on hard was Charge + both upgrades. My gear had 2 Melee centric pieces. One that added invul to target + one that did the 300 dmg explosion if I recall correctly.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
My first playthrough was on hard. That ship definately was a doozy... I died a couple times at least. Ended up fighting... spam looting for health and ammo from dead bodies then finding cover, rinse repeat.
At one point I was like... man is this ever going to end. Lots of fun though. :awe:

As for game length, I didnt rush through and I looted everything I could possibly find, in fact I would search rooms carefully for stuff to loot.
On a side note... the Vigor I used to beat the ship on hard was Charge + both upgrades. My gear had 2 Melee centric pieces. One that added invul to target + one that did the 300 dmg explosion if I recall correctly.

Yeah i played on hard also, but the game seems balanced for consoles: with mouse and Keyboard it's ridiculously easy. I pretty much only used upgraded charge for most of the game (aoe stun was op). As for weapons i think i used machine gun and sniper rifle most of the time, both upgraded of course. On a console i suppose the game might be challenging, though frustratingly awkward to control.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Yeah i played on hard also, but the game seems balanced for consoles: with mouse and Keyboard it's ridiculously easy. I pretty much only used upgraded charge for most of the game (aoe stun was op). As for weapons i think i used machine gun and sniper rifle most of the time, both upgraded of course. On a console i suppose the game might be challenging, though frustratingly awkward to control.

I played on PC on Hard using Xbox 360 wired controller. My favourite weapons were Shotgun and Carbine, both upgraded. I pushed all points into Shield and then final part of game I put into Vigor.
I dont mind the controller. The most lethal mobs for hits against me were the Darn snipers. They hit like a truck lol.
Oh well when I feel like playing again I will play the 1999 mode. Should be interesting.

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
I kind of saw the shock ending a mile away after people reviewing that the ending was so awesome.

I was still pretty early on in the game, but basically I narrow down my thoughts. I basically thought, what could the shock ending be without finishing the game or looking into it.

The ending has to involve the three main characters. I mean they are the only characters the people really cared about.

So the shock ending has to be about the three.

Second, I knew it can't be a cliche ending like it was all a dream or something to that effect.
I mean come on, people would not say it is such a good ending if it was. A dream would be too cliche.

Third, wasn't it weird there wasn't any romantic interactions between the chick and the dude?

Last edited:

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I kind of saw the shock ending a mile away after people reviewing that the ending was so awesome.

I was still pretty early on in the game, but basically I narrow down my thoughts. I basically thought, what could the shock ending be without finishing the game or looking into it.

The ending has to involve the three main characters. I mean they are the only characters the people really cared about.

So the shock ending has to be about the three.

Second, I knew it can't be a cliche ending like it was all a dream or something to that effect.
I mean come on, people would not say it is such a good ending if it was. A dream would be too cliche.

Third, wasn't it weird there wasn't any romantic interactions between the chick and the dude?

Yeah I wondered about that.. I figured if it was going to happen it would happen at the end. Guess not lol.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Ummm it was good that it didn't happen as
The chick was the dude's daughter

royo

Mar 8, 2012
Well,
Booker is clearly at least twice her age so it's not so hard to believe there isn't a huge attraction.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007

The trick is you've got to get the Winter Shield gear. It grants brief invulnerability when you jump to skylines and skyhooks. IIRC, it's about 10-15sec. Allows you to easily dispatch the rocket soldiers and motorized patriots. Use the skyline strike attack as much as possible to conserve ammo.

I went back and played the first Bioshock working under my theory from the spoiler thread. Makes beating Andrew Ryan's brains in with a putter all the more chilling.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Ok. I guess I'm dense I thought maybe he had died and was deciding on if his fate was going to heaven or hell :)
-
Yea the ending suprise me and to be honest the end of the day I didn't care for it much (though it made sense given the rest of the story).

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
, so the game ended abruptly for me, though the entire experience only lasted maybe 5 hours? Was very short anyway.

I've never understood people who play the game like they are on a speed run and then complain about length.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Controller on pc for an fps? kak, bru. nooooooit, ek se.

Your response makes me think you are either Dutch, German or Afrikaans. :) Reason I ask is I live in South Africa, hence Afrikaans. Just curious :)

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Ok. I guess I'm dense I thought maybe he had died and was deciding on if his fate was going to heaven or hell :)
-
Yea the ending suprise me and to be honest the end of the day I didn't care for it much (though it made sense given the rest of the story).

When it ended I sat there for a moment... just kinda taking it in and going... ok... well ... wow... didn't see that one coming. Don't feel alone. :biggrin:

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I've never understood people who play the game like they are on a speed run and then complain about length.

A game like Bioshock demands you slow down and enjoy the surroundings as much as possible. Always goodies to discover. Not as much as say GTA series or Skyrim or the likes but hidden Easter eggs none the less.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
-

The ending was deliberately left ambiguous and up to interpretation. The going and to me the most plausible theory
is that Booker is trapped in a temporal causality loop. Comstock isn't an alternate reality version of you, but a future version should Booker choose not to let Elizabeth drown him. Sort of defies Occam's Razor but there's a lot of things that back this up in the game.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Your response makes me think you are either Dutch, German or Afrikaans. :) Reason I ask is I live in South Africa, hence Afrikaans. Just curious :)

no, no, and nope. You must be afrikaans... :)

Anyway, i didn't rush. The game is just short and didn't require exploration, unlike, say, far cry 3, for example, which took more like 15-20 hours. Though I guess if i used a joypad too then both might have taken me a few months. lol j/k.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
That's what we're saying, you rushed through. The game is around 15-18 hours, and I didn't get everything. There's no way you did it in 5 hours unless you ran through the levels and skipped all the scenes.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
no, no, and nope. You must be afrikaans... :)

Anyway, i didn't rush. The game is just short and didn't require exploration, unlike, say, far cry 3, for example, which took more like 15-20 hours. Though I guess if i used a joypad too then both might have taken me a few months. lol j/k.

Hehe... nope English here... just Afrikaans is one of the more common languages here. Some of their words are similar to what you posted :). I was just curious, no offence intended. :)

I honestly wish a game like Bioshock had around 20-25 hours of exploration. I would be a very very happy gamer. :biggrin:

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
But that is what I thought the 'real' ending was; I was just expressing what I thought the ending would be while playing the game; the 'real' ending I didn't care for - thought it was a bit corney.

The ending was deliberately left ambiguous and up to interpretation. The going and to me the most plausible theory
is that Booker is trapped in a temporal causality loop. Comstock isn't an alternate reality version of you, but a future version should Booker choose not to let Elizabeth drown him. Sort of defies Occam's Razor but there's a lot of things that back this up in the game.