Finally beat GTA4

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Probably one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. It's not that it's overly challenging - it's not. But the lack of mid-mission checkpoints if something bad happens and amount of time it takes to get menial sh1t done can make it a fairly tiresome experience.

chubbyfatazn

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2006
I still haven't finished it. I got it when it released back in 2008, and lost interest in the main story roughly 3/4 of the way through the game. Happened both times I tried to play through it.

I guess I like running around the city and doing random crap more than I do doing the missions

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
That's GTA for you, especially with the poor AI combined with very bad vehicle physics. Some missions can be a real pain. More trial and error than player skill.

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
Thats what made San Andreas so much funner than 4....all those random side missions/trainings/jumps etc .... there were shitloads of them.

I enjoyed 4.......best part was the movie maker.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I didn't like SA because of the whole "I'm a thug" atmosphere. I despise that. Plus there was too much pointless crap tossed in. Eating fast food makes you fat, that is utterly pointless.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
I've never been able to finish 4 so props to you. Just got boring and the characters aren't very likable so it's difficult to get ingrained in the story.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I liked 4 and all the DLC. I didn't like the whole "call your friend and go out" thing though. Pretty much skipped all that

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
I thought GTA 4 was the easiest one since that's when they improved the shooting mechanics.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
GTA 4 was a good game. I must have beaten it at least 4 times though. What I like now is loading it up with eye candy from ICEnhancer, putting on some custom cars and installing a zombie mod. Then I just run around the city pretending im Will Smith at ground 0 :D

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I didn't like SA because of the whole "I'm a thug" atmosphere. I despise that. Plus there was too much pointless crap tossed in. Eating fast food makes you fat, that is utterly pointless.

You're a "Thug" in every GTA game. :colbert:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
That's GTA for you, especially with the poor AI combined with very bad vehicle physics. Some missions can be a real pain. More trial and error than player skill.

IMO, GTA IV's vehicle physics is pretty much spot on.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
I played the main story and the biker's part too, but couldn't finish the pimp's thing.

I hated the game - badly optimized for the PC, poor graphics and the worst part of the GFWL.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I played the main story and the biker's part too, but couldn't finish the pimp's thing.

I hated the game - badly optimized for the PC, poor graphics and the worst part of the GFWL.

Actually, after spending about 80 hours playing this game on PC, and also playing other open world games like Just Cause 2 and Saints Row The Third,in my opinion GTA4 is actually not that badly optimized. It's actually pretty well optimized relatively speaking.

The game has so much more dynamically going on than other open world games, you can't even really compare. With the level of physics, the size of the world (the city in GTA4 is MUCH larger than Saints Row The Third) the amount of detail in general, and most importantly, the euphoria physics engine. It really makes a huge difference.

Saints Row The Third is a cardboard cutout in comparison.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Glad to see I'm not alone; I never finished GTA IV because it was the least fun GTA game I had played (III, VC, SA, IV).

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I never finished 4. Didn't care much for the story after awhile and some of the missions are just frustrating at times because so much random shit can happen and it takes a long time to get the "action" part of some missions where the random shit can happen that it makes redoing them a big chore.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
I can never seem to get into 4. The whole "I came to america to be a decent guy, I'll say I'm a decent guy, really I'm ok... all while I shoot you in the face or smash your head in" really ruins the characters for me. That and they in characters like Manny. At least Brucie grows on you.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Love GTA 4 myself. I finished it about 3 years ago (2 years after release). Love Niko's self-deprecating jokes and the city itself feels alive/dynamic. Agree that SR3's city holds no candle against GTA4's.

I'd love to replay it again with the ICEnchancer mod (which I have't had much luck in getting to work).

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I've never finished a GTA. Doesn't stop me from buying them and enjoying them for a bit.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I finished the main game years ago. It was good, but it's always better to just free roam and do you own thing... Love Sandbox.