filibuster!

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
No it's still going, Ted Cruz just stepped into to help. Basically the more pro Libertarian leaning conservatives are trying their hand.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
I don't agree with all of Rand Paul but I can say I respect him for at least making the filibuster a REAL filibuster.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
A most novel approach at political grandstanding, this thing about filibustering Obama's political appointments. I can't wait for him to filibuster Obama's next choice for White House chef.

To think that some day a father or mother will point out this incident to their child from a political joke book. lol

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Good for Rand Paul. There needs to be more filibusters against obama

I agree with the filibuster and the right kind where you stand and hold up the legislation. That being said, where were all the Republicans when some of these provisions sprang up after 9/11?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't agree with all of Rand Paul but I can say I respect him for at least making the filibuster a REAL filibuster.

this. And he actually had something relevant to say, for the most part. ...unlike Strom Thurmond.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
By incident you mean the obummer presidency? Sadly, the joke is on the voters.

lol. But thanks for allowing me to add that I do enjoy and appreciate seeing Paul excersizing his rights in traditional fashion......for all the wrong reasons though.

I hope he has set an example and precedent for the rest of his fellow Repub Senate members the next time they decide to obstruct.....I meant to say filibuster their own legislation like McConnell recently did, which, of course, is already in some political joke book. ;)

I mean, can you just imagine McConnell standing at the podium for hours and hours railing against his own legislation? That is some priceless shit right there.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Too bad all fillibusters weren't like this instead of the no effort ones the GOP pulls on an almost daily basis.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
lol. But thanks for allowing me to add that I do enjoy and appreciate seeing Paul excersizing his rights in traditional fashion......for all the wrong reasons though.

I hope he has set an example and precedent for the rest of his fellow Repub Senate members the next time they decide to obstruct.....I meant to say filibuster their own legislation like McConnell recently did, which, of course, is already in some political joke book. ;)

I mean, can you just imagine McConnell standing at the podium for hours and hours railing against his own legislation? That is some priceless shit right there.

Some people are perfectly fine with open ended attacks on American citizens on US soil determined by an unaccountable President for purposes he alone defines as acceptable. Some of us are not.

Of course people demanded we do away with the fillibuster because it no longer is warranted. This sort of thing would never happen and you must be a good little citizen and obey.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

under the new filibuster rules a real filibuster is the only way to filibuster appointments

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Some people are perfectly fine with open ended attacks on American citizens on US soil determined by an unaccountable President for purposes he alone defines as acceptable. Some of us are not.

Of course people demanded we do away with the fillibuster because it no longer is warranted. This sort of thing would never happen and you must be a good little citizen and obey.

What people think you should do away with the filibuster. Nice straw man argument.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
under the new filibuster rules a real filibuster is the only way to filibuster appointments

Then how did they hold up Hagell with only a hold filibuster not a talking filibuster?

"Despite the committee’s February 12 14-to-11 vote to approve Hagel, committee member James Inhofe vowed to use procedural tactics to delay a full Senate confirmation vote. Inhofe told the National Review “Each day that goes by will make it more difficult for Democrats who say they are pro-Israel to hold out.” On February 14 Republicans refused to close debate on Hagel's nomination, which would require 60 votes, even though the nomination was assured the simple majority of votes needed to pass.

Senate Republicans successfully filibustered his nomination after a cloture vote failed 58-40 with one present and one not voting. This filibuster marks the first time a cabinet nominee was successfully filibustered."

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I agree with the filibuster and the right kind where you stand and hold up the legislation. That being said, where were all the Republicans when some of these provisions sprang up after 9/11?

If you want moderate Republicans, then they will support big gov Neocons in lockstep. The Bush legacy is what happens when you give them control. Men like the Pauls are the few who stand to oppose the GOP leadership and bring true conservative opposition to big government.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013

Yea I don't care for the guy either, but this is one thing that I think really needs to be stood up against. I do not agree with killing Americans anywhere without transparency on the reasons why, and the methods. Its like we have just given cart blanche to the powers that be to kill anyone, anywhere without anyone knowing why, or if they were innocent/guilty.

It bugs me that the media has yet to give this more attention to this issue. It's only when you see these crazy loons fillibustering using this as an issue that it gets media attention.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Never been a fan of Rand Paul's politics. But at least he's using the filibuster right. I'm so far beyond tired of the Senate GOP minority's sociopathic and seditious overuse of the filibuster. There has literally never been anything as damaging to the well-being of America as the current GOP Senate minority. So it's nice to see one of them, while still abusing the filibuster, explaining himself.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
What people think you should do away with the filibuster. Nice straw man argument.

You might try reading for yourself. Harry Reid was called a fool for not doing so. Try the search feature if you can figure it out. Yeah it's a bitch when you get caught.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Then how did they hold up Hagell with only a hold filibuster not a talking filibuster?

"Despite the committee’s February 12 14-to-11 vote to approve Hagel, committee member James Inhofe vowed to use procedural tactics to delay a full Senate confirmation vote. Inhofe told the National Review “Each day that goes by will make it more difficult for Democrats who say they are pro-Israel to hold out.” On February 14 Republicans refused to close debate on Hagel's nomination, which would require 60 votes, even though the nomination was assured the simple majority of votes needed to pass.

Senate Republicans successfully filibustered his nomination after a cloture vote failed 58-40 with one present and one not voting. This filibuster marks the first time a cabinet nominee was successfully filibustered."

apparently the new rules aren't for higher level nominations
It does not apply to Cabinet positions, circuit court nominations or Supreme Court nominations.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...d-mcconnell-senate-filibuster-reform/1861991/

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Somewhere in here I see an advertisement for a snickers bar, the only thing Paul was rumored to eat during the first 10hrs.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Too bad all fillibusters weren't like this instead of the no effort ones the GOP pulls on an almost daily basis.

^Truth.

I also heard a political wonk suggesting that Rand Paul put Marco Rubio on notice that he'll have a fight for the 2016 nomination for President.

He certainly handled talking for 15 minutes plus better.

It was a stunt, but Senator Rand Paul chose a relevant subject to filibuster with no doubt.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
His filibuster worked, it forced Holder to go on record saying the President cannot willingly violate the Fifth Amendment on US Soil. He still says he can do it on foreign soil, which still bothers me, but it is a win nonetheless.

Apr 27, 2012
Rand Paul has declared victory!:D Finally a big defeat against obama and his cronies along with those republican idiots mccain/graham and the other neo-cons

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
You might try reading for yourself. Harry Reid was called a fool for not doing so. Try the search feature if you can figure it out. Yeah it's a bitch when you get caught.

Again, ur original argument was a strawman. Very few people have actually called for the elimination of the filibuster. THe filibuster has evolved since it's inception. People want to tweak the rules so that people actually have to filibuster like Rand Paul did or something similar where legislation isn't stalled just because of a threat to filibuster.