Files and folders from desktop randomly vanishing

Goatanizer6

Jun 5, 2017
Hi

So my Win 7 laptop has been behaving weirdly. I first noticed music files disappearing from a folder on my desktop. Then other files from other desktop folders and finally, one folder in it's entirety is gone. I also noticed in "my computer" that the free space of my C: drive kept increasing. It would liberate about 1gb every few minutes, sometimes a bit more.

A recuva scan showed that the files were deleted but not overwritten and thankfully, I was ablue to rescue things.

I did a Malware Bytes scan (just updated the database) and it found nothing. However I run scans each day and found something about two days ago, don't remember how the threat was called but it was successfully removed and the scans are clear since then. Any chance I could still be infected? Any specific viruses lately that act in this manner?

Thanks

Goatanizer6

Jun 5, 2017
That may be possible. However the drive is not so old, about 2 years. Also, I haven't experienced any freezing, which kept happening the one time I had a hard drive go bad.

It also seems like the deleting stopped after a reboot of the computer. Pretty strange stuff...

RolandJS

Mar 10, 2017
What background-running programs does this computer have? Is the computer on some kind of Cloud and/or external hard-drive sync? I'm grabbing at straws, trying to cough up a couple of possible causes of the file deletions.