FF7 PC re-release

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
On July 4, 2012, Square Enix revealed that a PC re-release is forthcoming. The official website lists 36 new achievements to be unlocked, a significant online component and a "Character Booster." The game will be available exclusively via the Square Enix store, although no release date has been confirmed

From what I understand it is the previously released PC version, just likely updated for compatibility with newer machines. It probably won't look much different than the original release, except maybe a bit sharper if you play at high resolutions.

kia75

Oct 30, 2005
I sure hope they fixed the bugs in the game, due to bugs I could never beat it.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
The original pc release was buggy as hell. One thing I did like about it though was how you could make the music play using MIDI. Gave me something to feed to my roland midi synth for fun. lol. In the long run after dealing with bugs though, I think I ended up with an emulator to play the game on my pc as it was the most stable way to play.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
It probably won't look much different than the original release, except maybe a bit sharper if you play at high resolutions.
In that case, it will still look terrible compared to anything released in the last decade. D:

I played the PC version back then (with the Rage3D patch for Hardware acceleration) and don't remember encountering any serious bugs. I definitely enjoyed the game very much. What issues were there?

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
In that case, it will still look terrible compared to anything released in the last decade. D:

I played the PC version back then (with the Rage3D patch for Hardware acceleration) and don't remember encountering any serious bugs. I definitely enjoyed the game very much. What issues were there?

It's hard to recall, but I can remember upside down videos, certain parts of the game where it would lock up no matter what you do(I think you had to rely on a guide to do things in a specific order to avoid some bugs), sounds not being synced with animations, there was a problem with chocobo racing where the game would crash after the race... whatever else I can't remember.

I might be confusing some things with emulator problems though.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah not falling for this. Last time i bought FF7 for PC i got stuck at the submarine part, i docked it and it glitched and docked a few feet away from where the dock was and i was unable to get back into it so could not continue on in the game.

Guess what tech supports answer was? To give me a save file on the other side of the water, with characters that were barely leveld and had crap money crap materia and were missing alot of the items you cannot go back and get later. How the hell is that a solution since i had played the game before and had missed nothing and had very well equiped team at the time.

fabiencolombo

Jun 14, 2012
That's why I ended up using an emulator. You can upscale the resolution and apply a lot of post processing effects. If they did this as well as fix the bugs I'd consider buying it again though if I didn't own it on my PSP.

That one is actually the pc version :)
I tried both (pc and emulator) and finally decided the pc version was the best choice.
Why? Complete retextures ability to change character models and recompressed cinematics.
Cause, it doesn't matter how well your graphic filters work on epsxe, the cinematics still look like crap :)

And a ff7 with 20Gb of modding is a sight to behold :)

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
That one is actually the pc version :)
I tried both (pc and emulator) and finally decided the pc version was the best choice.
Why? Complete retextures ability to change character models and recompressed cinematics.
Cause, it doesn't matter how well your graphic filters work on epsxe, the cinematics still look like crap :)

And a ff7 with 20Gb of modding is a sight to behold :)

Nice. I'd totally play it again if they did this officially and perhaps expanded on the game a bit. (throw in something like the card game from ff8)... or even better... expand on chocobo breeding/racing and make it more badass. Turn it multi player perhaps and deepen its complexity. Man, they could probably make a game all in its own just from this.

I remember staying up until 4am trying to beat that damn pirate ship in the battle arena over and over again. I was too young and dumb to understand the usefulness of equipment that made the (fling you out of the fight action) null. I think it was the ribbon that nullified it.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
pretty sure they're not adding anything and this is just a repackaging, aka money grab.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
So.. if I wanted to play through FF7 again, what's the best way?

Original PC game plus mods?

Emulator? Which system? What emu's work on PC that have FF7 with most up to date graphics?

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Remember the FF7 vids when the PS3 came out. What a tease.

Lol yeah. They didn't even touch the game. All they did was take the original source video, sharpened it and encoded it with newer codecs. It doesn't take much to make it look better than the low resolution high compressed video included on the PS1 disc. The funny thing is it worked. They saw a bump in sales because of it, even though it was pure marketing.

Last edited:

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
So.. if I wanted to play through FF7 again, what's the best way?

Original PC game plus mods?

Emulator? Which system? What emu's work on PC that have FF7 with most up to date graphics?

ePSX with the proper codecs and settings should get you the best experience as of now. There are tons of info out there about it. Until the updated PC version gets released, no one knows what type of quality jump there will be, if any.

festa_freak

Dec 2, 2011
I'm on the fence about getting this. While I loved the original, I still own the pc version.

I think I was lucky. The game didn't freeze until the second phase (or so I think) phase of the last boss fight. I got past the chocobo's and other game ruining moments! Heck, I'll probably load up the old game and get all the mods out there to make it look better than this new version!

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
pretty sure they're not adding anything and this is just a repackaging, aka money grab.

im sure people will buy this crap, but i cant help to think that they would make more money if they just invested in actually re-making this game.

Doom 3 is gonna sell for like 30 bucks, and that didnt even need it. If they had all new graphics, and added some content (battle arena, challenge modes, etc) I would gladly pay 30 or so bucks for it.

Think about how many people have a attachments to this game. Do it over and do it right and TONS of people will buy.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
im sure people will buy this crap, but i cant help to think that they would make more money if they just invested in actually re-making this game.

Doom 3 is gonna sell for like 30 bucks, and that didnt even need it. If they had all new graphics, and added some content (battle arena, challenge modes, etc) I would gladly pay 30 or so bucks for it.

Think about how many people have a attachments to this game. Do it over and do it right and TONS of people will buy.

They already said they will not remake or enhance FF7 until they believe they have made a better/more successful game in this series. Because they would rather not have it seen as FF7 being their one trick pony. or whatever they said.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
They already said they will not remake or enhance FF7 until they believe they have made a better/more successful game in this series. Because they would rather not have it seen as FF7 being their one trick pony. or whatever they said.

ouch its gonna be a pretty hard slap in the face when they probably sell more copies of this game than whatever garbage they come out with next. Maybe someday theyll do it.

For the record, loved 7, liked 8 more, never finished 9, although i heard it was very good. 10 was my favorite FF game, and was also the last i played/enjoyed. X-2 was awful, i tried 13, but lost interest. Random battles are a deal breaker for me.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
ouch its gonna be a pretty hard slap in the face when they probably sell more copies of this game than whatever garbage they come out with next. Maybe someday theyll do it.

For the record, loved 7, liked 8 more, never finished 9, although i heard it was very good. 10 was my favorite FF game, and was also the last i played/enjoyed. X-2 was awful, i tried 13, but lost interest. Random battles are a deal breaker for me.

Never played 7
Liked 8
Loved 9 and 10 (10-2 was ok at best, interesting is a better term for that)
Never played 11 the MMO
Didn't care for 12s new active fighting style and quick BOOM 1 shot summons to kill bosses.
Never played anything beyond 12

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007

One trick pony? how about the ones that came before? FF6 was awesome.