FF7 PC re-release

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
One trick pony? how about the ones that came before? FF6 was awesome.

I still favor ff2 and ff7 the most myself. I've only played through 10.

FF7 had just the right amount of everything. It was a perfect formula with a great story, materia combinations for creative character setups, fun exploring, fantastic mini games such as the battle arena, chocobo breeding and racing, some of the best music to hit the series, and a great use of 3d.

FF2 is what pulled me into the fantasy setting. I must have been 9 years old. I sucked... I sucked bad. lol. The airships, mist, turning into a paladin, that crazy ass town where the twin mages came from, the old sage Tella.

And then somewhere in between there we had Chrono Trigger. Man.. that game. $80 at Meijers. It was worth every penny.

There aren't games that are memorable like this anymore. It just doesn't happen.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
One trick pony? how about the ones that came before? FF6 was awesome.

Don't ask me, ask them. Compared to their notes and the majority of FF playerbase, 7 outdid all of them.

never played 6... I think. Depends American FF6 was different numbered in Japan. So I am uncertain which number is which.

I have played (english numbered) 1,8,9,10,10-2,12. So my opinion can only encompass those.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The problem is they weren't truly known until the PSX hit the scene and gaming became much more mainstream than it ever had. FF7 was a brand new experience for such a large portion of the player base so it makes sense it is their favorite.

For some of us that played the older ones, 2 (jap 4), and 3( jap 6) were the best of the bunch. I have never been able to get myself to finish 7 for some reason, but I've finished 8 and 9. Couldn't finish 10-12.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
The problem is they weren't truly known until the PSX hit the scene and gaming became much more mainstream than it ever had. FF7 was a brand new experience for such a large portion of the player base so it makes sense it is their favorite.

For some of us that played the older ones, 2 (jap 4), and 3( jap 6) were the best of the bunch. I have never been able to get myself to finish 7 for some reason, but I've finished 8 and 9. Couldn't finish 10-12.

That is also the confusing part, the game numbering. I think English 6? The one with Kefka. I played that one on an emulator part way through, really liked it. But I cant stand emulators tbh so I never finished it.

I dont know how you couldnt finish 10. But to each his own. Took me 80 hours to beat 10... granted 40+ hours were spent on Blitzball. o_O

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Because in the 8-bit/16-bit era, since US game devs picked and chose which games to port to the US, they also made other changes (like to the names). Since there were games that were skipped and never released in the US, that would confuse us, so they had their own numbering system.

You also may know that SMB 2 was really a retexturing of a completely different game because US game devs thought that the "real" SMB 2 was too much like the first so it was never released here for many years. That's just how they did it then...

For some reason, when they moved to the PSX they chose to go with the Japanese number

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
You also may know that SMB 2 was really a retexturing of a completely different game because US game devs thought that the "real" SMB 2 was too much like the first so it was never released here for many years.
The "real" SMB 2 wasn't released here because it was considered too hard.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
The "real" SMB 2 wasn't released here because it was considered too hard.

Games back then were just harder in general.

The original Super Mario bros. I would still struggle today to beat that at times.

I opened up my nephews Super mario 3d land on the 3ds and beat that in just a few hours with 102 lives left by the end of the game.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I actually found my Final Fantasy 7 PC CDs last night... I was kind of excited! :p

Don't ask me, ask them. Compared to their notes and the majority of FF playerbase, 7 outdid all of them.

That's because most people that clamor over FF7 never played any of the 8-bit or 16-bit games.

FF7 had just the right amount of everything. It was a perfect formula with a great story, materia combinations for creative character setups, fun exploring, fantastic mini games such as the battle arena, chocobo breeding and racing, some of the best music to hit the series, and a great use of 3d.

Eh, 6 has the best music, and I hate to admit it, but 8, while being a pretty mediocre game, has the best mini-game. I loved playing Triple Triad!

For some reason, when they moved to the PSX they chose to go with the Japanese number

Based on threads like this, I think that decision worked out just fine. I say that because there seem to be a modest amount of people that never played any of the games before 7, and now you can buy the games with the original Japanese numbering scheme. So, to them... they find our talk of "FF3 on the SNES" rather confusing. :p

EDIT:

As for the numbering, they also thought that the games were too hard for us. Anyone here remember Final Fantasy Mystic Quest or rather "Final Fantasy Noob Edition for Silly Americans" Although, I like the battle music in the game. :$

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I still have my PC CDs in in my desk drawer.. There's mods to make it look better? Will have to find. :)

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Square said:
This weekend, our teams were testing the product website for the upcoming relaunch of Final Fantasy VII on PC. While the website was being tested in its live state, a small number of people were able to purchase a pre-release build of the game. For those customers, Square Enix will be offering full refunds for the purchases and for their inconvenience, a free version of the classic Final Fantasy VII on PC when it is launched.

We want to thank our community for their continued support and excitement regarding the upcoming rerelease of Final Fantasy VII. We will have more information to share about the launch of this anticipated title shortly.

hmm no comma after classic, hope that implies a remake. Good of them to give the game to those that tried to purchase it. I need to see if I have the FF7 discs anywhere.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
And then somewhere in between there we had Chrono Trigger. Man.. that game. $80 at Meijers. It was worth every penny.
I've been replaying CT again, repaying for it even (CT DS), and it's still awesome. It also helps that they put a lot of care into porting CT to the DS.

FF2 is what pulled me into the fantasy setting. I must have been 9 years old. I sucked... I sucked bad. lol. The airships, mist, turning into a paladin, that crazy ass town where the twin mages came from, the old sage Tella.
FYI, that is FF IV. I know, I know, but it helps to keep things straight. If you want to go buy a copy for a system today, FF II will not get you the game you remember as FF II :). Old US FF II == FF IV, and old US FF III = FF VI. Also, if you have a GBA, DS, DS Lite or DS XL (definitely the one to buy, for used/retro use), the FF Advance series are excellent ports.

That is also the confusing part, the game numbering. I think English 6? The one with Kefka. I played that one on an emulator part way through, really liked it. But I cant stand emulators tbh so I never finished it.
Got a gamepad? With a keyboard, I wouldn't be able to get anywhere.

As far as FF VII being re-done, Square has done a great job of ports/remasters over the last several years, so I wholly believe it won't be a screwed up port.