Final Fantasy XV gameplay trailler

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I'm interested, but after 13 I'll be waiting for the reviews. 13 was a complete disappointment.

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
I'm interested, but after 13 I'll be waiting for the reviews. 13 was a complete disappointment.

i think, what makes ff 13 is horrible because it was to linear can't explorer, just endless corridor and the story is not as strong as FF 10.

bust since this FF heavily emphasis on exploring, and journey. i think it was major improvement already, especially it have GTA vibe in it.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Those trailers just leave me confused. It's like they want to hold onto the art direction of past FF games, but throw in a bunch of real life objects like combustion engine cars. Having a hard time grasping ride around a Chocobo and a car that looks like a Lincoln.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
bust since this FF heavily emphasis on exploring, and journey. i think it was major improvement already, especially it have GTA vibe in it.

Why in the world would I want a GTA vibe when I'm trying to play a Final Fantasy game!? I played Episode Duscae, and I really did not care for having to run around everywhere. I talked about it in earlier threads, but it felt like the majority of the game's length was going to be spent running around large expanses. In prior games, this wouldn't take long given the easy traversal of the world map, but in this game, it takes forever.

Don't even get me started on the change in the combat. Why is it that turn-based fans have no options now? If you really want an action game, go play Kingdom Hearts! The only way to get an old-time feel would be to play the Bravely series, and Bravely Default was so bad that I quit after Act III.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Why in the world would I want a GTA vibe when I'm trying to play a Final Fantasy game!?

Or a Metal Gear Solid game. I can't wait for the open world fad to die off, hopefully the limits of VR will turn back the clock for a couple of years and we will go back to rails for a while.

Why is it that turn-based fans have no options now?

I have been getting my fix on the Hyperdimension Neptunia remakes.

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
Why in the world would I want a GTA vibe when I'm trying to play a Final Fantasy game!? I played Episode Duscae, and I really did not care for having to run around everywhere. I talked about it in earlier threads, but it felt like the majority of the game's length was going to be spent running around large expanses. In prior games, this wouldn't take long given the easy traversal of the world map, but in this game, it takes forever.

Don't even get me started on the change in the combat. Why is it that turn-based fans have no options now? If you really want an action game, go play Kingdom Hearts! The only way to get an old-time feel would be to play the Bravely series, and Bravely Default was so bad that I quit after Act III.

with rich environment like in the trailer its beg for open world gameplay, u know, u can just explorer and being immersive to the lore, heck that trailer before this showing natgeo aspect of wildlife. and the car can turn into airship so traveling will be quite easy, and the theme is about family and journey, so open world is a must.

yeah to be honest I'm really miss turn based game play in FF, that was one of the aspect I'm in love with the series, but if this FFXV can deliver good story, lore and immersive open world where the animal can act naturally, then im just gonna pre order it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
with rich environment like in the trailer its beg for open world gameplay, u know, u can just explorer and being immersive to the lore, heck that trailer before this showing natgeo aspect of wildlife. and the car can turn into airship so traveling will be quite easy, and the theme is about family and journey, so open world is a must.

yeah to be honest I'm really miss turn based game play in FF, that was one of the aspect I'm in love with the series, but if this FFXV can deliver good story, lore and immersive open world where the animal can act naturally, then im just gonna pre order it.

The problem is that when I played Episode Duscae, I didn't get the feeling that it was a Final Fantasy game. Well, I guess that's sort of not true. It actually felt A LOT like a MMO. So, I guess you could say that it's like Final Fantasy XIV. The game literally has quests, a map with waypoints, and in-world combat.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
This shows this is clearly not the game for me, guess my FF days are over. The twitchiness and button smashing are strong in this game.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
But that Platinum demo though. Don't know if anyone else tried it, but not hype at all after playing that.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
I haven't been excited about FF in forever.. I think FF9 is the last one I really enjoyed and I didn't really like FF8 that much either. FF10 was just alright. Then it lost momentum with an MMO in the main numbered series and what I played of FF12 felt like an offline MMO. FF13 was pretty much universally panned and FF14 was once more another MMO.

