FFIX is out now!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
It looks pretty good, I played on a 4k TV 60hz from my couch... I'm not sure I'd want to sit real close considering the original resolution of the backgrounds. Character models all looked good to me but my expectations were low heading into it so it wasn't going to take much to impress me. Game crashed once in a 50hour playthrough.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Well, we dont know what emulator you've been using. Post screenies.

oh i played it back in 2006/2007 on emulator with epsxe and probably some plugin that used directx9.
i remember thinking how amazing it was seeing it on 1280x1024 with settings turned up compared to the first playthrough when i only had a psx.

anyways i took a look on steam just now - looks like just what an emulator had. Streched out 2D, with very nicely filtered 3D.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
But faults aside, FF9 is still really fun and I enjoyed the hell out of the trip down memory lane. It's up there for second best, I stopped playing the series after FFX and neither that nor FF8 is going to beat FF9 for second place. I doubt I'll play FF8 again simply because of Squall, so that leaves FF4 as the last one left to replay I guess. Looking forward to it whenever I get around to it. :)

Because Squall is an emo bratt? I think alot of us actually would identify with him much more than we'd like to admit. Plus, he becomes a much better character later into the game.

The first two discs of FF8 are quite excellent. 3rd and 4th took things much further than necessary for what was by the end of the 2nd disc, a well told and well playing game. One of the biggest draws is the Triple Triad card system. Yes, FF9 has Tetra Master, but it's no where near as legendary as Triple Triad, since TT allowed for changing cards into often indispensable items and of course collecting rare character cards. A big part of TT was the dissemination of regional rules across the game world thanks to your travels and interactions with different populations.

From a nostalgia point of view, FF8 is my favorite since it was the first one I played a significant part of and actually completed.

I do enjoy FF7 but I find the fanboy/girl-ism and absolute cherishment of it annoying. It's received more love than necessary, and it's only because it was the first FF for so many people.

I never beat FF9, I think it was Kuja's desert castle after the Lifa Tree that was the furthest point I ever played. I have played the first disc multiple times, because that first disc is so freakin' enjoyable. With the game being on Steam, I'll likely spring for it. But I may wait to finish FFX HD on PS4 first. I've beaten FFX before, but my wife hasn't, so we might wait to beat that first.

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
never played a FF game. Is this is a reasonable first one to try ? No controller so it has to be fluid with kb/mouse but could care less if it is 30fps or 60fps or has borders.

I would go with the first one, to be honest, then skip to 4. That's the best in the series, and no one can dispute that :D:sneaky:

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
The first two discs of FF8 are quite excellent. 3rd and 4th took things much further than necessary for what was by the end of the 2nd disc, a well told and well playing game. One of the biggest draws is the Triple Triad card system. Yes, FF9 has Tetra Master, but it's no where near as legendary as Triple Triad, since TT allowed for changing cards into often indispensable items and of course collecting rare character cards. A big part of TT was the dissemination of regional rules across the game world thanks to your travels and interactions with different populations.

I do enjoy FF7 but I find the fanboy/girl-ism and absolute cherishment of it annoying. It's received more love than necessary, and it's only because it was the first FF for so many people.

I had literally the same opinion of FF7 until I replayed it a couple months ago (with mods to update the character models). FF7 now ranks as the best of them all for me and it's not close. My first Final Fantasy was FF1 on NES, but I think there's more to FF7 being great than just it being most people's first FF game.

Triple Triad was incredible, the best mini-game of them all... I remember being thrilled when it was announced FF9 was bringing it back but unfortunately they removed everything that made Triple Triad compelling. *sad face*

You know what, I'm going to replay FF8 now because Triple Triad is that good, you talked me into it. :) I'll just have to ignore Squall's whining bitch-fest b.s.

Last edited:

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I would go with the first one, to be honest, then skip to 4. That's the best in the series, and no one can dispute that :D:sneaky:

I don't think FF1 has aged well at all. I think it would be better to just start at IV. The remake of FF3 is very good, and it introduced the job system which FF5 mastered, but I wouldn't recommend playing it first.

I would play IV first, and only go earlier if it is a remake while keeping in mind that they are quite a bit lighter on story than IV+.

I believe the 3D remake of IV was well done, but I haven't played it. I played the re-released version on the NDS. I've also played some of IV on an emulator. Can't go wrong with any of those versions.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Thanks for the suggestion I need 1/2 decent graphics since my monitor is high resolution 27 inch (1080p is ok i guess but most of the games I play at higher resolution). I also require games with good keyboard mouse interface given that I don't have a controller nad in the past I've nto been able to adopt to a controller (been using keyboard/mouse too long).
-
Given those contraints do you still recommend 4 then 5 then 9 ?

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I don't think FF1 has aged well at all. I think it would be better to just start at IV. The remake of FF3 is very good, and it introduced the job system which FF5 mastered, but I wouldn't recommend playing it first.

I would play IV first, and only go earlier if it is a remake while keeping in mind that they are quite a bit lighter on story than IV+.

I believe the 3D remake of IV was well done, but I haven't played it. I played the re-released version on the NDS. I've also played some of IV on an emulator. Can't go wrong with any of those versions.

I dunno, I replayed FF1 when it was released on iOS a few years back. I thought it holds up pretty well. as well as the other ones? I dont know, I haven't played the others since they came out.

The music is great, and the ability to switch between the updated and old graphics is a good feature.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
My favorites are FF 2 and FF 7 (I only go by proper American numbers because those are the only ones that matter).

I played them all since FF1 was released on NES and while that was quite a revolution, it has not aged well. FF2 (SNES) was truly special, and while FF3 was great, it never captured the magic of FF2 for me.

FF7 was another monster entirely. I think the praise it gets is totally legit, but I think it's also the last great FF game. FF8 was a disaster in story and gameplay (the card game was fun, but the magic system was complete horseshit--hey, let's create a system that almost encourages you to never use it, because getting back to 100% is another tedious grind every time you cast a high level spell!)

FF9 was a gem, however, and very similar to the old FF2/FF3 games. Story not as great, but it was very competent return to the games that made the series great.

FFX had some fun moments--the battle system was great, but leveling/ability scheme was fun, until every character became equally overpowered (some valid complaint for materia in FF 7). Auron character was pretty awesome but the rest of the game was a turd. shitty characters, stupid story....the true beginning of the end, imo (unless you could say that was FF8, which is fair)

I'd suggest going with FF2, 3, 7, and 9. If it isn't an American number, it doesn't count. :D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks for the suggestion I need 1/2 decent graphics since my monitor is high resolution 27 inch (1080p is ok i guess but most of the games I play at higher resolution). I also require games with good keyboard mouse interface given that I don't have a controller nad in the past I've nto been able to adopt to a controller (been using keyboard/mouse too long).
-
Given those contraints do you still recommend 4 then 5 then 9 ?

FF 3...I think that is 5 with the fake numbers? probably needs a gamepad. Some of the characters have abilities that require button sequences to execute them properly (this is back when Street Fighter 2 was the shiznit..so similar idea).

maybe it's just me, but I could never do that with KB/M. XBOX controller should work perfectly fine, and they are only ~$30 new or even less.