Final Fantasy XIV online!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EvilKupo

Jan 13, 2010
OK so just finished building and setting up my friends computer, his specs are:

AMD 1090T X6 @ 3.2Ghz
ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
4GB Ram
Win 7 Home

His scores are:

High - 3811
Low - 4473

A little lower than I expected, but still looking good for playing it. It had almost no stutter on High and the line never went below 3/4 except for a few spikes.

nanobreath

May 14, 2008
I went and downloaded the official benchmark off the site.

My setup is:
AMD X6 1055T @ 2.8GHz
4GB RAM
NV 9800GT 512MB
Win7 Pro x64

My score was about 2600 at 720, about 1400 at 1080. Looks like a video upgrade is in order.

Don't upgrade based on a benchmark. This game is made to run on the PS3, how can it not run on hardware that's more recent than the PS3. What really worries me about the benchmark is that my results were 100% repeatable, as in I got the same exact score 3 times in a row. There are too many variables in computers to have it perfect every time. Which screams fake numbers to me.

hellfire88

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2003
So anyone who got in the Beta (or just simply knows more about the game from reading) can you tell me if there's a class/discipline in FFXIV like the RDM of FFXI? That's still my favorite class of all time out of all the MMOs I've played (WoW, Guild Wars, Aion, SilkRoad, some others). Don't worry about it if it'll violate the NDA, don't want to get you in trouble lol.

I just built the budget gamer PC in my sig a few weeks back for Starcraft 2 and FFXIV. The video card in there now is just temporary but I'll run the benchmark tonight to see what I get. I'll probably get an ATI 5850 in September for FFXIV so hopefully by then prices have dropped some to around $180-$200.

Mana

Jul 3, 2007
The fight system seems to be similar to FFXIII (but slower, to be more like an MMO). WoW is in no way a fast battle system...it's just repetitive, which makes it feel fast because of Auto-attack. I've played the majority of known and many many less known MMO's and, although WoW has a good battle system, it's not nearly as fast as some out there.

As for how much changes they can do in 2 months....I used to work for EA and Sega and you'd be surprised the difference that can be done in 2 months. To put it into perspective, they have come out and said that the current beta build is only 10% of the content that will be released with the game. That and also for anyone who played Battlefield 2, a month before release, I thought the game would never pass CQC and we'd have to push back release. Turns out it went Gold and came out on time and was on top of the charts for the majority of that year (I think it got PC FPS of the year, if not PC game of the year) so expect a lot to change, especially in the last three weeks.

Remember, they have a large team working around the clock on it that has access to all the content and direct contact with the dev's. For this big of a game, I'd say the team would have to be well over the 150 people mark (might not seem like much, but working 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week, that's a lot of man hours) That's the team that will have most influence. I'm sure they have builds that won't be seen by the public (not only ones in between the ones that are released, but also ones that won't be seen by the public until release)

The problem is, FFXIV's user interface needs a complete overhaul, Battlefield: BC2's UI didn't. Right now we've got a situation where:

-Many actions take 3-4 clicks deep into a menu, and in some cases you're experiencing 2-3 second delay between clicking and the menu popping up
-Keyboard and mouse controls are completely out of wack
-Last I checked you can't even do things like press "J" and bring up the quest journal.
-You can't compare two items at once, even while shopping. So what ends up happening is that you pull up one item, memorize the stats, then pull up another item and hope you can remember the stats so that you can tell which one is better.

There's more, but yeah. Really though, the fatal flaw of FFXIV will be that they're trying to stick a console/non-PC standard UI onto a PC standard game. Most people aren't going to like that and will end up not playing because of it. As someone who has studied human-computer interaction, and I will tell you straight up that if they release this game with a UI remotely resembling the current one, the game will not be more successful than FFXI. To explain the reasons for this, I'll post what I've said elsewhere on the topic:

In general, trying to reinvent the wheel with regards to user interfaces is a bad idea unless you have a captive audience (Microsoft and Apple). Even when you have a captive audience there is still a lot of pain associated with changing the interface from what users expect, even if said interface is "better". Witness the transition from Microsoft Office 2003 to Microsoft Office 2007 for what I mean.