This at least looks interesting, but I don't have a PS4 or XBOne and I'm sure I won't be buying one just for this. And does EVERYTHING need to be an action RPG these days?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Final Fantasy 3/6 was probably the greatest JRPG ever made.....I guess your tastes in gaming have changed in 20 years?

For me, I think part of it comes down to my personality. Honestly, I'm one of those people that doesn't usually adventure much outside of my comfort zone. I know what I like, and I want that. It's like that person that goes to a restaurant and always orders the same thing. So, consequently, I'm fine with the old tried and true turn-based format.

Sadly enough, the last JRPG that I really enjoyed was Blue Dragon, which is pretty sad to say given that it came out in 2007. (Yes, I realize that the story wasn't that good, but the mechanics were great.) I did play Bravely Default, but I thought the game was just really bad. Apart from the Red Mage, all classes were a joke to find, and the story just kept going off the rails. I just couldn't stand that bit at the end of Act III where you have to go and give this orphaned kid to the lonely dude who lost his son.

This at least looks interesting, but I don't have a PS4 or XBOne and I'm sure I won't be buying one just for this. And does EVERYTHING need to be an action RPG these days?

Apparently, the belief is that turn-based games aren't acceptable enough that they'll generate enough profit. The problem there is that Square-Enix has spent so much flippin' money on this game that I wonder how they'll ever manage to reach an acceptable profit! I'm sure we all remember the awkward remarks about Tomb Raider's profitability.

I think Square-Enix just needs to stop being so obsessed over graphics. The aforementioned Blue Dragon actually still looks really good despite it being nearly nine years old (early 360 title), and it just uses a cartoon-y style (similar to Dragon Quest).

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I prefer FFIV for the crown of best FF ever.

Have never beat VI (always stagnate at world of ruin), have never beat IX (get bored somewhere in disc 2). I have beat III, IV, VII, VIII, X, and XIII. Maybe if I beat VI, my opinion will change, but the fact that I've tried and lost motivation to beat it where I had no problems getting through IV will still have IV on top for me.

Actually playing VI now, hoping to finish it this time.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
After the utter mess that was the "FF XIII saga" it's going to be taking a lot more than nifty trailers and bought and paid for reviews from the big review sites to actually get me interested.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
So maybe grab the demo and form your own opinion? Acting all cautious/pretentious is absolutely pointless when there's a way for you to get a feel for the game right now.

Or watch a Let's Play of the demo? Your obvious lack of self-informing isn't going to get you anywhere.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Actually everyones thoughts on it are probably spot on. We already know the direction they are going. For example I really wanted X (Wii U), but look where that went? It's an MMO without the MMO with barely any story. (Yes, I realize it's a different company, but it was the other major recent RPG that wasn't really an RPG).

FF13 was a joke, and they made 3 friggin games out of it. They just aren't the company they used to be, so of course we are mostly cautious and pessimistic.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Have you played the demo?

My beef isn't that you should or shouldn't be. It's how are you still. There is a demo. Play it. Form your opinion instead of wringing your hands.

People are complaining about a dearth of demos, you can't form your own opinions until launch, etc. Here is a big game with a demo, and people aren't going out and forming their own opinions? Do you never want demos again? Because this is how you never get demos again.

If you've played the demo and still want to be pessimistic, at least you'd have some backing experience as opposed to just parroting tired lines. I hated XIII, too. However, XIV got itself turned right around, and XV and XII both share long development cycles. XII largely turned out fine.

I don't have a current-gen console to try the demo out on. Otherwise I'd be weighing in on what I thought of it. If people are weighing in without having played the readily available demo, that's just dumb.

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
i think FF is all about story and adventure, a role playing games about ordinary dude that dragged to save the world from destruction or Armageddon, that is the essence of final fantasy that i played from 4 to 13, and the battle mechanic is always changing sure it always turn based strategy in its core even in 13, and its only change to action rpg in 15 (not counting MMO) so i gues everyone in fandom just try it the demo and read the review, and beside that SE can't please everyone else and someone, somewhere will find their beloved FF series, just like me with FF 6 and 7, despite everyone said it was overrated.

and for me, story is always number one, don't care about battle mechanic, so if the story is good, and the world of it is interesting then i don't give a damm about how i battle monster, but if gameplay is solid then it was plus.