Final Fantasy XV PC Discussion.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Please use this thread for all future discussions for Final Fantasy XV PC.

ALL SPOILERS MUST BE POSTED USING SPOILER TAGS

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
So the game launched today i believe.
Steam download is a whooping 75gb... for the 4k version i hear its 155GB..

Good Lord.... looks like SSD's soon wont be advisable for a PC gaming system, and we'll need to go back to at least 8TB spinners.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I don't follow this franchise at all but it does look interesting. I doubt that I'll buy it but it seems like the majority of PC players are at least happy with how it's running on their machines. Recommended specs are also very conservative.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I've been messing with the demo a bit, and the pros are it is very well done for a console port (or rebuild supposedly). The con is...I find it boring and I don't really enjoy the combat.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I played around in the demo and it has some nice looking areas. As far as the story the southern accent girl with the way she talks she knocks me out.. from the Beach Boys song.

I'm DLing the full game now and it seems to have erased the demo files? Maybe that's temporary during this DL and the demo will be in full swing after main game is in.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Demo is not transferable to the full game. You lose all progress and start over.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Demo is not transferable to the full game. You lose all progress and start over.

Relating to that... I read an interesting article that talked about how the game has Denuvo, but it was "cracked" using the demo's executable. Apparently, the demo's executable will work with the game's data apart from the DLC.

EDIT:

Good Lord.... looks like SSD's soon wont be advisable for a PC gaming system, and we'll need to go back to at least 8TB spinners.

And for anyone wondering how you actually get the High Resolution Textures, you go to the game in your Library. In the large pane on the right, there should be a DLC table that lists the textures. Check the "Installed" check box, and it will start downloading the textures. Just keep in mind that the textures are a hefty 63GB download, which is almost as big as the rest of the game (~73GB).

Oh, and I keep the game on my SSD. I use a 1TB Crucial m.2 SSD. It's significantly cheaper than Samsung's offerings, but it also runs hotter... a lot hotter. In fact, without proper ventilation or heatsinks, it will thermal throttle during a lot of transfers. Its max temperature is 70C and it never gets over 63C (90% of tjMAX). My case (Thermaltake Core X9) wasn't exactly built for airflow, so I've had problems with the drive when installing large games. At one point, I just set a 120mm fan on the HDD drive cage and pointed it at the m.2 drives (they're both near the bottom on my ASRock board).

Last edited:

Andro Boy

Feb 4, 2017
I'm still on a C2Q machine with 8 GB DDR2 and a 1050 Ti, and judging from some Youtube vids, people with similar machines are able to run it on Medium with a stable 30-35 FPS, so I should be okay.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I'm on a 2500k@4.2 and a 290x and it runs pretty stable at pretty high settings at 45-50fps - granted, it's the demo, not the full game. I don't know if the demo uses HD textures or not, but it looks really good as it is.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The only thing I know about this game is the bit they did on Conan's Clueless Gamer sketch. ...does it really take a real-life 48 or so hours to finish that early boss battle? Sounds like ridiculous cheap mobile or MMO time-gated nonsense.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Or you could setup an 8TB SSD array.