Why is trying to reinvent the wheel a bad idea? It's because learning new things is hard. The reasons for this boil down to the fact that your activities can be broken down into roughly four levels of automation, each requiring a different amount of concentration and practice to get to. These levels are:

1) Problem solving - You're trying to do something that you don't do often or is new, this takes the most concentration. You can do at most 2 of these tasks at the same time.
2) Procedures - You're past the problem solving stage, so an action is somewhat automated, but you still have to recall it to do it. For example, when you lose your balance you recall the needed actions to regain your balance.
3) Rules - These are mostly subconscious, you can do many of them at once and it's automatic. For example, when a traffic light turns yellow your muscles tense up on the breaks.
4) Operational - Completely automated and take no concentration, these things like walking, breathing, how to move your arm when eating such that you put your fork into your mouth.

Do you see what the problem is with FFXIV's user interface? To play the game most users will be forced into the problem solving stage with regards to the controls. They won't be able to use their familiarity with other user interfaces to help them learn this user interface and thus most of a their concentration is going to be spent dealing with the controls and learning the user interface rather than dealing with the game itself. In general people don't like spending their time learning controls rather instead of playing the game. As such, their first impression of the game will be that of them struggling with the controls, not experiencing the game, which will cause most people to quit.

Also, no I am not a beta tester and not bound by the NDA, but I have watched people play and listened to them regarding the issues.

hellfire88

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2003
Yea I hear ya bout the controls. From what I gather the menu system is kinda like FFXI (and much of the single player FF's) where theres like a list of like:

Attack
Magic -> [Another list of spells]
Skills -> [Another list of skills]

instead of the usual hotkey bars for MMOs. This is why for FFXI even though I played it on PC I used a Logitech gamepad.

nanobreath

May 14, 2008
FFXI had an atrocious UI as well. Everything was in menus, though you had a few hotkeys you could assign. The learning curve on the controls was very steep. The game was not made to play with a mouse AT ALL. When I played ffxi I never touched the mouse. This is a side-effect of making a game for consoles, and as such I expect FFXIV to share a lot of similar attributes.

Now even though the controls were different, I learned them, and had after a few weeks, had absolutely zero problems navigating in game. You learn shortcuts, and key sequences to use things which is honestly in quite a few cases is faster than using a mouse in a GUI interface.

I would really like to be able to play the beta to see how exactly everything works. Haven't pre-ordered yet, and am waiting on some more reviews on the game play before I do. FFXI was my first MMO, and I just can't help wanting to play FFXIV.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I didn't even bother with a mouse. I played with a PS2 controller and it was just amazing and completely intuitive. The UI was amazing if you were using a controller. You could do skillchains and all of that very easily with the controller. The only thing you needed the keyboard for was to chat.

hellfire88

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2003
Yea FFXI was my first MMO too :). I hear ya about learning the menu UI and after awhile it became 2nd nature to me. Like not having to look at the screen and just pressing on my gamepad "down -> right -> down - down -> execute button" to cast Dia or something. Also the macro system was pretty wild too I had like some crazy macros going like 1 button to swap to dark staff +1 (neptune staff or whatever) + cast gravity and then swap back to another staff. Or 1button macro for Chainspell + phalanx + warp (the original bubble hearth! lol)

Entity23

Jan 30, 2001
I dunno, I kind of like the FFXI menu and macro system. Sometimes it can be a bit clumsy. I really like being able to command line actions.

Sahakiel

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2001
Don't upgrade based on a benchmark. This game is made to run on the PS3, how can it not run on hardware that's more recent than the PS3. What really worries me about the benchmark is that my results were 100% repeatable, as in I got the same exact score 3 times in a row. There are too many variables in computers to have it perfect every time. Which screams fake numbers to me.

Well, the PS3 was designed with extremely high end specifications for its time. Even midrange systems took a few years to catch up.
Also, because the hardware is static and the firmware close to it, coding is easier to streamline once all the tools are in place. This long after introduction, I would hope the tools are at that point already.
However, with Square, they're probably using their cross-platform sdk, which makes cross-platform comparisons moot. Whether or not the hardware is capable won't matter if the tools are still inefficient.

As for the benchmark, my personal view is that it's simply counting framerates, but not one to one. It's probably simply summing average rates at fixed time samples. The only factor that really affects the so-called benchmark significantly would be the choice of avatar.

The comparison between the 4850 and my 9800gt score fit a linear curve based on video capability. Both processors are pretty close since I doubt the game will take advantage of more than two threads. Unfortunately, the later comparison to the 5850 does not fit so easily, so the exact dependencies for the game are still a bit unclear, especially considering the game still has a lot of development time.

