figure out this problem and ill give you $.20 from paypal

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
ah ha! mrcide wins! facetious!

you guys were *kinda* right, but you cant repeat the letter...

sorry, bad instructions!

i dont remember what the other word is, hehehe

what is your paypal addy?

bmd

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2001
Only 2? I should get the $.20 for finding this:

The shortest word with the vowels in alphabetical order is AERIOUS (7 letters), meaning "airy." The OED2 shows one use of this word with this spelling in 1657. Other words with this property are ABSTEMIOUS, ABSTENTIOUS, ACERIFLORUM, ACERIFLORUS, ACHEILOUS, ACHEIROUS, ACLEISTOUS, ADECTICOUS, which is not in the OED2 but which the Internet shows is used as an adjective to describe a pupa with "non-functional mandibles," AEROBIOUS, AFFECTIOUS, ALEIKOUM, ANEMIOUS, ANNELIDOUS, ARCHEILOUS, ARSENIOUS, ARTERIOSUS, ARTERIOUS, AUTECIOUS, BACTERIOUS, CAESIOUS, FACETIOUS, FRACEDINOUS, PARECIOUS, PLACENTIOUS, TRAGEDIOUS, VACEIOUS.

andrey

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
ah ha! mrcide wins! facetious!

you guys were *kinda* right, but you cant repeat the letter...

sorry, bad instructions!

i dont remember what the other word is, hehehe

what is your paypal addy?

mrcide, make sure you don't spend everything at once after winning the jackpot! :)

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
damn my 56k always robs me

fyi
Abstemious, abstentious, adventitious, aerious, annelidous, arsenious, arterious, caesious and facetious are all words with all five vowels in order. If you count 'y' as a vowel, -ly can be added to most of them to get all six vowels

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
oh haha i dunno where i heard that then, stupid public school system

i remember being told in 9th grade that only 2 words have all of the vowels in order!

i dont care who gets the .20 haha, but i think bmd should get it for the good find! :)

bmd

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Turin39789
damn my 56k always robs me

fyi
Abstemious, abstentious, adventitious, aerious, annelidous, arsenious, arterious, caesious and facetious are all words with all five vowels in order. If you count 'y' as a vowel, -ly can be added to most of them to get all six vowels
I already posted most/all of those :p.

bmd

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2001
I also have some with reverse alphabetical order if you want those :p.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
bmd has cash! i sent him 11.20 instead haha, i checked my bank account and i was 11 dollars over a nice number, so i balanced both accounts :)

Frosty3799

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2000
bmd has cash! i sent him 11.20 instead haha, i checked my bank account and i was 11 dollars over a nice number, so i balanced both accounts :)

dayum, you can round it down another $100 by sending to me ;)

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Frosty3799

dayum, you can round it down another $100 by sending to me ;)

;)