• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question filter material for custom fan filters

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
My experience with Polaris would suggest to keep the undervolt, and ditch the OC. The card will offer better performance at stock clocks with the undervolt (especially if you can get away with a 100mV undervolt). The OC is not going to give you much of a boost over that because power limits get hit.
From some benchmarking I have been doing it doesn't appear to be more than a few frames. I got 1.5fps in 3DMark and around 300 more points total for the GPU score. I am not hitting the power limit though as I raised it, and the clock never drops. But, maybe it just isn't worth OC'ing it. If only GPU prices would come back down. I bought this RX570 at the end of 2019 for around $100 new. Planed to have replaced it by now.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Passive holes can allow the air out of the case before it should be. You want the air to pass through your components. Not escape the case before it does.
Passive holes also cause short loops where the fan adjacent, just sucks air in right next to it so the air only travels a few inches.

Previously CU reported that air was still exiting the passive holes which was a bit of a head scratcher until I realized it must be that not only is the front filter not much of an impedance but also, the front fans are moving more air than necessary instead of letting the rear take up some of the load, especially considering that due to normal system placement, more noise tends to make it from the front fans to the user's ears than the rear fans.

Redundancy can be good though, as long as the noise is tolerable such a setup could probably allow the system to keep being used (perhaps not as much high load gaming/etc) even if any one of the fans failed, until there's a chance to replace it.

Up to (meaning CU), I optimize for low noise and minimum dust ingress, and in that case (pun intended) passive holes have no useful purpose. Getting rid of them can make a system quieter if you don't sweat a couple degrees temp difference one way or the other, which can depend on overall case fitness and how far you're mad overclocking... without a front rack full of HDDs, the sys config might work without any front case fans at all, as long as all passive holes are covered, but again as mentioned above, redundancy can be good.

Reactions: Stuka87

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
From some benchmarking I have been doing it doesn't appear to be more than a few frames. I got 1.5fps in 3DMark and around 300 more points total for the GPU score. I am not hitting the power limit though as I raised it, and the clock never drops. But, maybe it just isn't worth OC'ing it. If only GPU prices would come back down. I bought this RX570 at the end of 2019 for around $100 new. Planed to have replaced it by now.
Yeah, we all hope for lower prices. One day... maybe.

ASK THE COMMUNITY