Final year project in distributed computing

munisgtm

Apr 18, 2006
Hi

I'm a computer engineering student and i have to submit a final year project proposal next month, well I'm interested in doing something in Distributed computing such as making a small cluster and may be a bit of grid computing as well , but problem my university requires having hardware as part of the FYP ,i just can't think of linking up clusters or distrubted computing and hardware such as FPGAs (which I'm familiar with). Any ideas and links will appreciated extremely.

Thanks in advance!

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
There was once a thread on another forum about sieving or factoring for prime search efforts. It looks like the original poster gave up on sieving, but at least factoring looks plausible.

If you want to learn about the BSGS algorithm mentioned in the thread, which supposedly wouldn't work well on FPGAs at the time, here's that thread.

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
you could also use wikipedia to find an unproven mathematical conjecture and test it for huge n values. The project doesn't make any real sense from a maths point of view, (because you can't prove for instance the collatz conjecture for every positive integer, you can only test huge numbers...) but it will be great for computer science.

EDIT: the advantage of such conjectures are that they are often easy to program ;)