Finally Boehner is be rational, clean debt ceiling increase being voted on

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'm sure it's part of a deal with the Teatards- Boehner gets the clean debt ceiling bill, and they get to rave & stymie immigration reform.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
It's telling that Repubs are so thoroughly defeated that few if any are raising a stink about the debt ceiling. Literally their whole 2014 is going to be focused on Obamacare, and it's going to be a smoldering pile of failure by November.

BUnit1701

May 1, 2013
I am all for fiscal responsibility, but the time to do that is during the budget process. I am glad to see Boehner is doing the tough, but right thing. Too bad the Tea Party is going to eat him alive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/u...-to-vote-without-policy-attachments.html?_r=0

The debt ceiling is about paying for spending that's already occurred. Refusing to raise the debt ceiling would be akin to if you ran up charges on your credit card and refused to then pay the credit card bill.

you see--it's already been allotted. that's the problem.

the amount of money that is spent has nothing to do with the debt ceiling.

This is like you taking a loan out to pay for your Bugatti and pay it off in a year, then telling the bank a year later that you aren't going to pay it off because you arbitrarily put a limit on your own responsibility.

at which point were you being least responsible?

Where do you morons come up with this shit?

First, a budget is set. They know at that poinit how many trillions of dollars they intend to spend vs how many they will take in. This is akin to deciding to buy the Bugatti.

Then the money is appropriated, a.k.a. a check written. Doesn't matter if there is money in the account or not, the checks are in the mail.

The last stage is getting a big fucking loan so the checks don't bounce. There is nothing responsible about this, the responsible thing to do was not write the checks in the first place. Sure, avoiding 'default' is in our best interest, but when we tried to stop you spend-happy Big Government types from writing all those checks, we got called hostage taking terrorists. Doesn't seem to be any way to make you happy other than roll over and let you drive us into the ground.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
It's telling that Repubs are so thoroughly defeated that few if any are raising a stink about the debt ceiling. Literally their whole 2014 is going to be focused on Obamacare, and it's going to be a smoldering pile of failure by November.

Another reason I like Obamacare. Takes away the Republican incentive to crash the economy.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Sure, avoiding 'default' is in our best interest, but when we tried to stop you spend-happy Big Government types from writing all those checks, we got called hostage taking terrorists.

Yeah. That's right. You don't get to crash the nation because you're unable to present a reasonable plan.... And a plan doesn't consist of the bullshit yowling from the teabaggers...

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Anyone think that articles talking about holding tax refunds because of the debt limit (especially this time of year) had anything to do with it? Nobody wants to be the bad guy when it comes to holding back tax refunds, especially in an election year.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
The clean bill passed the House. Hopefully, this signals the demise of the tantrum as a political tool at least in the short term.
Cruz is now threatening to filibuster again, according to a report on tonight's local news.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Cruz is now threatening to filibuster again, according to a report on tonight's local news.

Well, these things are always entertaining, even if they take us nowhere. He will slow down spending for a few hours though. :)

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Cruz is just a little joke that Texas played on the rest of the country.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Going into the midterms, this was the proper move. Why cause fights and obstructionism? This is a well played conservative move, as will be proven later. They just gave B.O. a little more rope.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Going into the midterms, this was the proper move. Why cause fights and obstructionism? This is a well played conservative move, as will be proven later. They just gave B.O. a little more rope.

Happy days are always going to be just around the corner for you conservatives.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

lulz.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Democrats broke the budget process.

Once again, DSF enlightens us all with his amazing ignorance.

This is factually untrue. Let me ask you , is Ted Cruz a Democrat or Republican? Because he caused the shut down the government, not the (non-liberal) Democrats. Back in 2011, who was repsonsible for almost defaulting? Oh, that's right, the GOP.

In fact, Dick Gephardt instituted a rule to link the budget to the debt ceiling, to prevent this kind of BS that the GOP has been doing recently.

Note to DSF: Gephardt was a Democrat.

It wasn't until 1995 that his rule was repealed.

Note to DSF: That was a GOP controlled congress, they pushed for it.

So another epic fail by a right-wing troll.

