Finally a cool and quiet gtx 470...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Does the temperature of your room increase from a 75 watt lightbulb?
Thats ridiculous unless you live in a closet. :)

If it's too hot for your case, you picked the wrong case for your hobbie.

Uh, of course the temperature in the room increases from a 75W lightbulb! Plus many people do game in small rooms.

The effect of a hot card depends on the size of the room and the ambient temperature. Not all of us game in massive, cavernous rooms with 9' ceilings! Many gamers game in small bedrooms/gaming rooms/dorm rooms. My college room got hotter from gaming back in the day from my roommate and I cranking Warcraft 3 all night long!

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
My college room got hotter from gaming back in the day from my roommate and I cranking Warcraft 3 all night long!

So basically what you are saying is that even with much lower powered hardware back in the day, gaming rigs put out heat.

Point taken. Splitting hairs over what an HD 5850 is going to dump into a room vs. a GTX 470 is a bit silly. Gaming.rigs.make.heat. I haven't had one yet in 10 years that hasn't. Just the way it is.

Madcatatlas

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2010
it has a 3 slot design with 3 fans...Sli d thats 6 fans just for the gpus, whats the power requirements of this thing anyway?

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
it has a 3 slot design with 3 fans...Sli d thats 6 fans just for the gpus, whats the power requirements of this thing anyway?
I was just going to say that. Throwing a larger chunk of copper on the GPU and more fans doesn't fix the original problem that it's a power hog. The extra fans probably aren't going to help it in that department. Hopefully one can get some godlike overclocks out if it make it semi-worthwhile.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
30db is NOT quiet.

well my 5750 is louder @ 51db then that. So define quiet.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2856/13

Copy and paste from Guru 3d.

TYPICAL SOUND LEVELS
Jet takeoff (200 feet) 120 dBA
Construction Site 110 dBA Intolerable
Shout (5 feet) 100 dBA
Heavy truck (50 feet) 90 dBA Very noisy
Urban street 80 dBA
Automobile interior 70 dBA Noisy
Normal conversation (3 feet) 60 dBA
Office, classroom 50 dBA Moderate
Living room 40 dBA
Bedroom at night 30 dBA Quiet
Broadcast studio 20 dBA
Rustling leaves 10 dBA Barely audible

Last edited:

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The heat is largely irrelevant (open a window or something), and so is power consumption for the kind of people that would buy this thing.

Noise however is a big problem for many, so if the cooler is silent then it’s a big plus.

I was just trying to make the point that a better cooler that lowers the GPU temp doesn't change how much heat it puts out... it simply lowers the GPU temp.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
well my 5750 is louder @ 51db then that. So define quiet.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2856/13

Copy and paste from Guru 3d.

TYPICAL SOUND LEVELS
Jet takeoff (200 feet) 120 dBA
Construction Site 110 dBA Intolerable
Shout (5 feet) 100 dBA
Heavy truck (50 feet) 90 dBA Very noisy
Urban street 80 dBA
Automobile interior 70 dBA Noisy
Normal conversation (3 feet) 60 dBA
Office, classroom 50 dBA Moderate
Living room 40 dBA
Bedroom at night 30 dBA Quiet
Broadcast studio 20 dBA
Rustling leaves 10 dBA Barely audible
That scale isn't very useful. Measures in dB are useful for comparison purposes only, and really only within the exact same sequence/testing conditions. Putting them on an absolute scale for reference simply isn't correct, as it doesn't represent the true intensity of sound being emitted, and certainly not of that being heard (which is a whole other can of worms, especially since it doesn't account for the quality of the sound).

You can probably assume that this card is quieter than a stock GTX 470 under load (at least one would hope), but without a review that does some more detailed testing, who the heck knows.
I was just trying to make the point that a better cooler that lowers the GPU temp doesn't change how much heat it puts out... it simply lowers the GPU temp.
And that's an excellent point. Lower temps mean jack to the end user unless they grant any performance benefits (via overclocking), which is yet to be seen. However, I would imagine they would in this case, since Fermi seems to be such a high leakage chip.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
That scale isn't very useful. Measures in dB are useful for comparison purposes only, and really only within the exact same sequence/testing conditions. Putting them on an absolute scale for reference simply isn't correct, as it doesn't represent the true intensity of sound being emitted, and certainly not of that being heard (which is a whole other can of worms, especially since it doesn't account for the quality of the sound).

You can probably assume that this card is quieter than a stock GTX 470 under load (at least one would hope), but without a review that does some more detailed testing, who the heck knows.
And that's an excellent point. Lower temps mean jack to the end user unless they grant any performance benefits (via overclocking), which is yet to be seen. However, I would imagine they would in this case, since Fermi seems to be such a high leakage chip.

I see what your saying . Anands review has the 5770 at 51 db's and the Guru 3d review has it at 40 db's. Most reviews have the 58xx series up in the 50 db range.
Even if the 30 db measurment was cherry picked, it's still sounds much better then the 60db's that the 470 card currently has.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
Honestly , if the 22c cooler temps and only 30db is true , no it's not.
5870 runs in the 80's and about 45db.
"Inno3D announce triple slot GTX 470 Hawk"

"announce triple slot GTX 470"

"triple slot GTX 470"

"triple slot"

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
"Inno3D announce triple slot GTX 470 Hawk"

"announce triple slot GTX 470"

"triple slot GTX 470"

"triple slot"

Well most aftermarket coolers are triple slot. Almost all thermalright GPU coolers require 3 slots (fan included). Arctic Cooling Accelero series too are 3 slots.

However.. quad slot would be an eye opener :D