Question **FINAL UPDATE!** "New" CPU, powers on then off

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I'm running a MSI P67A GD-80 Rev.3 with 16GB ram, 5850 video card, a 1 and 2TB HDD, and 2 DVD R/W's.
I previously had an i5 2500K in it and it ran fine. I decided to "upgrade" to an i7 3700.
After I installed it and hit the power button, the system powered on (ie lights on motherboard, fans spinning), ran for about 5 seconds, turned itself off, the started again, into a loop. Nothing ever showed up on the screen.
Here's what I've tried so far:
Removed MB from case and tried to bench test it, ensure everything was seated (three times), ensured the CPU was in correctly, ensured a good connection between the CPU and heatsink, replaced the PSU with a larger (100W Corsair) one.
I tried a different CPU, another i7 3700, and got the same results.
Am I missing something here?
Thanks.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Well, my manual didn’t have anything specific about flashing the bios.
I did read your link and tried renaming it to “MSI.Rom”, to no avail. I even renamed the usb stick to the name of the flash file, again, to no avail.
At least this time, when I choose the “select the UEFI to flash”, I get a pop up window that shows “FS0: Sandisk Cruzer 7.01”, but when I hit the <enter> key, another message popped up showing “There isn’t any bios in this USB key (root folder) - please copy bios file to this USB key (root folder).

Hmm. Are you using the correct USB socket? I had to use a specific one to flash my old ASRock board. It wouldn't read off anything else.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I followed the directions. First, I unzipped the downloaded to my desktop, then copied that to my USB drive. That didn't work so I copied the one file in that folder to my thumb drive.
That didn't work either.
My thumb drive was freshly formatted (full, not quick format) and had only the one file in it.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I chatted online with a MSI tech this evening. I sent him a picture of my BIOS screen and he stated that it was an old one. Cool, but an old one.
I tried the same things as he suggested which are the same things I’ve mentioned here.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Final update:
Online w/MSI tech again. He informed me that I had to boot into windows, put in the thumb drive, and run the program on the thumb drive. Did that, PC restarted on its own, and now I have a flashing cursor in my upper rich corner of my screen.
I guess it's fried.
Can anyone suggest a good quality 1155 motherboard? I don't want to buy all new components as the PC doesn't get much use.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
1155 ? try to get something newer, and cheap. Whats the budget ? AM4 has some cheap motherboards and CPUs now.

Reactions: Shmee

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Final update:
Online w/MSI tech again. He informed me that I had to boot into windows, put in the thumb drive, and run the program on the thumb drive. Did that, PC restarted on its own, and now I have a flashing cursor in my upper rich corner of my screen.
I guess it's fried.
Can anyone suggest a good quality 1155 motherboard? I don't want to buy all new components as the PC doesn't get much use.
Yikes! Well, if you need a replacement 1155 motherboard, I would go with a good Z77 board. The P67 boards and the like definitely were a bit finicky I have found. Then came Z68, which was a big improvement, and then Z77. Any Z77 board should also support your Ivy Bridge CPU out of the box, and in general they tend to have better BIOS interfaces, and better stability, at least in my experience.

I would look for a used Z77 board for the right price from MSI or Asus. I myself had the MSI Z77 GD65 at one point with a 3770k, and was very happy with it. Later sold it to a friend.

HOWEVER: as Mark mentions, a new build may be a better option, depending on price. I suspect that many of the good 1155 boards will fetch quite the price premium, even used, due to scarcity. Look around at Z77 boards pricing, and then compare to the cost of a B550 + 5600(G) + DDR4.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Z75 would probably work just fine as well. The differences between it and Z77 were minimal. I had one and it was great. My brother still has one going strong, knock on wood.

It's harder to find an old motherboard than CPU do you really just have to search and see what's available at a reasonable price. At this point it may be throwing good money after bad. I'm not sure what your needs are so it's hard to say.