Filezilla server acting weird?

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
I have a local home network consisting of a cable modem and a linsys wireless router. I have my desktop PC hooked up to the 10/100 and my laptop and two roommates using the wireless.

I'm running Filezilla daemon on the desktop PC to store and back up school files. I also have the Shared Documents folder enabled on it. Oddly enough, when I access the FTP on the local network, it's a LOT slower than using the Windows File and Print sharing. What's even more unusual is that my connection speed from outside the network (with the port forwarded to the desktop) seems faster than the local LAN speed.

Is Filezilla a decent FTP daemon to use? Is Filezilla the culprit here? What do you recommend I do? Some of my files get pretty big, and it's annoying when the connection sucks.

nova2

Feb 3, 2006
I haven't had any problems with the filezilla ftp server in my LAN, it seems to be just as fast or nearly as fast as windows filesharing, unless you're trying to download many small files via FTP.

just curious, how large are these files you're moving around (in megs or gigs) ?

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
It's takes uncomfortably long to move around simple 500 kb cad files and disturbingly long to move around 50 meg Word documents (with lots of pictures and formulas embedded)