Final Fantasy

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Most certainly final fantasy 6 from that list. If you haven't played any, and you can withstand archaic graphics etc, I'd even recommend getting the first one (Final Fantasy) somewhere else, then playing Final Fantasy 4 somewhere else, then Final Fantasy 6. I've heard some people say that Final Fantasy IX is great but after the seventh (okay) and 8th (terrible, for me) installments I gave up until Final Fantasy X which I also did not enjoy too much. Hands down, in terms of shaping my gaming life, Final Fantasy 6 was the landmark for me as a teenager in terms of this genre. Enjoy it.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
anyone who doesn't say FF7 is the greatest FF of all time is blasphemous. 7 is must play unless you never tend to get emotionally attached to characters in games, then you won't get it.
i also enjoyed 8 back in 2000 i think it was?...9 was meh, and 10 (X, not X2) was awesome in the sense that it was so different than the previous ones but still a true FF game. (the first PS2 exclusive FF, only released to PC not long ago).

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I was going to ask this game - do any of them have extremely good KB/M controls and are worth playing on PC ? Or do all of them pretty much require controllers ?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Basically never played this series. What should I know? Best picks to play if any? There's a sale:

https://store.na.square-enix.com/final-fantasy-30th-anniversary-sale/digital

FF6 and 7 are generally regarded as great, the ones prior being excellent as well (and a good representation of the evolution of RPGs through the 90's). The ones after are hit and miss depending on how much you enjoy RPGs, androgynous and/or whiney characters, and silliness.

I was going to ask this game - do any of them have extremely good KB/M controls and are worth playing on PC ? Or do all of them pretty much require controllers ?

Not really, bear in mind they were all designed for consoles, deeply designed for consoles. You can get by with KB (awkwardly) but there isn't mouse support.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
It sounds like FF IX has the best combo of story and KB/M control. Is this correct ?

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
anyone who doesn't say FF7 is the greatest FF of all time is blasphemous. 7 is must play unless you never tend to get emotionally attached to characters in games, then you won't get it.
i also enjoyed 8 back in 2000 i think it was?...9 was meh, and 10 (X, not X2) was awesome in the sense that it was so different than the previous ones but still a true FF game. (the first PS2 exclusive FF, only released to PC not long ago).
I've started 7 numerous times and each time i quit within an hour. Can't seem to get hooked on it.

I am in the minority, but I really enjoyed 13-2. 13 was pretty good though extremely linear. 13-2 improves every aspect of the game dramatically. i have 13-3 but haven't managed more than a few hours because of how different it is.

4 is a classic.

14 i played over 1000 hours.

I want to try 12 and 15 but no PS4 for me so no play.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Most certainly final fantasy 6 from that list. If you haven't played any, and you can withstand archaic graphics etc, I'd even recommend getting the first one (Final Fantasy) somewhere else, then playing Final Fantasy 4 somewhere else, then Final Fantasy 6. I've heard some people say that Final Fantasy IX is great but after the seventh (okay) and 8th (terrible, for me) installments I gave up until Final Fantasy X which I also did not enjoy too much. Hands down, in terms of shaping my gaming life, Final Fantasy 6 was the landmark for me as a teenager in terms of this genre. Enjoy it.

Crap they don't have FF IV for sale, only a sequel to it. And the version of FF VI they're selling doesn't have original graphics, although the art style looks the same. Still I thought that game was perfect on the SNES (which is called Final Fantasy III for anyone who doesn't know; the epic Final Fantasy IV also released on SNES as Final Fantasy II).

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I've started 7 numerous times and each time i quit within an hour. Can't seem to get hooked on it.

Same with me. I've tried playing it every few years since it came out and I can never get off the first disk..just can't get into it.

FF3(6) and FF2(4) are my fav's. I am almost done with X finally...not my favorite by any stretch.

Last edited:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
My favorite is 6, followed by 5. Thanks for letting us know about the sale OP as I wanted the X remake.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
7 for sure is a must play, best in the series for sure. Ive probably spent well over 1000 hours on it over the years in dozens of play throughs.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Those digital versions are hit and miss. In my mind Final Fantasy VI is the best video game ever made. That new digital version looks like a mess, but I understand that it's hard to play the original SNES version. If you get the chance, definitely get the original.