Either way, the fact remains my system is struggling just to run the benchmark. The 2k-ish range seems to be the "playable" cutoff. Below that, you can really notice stutters as it plays.
Since the 4850 system provides noticeably better results with all other factors being similar, the short term conclusion is that the video card is currently the bottleneck. A 4850 is currently somewhat cheaper upgrade, so odds are a current midrange card will more than suffice. In fact, the 5850 results, while skewed with a faster cpu clock, show that a video card of that caliber along with overclocking (I can get 3.5 out of my chip with almost no effort) will be well within the playable range with plenty of room to spare or maybe turn on some more eye candy.
In order to actually have decent framerate at a playable resolution, it seems the first order of business is to keep an eye out for good deals on a new video card. How much of an upgrade is the minimum and whether other parts may need an upgrade will depend on how the game matures before release.

hellfire88

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2003
agreed so hopefully those of us with Core 2 Duo/Quad E8xxx/Qxxx or Phenom II X2/X4 are OK in the CPU department. For video cards I'm looking to find a good deal for a sub $200 card so perhaps an ATI HD 5770 ($135-ish on sales)/5830 ($180-ish on sales) or nVidia GTX 460 ($180-ish on sales for 768MB version). Alternatively you can find last-gen cards like ATI 4870/4890 or nVidia GTX260/275 for around the same prices.

Entity23

Jan 30, 2001
Do you all think that a GTX 260 is a bit dated for the game? I a bit out of the loop as far as hardware has come.

Shilohen

Jul 29, 2009
Check the recommended specifications, I posted them in the previous page. The recommended GPU is a GTX460 768MB, so I'd say the GTX260 won't be stellar, but should work.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Do you all think that a GTX 260 is a bit dated for the game? I a bit out of the loop as far as hardware has come.

Minimum Specs:
Operating System Windows XP 32-bit SP3 Windows Vista 32-bit/ 64-bit SP2 Windows 7 32-bit / 64-bit
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo (2.0 GHz) | AMD Athlon X2 (2.0 GHz)
RAM Windows XP: 1.5GB or Higher | Windows Vista / 7: 2GB or Higher
HDD/SSD Installation: 15 GB or more
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 9600 Series or Higher with VRAM 512MB or Higher | ATI Radeon HD 2900 Series or Higher with VRAM 512MB or Higher

Recommended Specs :eek: :
OS Windows® 7 32bit / 64bit *
Processor Intel® Core™ i7 (2.66GHz) or faster
Memory 4GB or more
Storage Install: 15GB or more
Video NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460 with 768MB VRAM or equivalent

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
I want call bull on GTX460 as recommended card, the card is barely a few weeks old!.

The game requires a fairly good system.

Try the benchmark:
http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/media/benchmark/na/

Scoring:
[8000 and over] Extremely High Performance
Easily capable of running the game on the highest settings.
[5500–7999] Very High Performance
Easily capable of running the game. Should perform exceptionally well, even at higher resolutions.
[4500-5499] High Performance
Easily capable of running the game. Should perform well, even at higher resolutions.
[3000-4499] Fairly High Performance
Capable of running the game on default settings. Consider switching to a higher resolution depending on performance.
[2500-2999] Standard Performance
Capable of running the game on default settings.
[2000-2499] Slightly Low Performance
Capable of running the game, but may experience some slowdown. Adjust settings to improve performance.
[1500-1999] Low Performance
Capable of running the game, but will experience considerable slowdown. Adjusting settings is unlikely to improve performance.
[Under 1500] Insufficient Performance
Does not meet specifications for running the game.

A 460 wont even score 2700 at 1080p.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AimI6xhXN4XXdF9xQWRTTWlSWFZmWkRSTHFkR05zNEE&hl=en#gid=0

Also, here is where I got the specs:
http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/media/recom/na/pc.html

The funny thing is that the 5770 scores close to a GTX460 and this is a TWIMTBP game.

Last edited:

Xellos2099

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2005
I know the game need a good system, I myself have a Phenom II X4 940 and a GTX275. I will wait till the game come out and try it for myself before deciding on getting new upgrade.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Just scored 5091 on my i7 in sig. Performance should be fine. When I started FF11 it ran like crap on my ti4200 lol

heat901

Dec 17, 2009
I think I got an email last night from them saying something about new classes or jobs or something like that? Any information on it?

Shilohen

Jul 29, 2009
They are new gathering and crafting jobs, you can check the official site for information. I expect the more interesting new job to show up with either PS3 release or 1 year anniversary or first expansion. Since the jobs work with weapons, you have to list missing weapons and try to guess the job associated to it. So far, unused weapons are:
- Great sword (Dark knight?)
- Scythe (no clue)
- Whip (Summoner?)
- Gun (I think it's still unused)
- War hammer (Templar or something?)
- Mace

So much speculation possible.