Link

DSF, have you heard that old quote? You should pay attention and heed it:

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Bravo, you just removed all doubt about yourself. Between that and the whole "liberal democrat shift", you are just full of it recently.

Apr 27, 2012
Yeah. That's right. You don't get to crash the nation because you're unable to present a reasonable plan.... And a plan doesn't consist of the bullshit yowling from the teabaggers...

The Tea Party didn't crash the economy and it looks like you're still not over getting teabagged by Tea Party patriots :D

Nov 30, 2006
Once again, DSF enlightens us all with his amazing ignorance.

This is factually untrue. Let me ask you , is Ted Cruz a Democrat or Republican? Because he caused the shut down the government, not the (non-liberal) Democrats. Back in 2011, who was repsonsible for almost defaulting? Oh, that's right, the GOP.

In fact, Dick Gephardt instituted a rule to link the budget to the debt ceiling, to prevent this kind of BS that the GOP has been doing recently.

Note to DSF: Gephardt was a Democrat.

It wasn't until 1995 that his rule was repealed.

Note to DSF: That was a GOP controlled congress, they pushed for it.

So another epic fail by a right-wing troll.

Link

DSF, have you heard that old quote? You should pay attention and heed it:

Bravo, you just removed all doubt about yourself. Between that and the whole "liberal democrat shift", you are just full of it recently.
Thank you for your keen insight. I'd normally respond but I just can't bear the thought of any more humiliation after you exposed my ignorance so completely and thoroughly. You're quite special...don't let anybody ever tell you differently.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Thank you for your keen insight. I'd normally respond but I just can't bear the thought of any more humiliation after you exposed my ignorance so completely and thoroughly. You're quite special...don't let anybody ever tell you differently.

You know, you make a habit of BS'ing a lot of crap that is factually incorrect, then when called on it, don't even attempt to dispute anything you claim, and just go for ad hom style insults. Taht is classic troll behavior.

Would you like to refute anything of what I posted?

Would you like to offer any concrete evidence to support you initial statement?

Would you like to admit you are trolling?

Because you are just looking dumber and dumber.

Nov 30, 2006
You know, you make a habit of BS'ing a lot of crap that is factually incorrect, then when called on it, don't even attempt to dispute anything you claim, and just go for ad hom style insults. Taht is classic troll behavior.

Would you like to refute anything of what I posted?

Would you like to offer any concrete evidence to support you initial statement?

Would you like to admit you are trolling?

Because you are just looking dumber and dumber.
I don't believe a reasonable conversation with you is possible.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
I don't believe a reasonable conversation with you is possible.

LOL..so you feel fine to lie on P&N, and you can't refute anything I posted (I even added links so you knew it wasn't something I made up). Gotcha.

You don't even have to have a conversation with me....just post facts proving me wrong. But you admit you can't, so once again, you are trolling.

Guess everyone can see that now. Typical troll, runs and hides when called out with facts. Go back under your bridge.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
The Tea Party didn't crash the economy and it looks like you're still not over getting teabagged by Tea Party patriots :D

No, the Tea Party didn't exist when the economy crashed. The economy crashed after years and years of Republican control and stupid policies. The Tea Party has done a fantastic job of preventing the economy from improving though.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The debt ceiling shouldn't be raised, spending needs to be cut and it's irresponsible to raise the debt ceiling.

The debt ceiling should be raised, spending needs to be increased and it's irresponsible to not raise the debt ceiling.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The debt ceiling shouldn't be raised, spending needs to be cut and it's irresponsible to raise the debt ceiling.

The debt ceiling should be raised, spending needs to be increased and it's irresponsible to not raise the debt ceiling.

Apr 27, 2012
No, the Tea Party didn't exist when the economy crashed. The economy crashed after years and years of Republican control and stupid policies. The Tea Party has done a fantastic job of preventing the economy from improving though.

No they haven't.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Anyone think that articles talking about holding tax refunds because of the debt limit (especially this time of year) had anything to do with it? Nobody wants to be the bad guy when it comes to holding back tax refunds, especially in an election year.

This is the correct answer.