As far as ranking the games that I've played:

1) FF6 (FF3 in the US) - Work of art
2) FF7 - Work of art
3) ChronoTrigger (not Final Fantasy, but very similar) - Work of art
4) FF4 (FF2 in the US) - Excellent
5) FF5 - Excellent
6) FF9 - Very good
7) FF10 - Good
8) FF1 - Rough, but of historical interest
9) FF8 - Bleh
10) FF3 - Bleh

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I played:
Final Fantasy
FF4 (FF2 in the US)
FF6 (FF3 in the US)
FF7
FF8
FF9
FFX

Never finished 9 or X. I lost interest in the series with those games, especially X.

1, 4, 6, 7 were great. I really loved 1.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Without nostalgia glasses the ultra-low-polygon 3D for the out-of-combat graphics is eye-searingly bad in FF 7. They wisely went back to 2D sprites for IX, the last PS1 game.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Agreed 100% about the ultra low polygon count on FF7. It would have aged MUCH better with using 2D sprites. I mean, at the time, it was an amazing looking game as the merging of the 2D backgrounds/foregrounds with the 3D characters looked incredible compared to what was available at the time (most 3D games had extremely limited backgrounds due to attempting to build everything in full 3D, while digital 2D images were so good).

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
I'd second the Chrono Trigger mention. While we're at it, and mentioning Playstation games - Xenogears was (for me) a masterpiece but I know it's controversial in some corners, especially for those who didn't like all the text or the second disc.

I played the original final fantasy on the Nintendo when I was 8 years old or so. I didn't understand the equipment system and I beat the game basically wearing steel armor and really, really struggling. When I played it over a decade later, again, I found it much easier! It was a fantastic game and I can still remember the music during fights etc.

Meteo!

Reactions: poofyhairguy

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Steam has the same sale going on atm but they have FF4 there. That version of 4 is really solid. It's a port of the ds version and was handled well, 5 also. The port of 6 for pc isn't the best and if able you might want to find a different way to play it, like say on the wii u etc. If you like rpg's and have never played 4 and 6 I highly recommend it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I only go by the numbers used in the states, so this is my ranking:

FF2 > FF 3 > FF 7 > FF 9

FF 10 is OK (battle system was fantastic) but the story was trite and ridiculous. There were some pretty cool characters, but savagely ruined by the obnoxious protagonist.

I basically played them on release ever since FF1 (which was also quite amazing, but maybe not so great today--I tried to grind through it on emulator some years ago, and it wasn't worth it). The games that made it to the US, that is.

I think I played 12 or whatever the non-MMO was after FF X. Ruined the battle system, so garbage. That was the last one I played.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011

FF2 > FF 3 > FF 7 > FF 9

FF 10 is OK (battle system was fantastic) but the story was trite and ridiculous. There were some pretty cool characters, but savagely ruined by the obnoxious protagonist.

I basically played them on release ever since FF1 (which was also quite amazing, but maybe not so great today--I tried to grind through it on emulator some years ago, and it wasn't worth it). The games that made it to the US, that is.

I think I played 12 or whatever the non-MMO was after FF X. Ruined the battle system, so garbage. That was the last one I played.
That would be my ranking as well, mainly due to nostalgia. FF5 should probably be 5th on that list as well. Honestly (japanese numbering) 4 through 9 are all great games with 8 being the low point story wise. 10's story conclusion left a really bad taste in my mouth. As for 12, it does have an odd combat system but the story is great.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
ff7 is the last non-mmo of the series that i bought,i'm in the very small minority that hated it i think

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That would be my ranking as well, mainly due to nostalgia. FF5 should probably be 5th on that list as well. Honestly (japanese numbering) 4 through 9 are all great games with 8 being the low point story wise. 10's story conclusion left a really bad taste in my mouth. As for 12, it does have an odd combat system but the story is great.

