Question Files vs Photos?? Where is everything??

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I've been struggling with our iPad since we got it, mostly over 2 issues, files and accounts.

On a computer or an Android device Files will show every single user file on the device (and all the system files if you pick the correct options). I've had a heck of a time trying to access pictures 📸 with different apps and other devices.

Recently I seem to have discovered that pictures are not files and that the colored flower icon has access to all the pics. I don't even know what I'm asking but how do you find and locally share files, including pictures?

The other thing is that I've got myself confused between my account and the Kid's. When the iPad asks for an ID which one does it want? How do you know?

TIA!

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
What do you want to share pictures with? If you want to copy the pics to a PC, then just connect the device to a PC via the Lightning or USBC cable. The ipad will ask if you trust the PC. click yes, then through File Explorer you should be able to access the pics.

As for account, where is it asking for account? Most likely, it is your Apple ID. When you click on the Settings Icon, at the top of Settings should be the name associated with your Apple account. You can only have one Apple account on an ipad.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
What do you want to share pictures with? If you want to copy the pics to a PC, then just connect the device to a PC via the Lightning or USBC cable. The ipad will ask if you trust the PC. click yes, then through File Explorer you should be able to access the pics.

As for account, where is it asking for account? Most likely, it is your Apple ID. When you click on the Settings Icon, at the top of Settings should be the name associated with your Apple account. You can only have one Apple account on an ipad.
Re: Accounts I've got two 6 digit numbers that both look like Apple IDs. Two of everything because there are 2 Accounts but it doesn't ask for one or the other it expects you know which stinking info to type in. Maybe one of the 6 digit numbers is wrong or for something else?

Re: Files

We want to be able to draw on the same picture with several of the drawing programs on the iPad, like Linea Sketch, Drawing Pad and the built in drawing tools. Also we need to share the work with the kid's Google Drive.

The trouble is that I've been expecting pictures to be visible using the file manager but evidently pics are not files in Apple land. In fact the file program shows only a tiny amount of the files that are on the device. The File program has been the problem.

Using Googe Drive has been easy, finding the files you want to share after exiting the drawing program has been difficult, although now that I've found the photos icon I might be okay. 20220323_122155.jpg

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
I've got two 6 digit numbers that both look like Apple IDs.
Doesn't sound like an Apple ID to me. An Apple ID is an email account, not a number.
We want to be able to draw on the same picture with several of the drawing programs on the iPad, like Linea Sketch, Drawing Pad and the built in drawing tools.
You should be able to import pictures from the photo album directly from those programs (at least Linea Sketch, which is the only drawing app I'm familiar with). You can also send a picture from the photo app directly to another app using the share icon (square with an up arrow), or to Files.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
iOS devices are significantly more restrictive than traditional computers and Android devices. So with regard to the file situation, you're running head-long into Apple sandboxing approach for apps. All apps are their own silos with their own files, and they (generally!) cannot see each others files. This is to prevent bad actors from being able to access stuff they shouldn't be able to get to.

You should be able to import pictures from the photo album directly from those programs (at least Linea Sketch, which is the only drawing app I'm familiar with). You can also send a picture from the photo app directly to another app using the share icon (square with an up arrow), or to Files.
This^
The Photos.app works almost as a hub, developers can tap into APIs that allow you to view, copy, and edit any images that are "Saved to Photos".

I know it doesn't really address your problem, but it may help you to get into the correct mindset for the task at hand. In the same way that hammers and screwdrivers work differently; if you expect to be able to pound in a screw or twist in a nail, you're going to be frustrated when it doesn't work.

Reactions: lakedude

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Regarding local sharing the apps we need to share with are not on the list of programs available to share with.

It has been VERY frustrating. I always eventually figure out a way to share but the path is so long and convoluted that I can't do it again.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Regarding local sharing the apps we need to share with are not on the list of programs available to share with.

It has been VERY frustrating. I always eventually figure out a way to share but the path is so long and convoluted that I can't do it again.
The Share Sheet for each app can be edited. Open the share sheet and go all the way to the bottom to "Edit Actions...". From there you can re-order, enable, and disable the actions. And the horizontally scrolling bar of app icons can also be edited.