I honestly enjoyed the 12 story, what I played of it, but the combat system killed it for me and that game got really grindy--I think they were trying to inject their Asian MMO-style sepuku through grinding mechanics into a single player game, which was bad. I mean, you didn't have to collect all that junk to get whatever weapons, but you know you are going to.

FF8 probably should have never been made :D

FF2 remains my favorite over 3 probably because it was just so different from all of those jRPGs before it. FF3 was more of that, different, better in some ways but I wouldn't say overall better. Some would argue that freedom to design your favorite parties is a feature, but I always felt it was more burdensome. The rotating in and out of your party members in FF2 was always tied to the plot, and you didn't know what was going to happen. Man, I know I was young and all, but that bit in the dwarf castle where you're getting wrecked and then suddenly that chick returns from nowhere with all of her new pets and proceeds to kick ass. I'd say that was one of my favorite video game moments, probably tops, so it's moments like that which always seem to keep FF2 at the top of the heap for me. FF3 was great for environments, character mechanics and the story was also great, but it never had those big punchy moments like FF2.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
I honestly enjoyed the 12 story, what I played of it, but the combat system killed it for me and that game got really grindy--I think they were trying to inject their Asian MMO-style sepuku through grinding mechanics into a single player game, which was bad. I mean, you didn't have to collect all that junk to get whatever weapons, but you know you are going to.

FF8 probably should have never been made :D

FF2 remains my favorite over 3 probably because it was just so different from all of those jRPGs before it. FF3 was more of that, different, better in some ways but I wouldn't say overall better. Some would argue that freedom to design your favorite parties is a feature, but I always felt it was more burdensome. The rotating in and out of your party members in FF2 was always tied to the plot, and you didn't know what was going to happen. Man, I know I was young and all, but that bit in the dwarf castle where you're getting wrecked and then suddenly that chick returns from nowhere with all of her new pets and proceeds to kick ass. I'd say that was one of my favorite video game moments, probably tops, so it's moments like that which always seem to keep FF2 at the top of the heap for me. FF3 was great for environments, character mechanics and the story was also great, but it never had those big punchy moments like FF2.
Agreed. 2/4 was just at that perfect moment in childhood where everything lined up for it. I also preferred the story and characters in 2/4 as well over 3/6. Both had these massive overarching save the world plots but the constant shifting of characters in 3/6 never allowed them to grow thus never developing that level of attachment from 2/4 outside of a select few.
Cecil at Mount Ordeals where he meets his father. Kain and his inner turmoil. The Cecil/Kain/Rosa relationship. Yang's sacrifice and then finding him in the sylph cave and needing the frying pan. Tellah's hatred and his sacrifice. Edward, Palom, Porom, and Fusoya's sacrifice. Edge and his parents. Poor Rydia. Those damn dolls in the dwarven castle. They made those dolls into a boss fight in 14 and it's great. The opening theme music. Baron's true king. The list goes on and on. The game's story is simply one of the best ever.[SPOILER/]

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
The port of VI is garbage. They should not get any money for that.

I prefer IV anyway, and the port is actually good. The X and X-2 is a good deal, and the games are fun. X-2's combat is a lot faster paced, and the game has a different vibe to it.

The port of IX is decent, and I'd recommend that as well.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
zinfamous said:

FF2 > FF 3 > FF 7 > FF 9

Don't think I could have put it better myself, and for almost the exact same reasons. The battle system has been ruined in the last few games. I get that they have been trying to take the "grind" out of things, and agree that it makes sense to do so, but I mean, really, no random fights? Monsters that don't respawn (so that you simply can't gain levels)? Real-time based combat (not horrible, but can't control what allies/companions do!!!)? They have simply gone downhill lately to the point that I gave up on the newer games after 10 (X). I tried X-2, but just couldn't get into it at all. I can't stand the combat system in 12 (agreed that it is total garbage, and I really wanted to like that game, but I couldn't get past how horrible the combat was to play more than 30 minutes...).

I mean, really, ever since the Square + Enix merger, this series has gone to crap...

Last edited: